Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tinker1121

Mattress Poll- reviews of recent mattress purchases

tinker1121
9 years ago

For those of us in need of replacing our mattresses and currently shopping and still navigating the mattress jungle, thought it would be helpful to do a poll and have a compact thread to refer to. There is a ton of information out there on the sleeplikethedead.com and other sites but make your head spin after about 30 minutes when you go completely into info overload.

Though I appreciate all the information on great experiences with special order latex mattresses and specialty retailers etc., please post your experiences, likes and dislikes with mattresses purchased in the last year at a local retailer.

Thanks very much!

Comments (160)

• dedtired
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I have been sleeping in the guest room until the arival of my new mattress this Saturday. At least I hope that will be the end of sleeping in the guest room! The mattress on my bed in the "master" or should I say "mistress" since I get it all to myself, is so bad it started giving me terrible backaches.

Anyhoo, I always knew the mattress in the guest room was quite firm (not sure what I was thinking when I ordered it), but since sleeping in there I realize it is almost like sleeping on a board. I decided to order a mattress topper for it and am waiting for this one (but queen size) to arrive. I almost got the one from Costco, now I am glad I did not.

I will report back on the comfort of the topper and the new mattress. Lordy, I hope they are both comfy. I am tired of playing musical beds.

Here is a link that might be useful: Milliard topper

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I have been sleeping in the guest room until the arival of my new mattress

dedtired, same here. It was supposed to arrive this morning, but the delivery window was wrong for me, so I rescheduled for Wednesday. I love my guest room mattress, but I want to be back in my own room.

My daughter stayed with me a few days so I let her have the guest room and I used the aerobed atop my bed frame. Once I got the amount of air just right, it wasn't a bad sleep at all, except it was way too high and incredibly ugly.

So, I wait...

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Mine's coming Saturday too! We actually got a new bed last week, and its propped up against the wall awaiting the arrival of the new mattress (different size than current box spring and mattress). We've never in 41 years of marriage had an actual bed before - just a box spring and mattress on a metal frame. This is an actual headboard, sides, and foot -- can't wait!!

• Bunny
    9 years ago

Aw, SJ, now you're all grown up. ;-)

I wouldn't mind a new bed, but I'm not going to push it. I do know that I must have a foot on mine.

• clax66
    9 years ago

I love our Kingsdown mattress.

I don't know the situation in the US, but here in Canada, do not pay the full sticker price but be prepared to negotiate! We knocked off thousands from our mattress price because of a thread found on Red Flag deals and the retailer was able to match the lowest price we found.

• Debbi Branka
    9 years ago

This is a bit late, but we had the mattress dilemma 3 years ago. Actually, it started long before that. I had a waterbed, full wave, which I adored. Through all of my pregnancies (30 years ago) and afterwards. I loved my waterbed. Then they became near impossible to find. So we started shopping. First we tried the "bowling ball" bed - remember those? On the commercial they place a glass of wine on one side and then drop the bowling ball on the other side and the wine is not disturbed. After a week, my back started hurting (I was only in my 30s at this time). After a month I couldn't take it any more so we returned the mattress. Like others here, we got the credit, but had to spend it at that store on another mattress. We looked a lot and bought a Kingsdown. (Clax, I hope you have better luck.) We loved the Kingsdown (number 1 - softest), but after a short while, it became very misshaped. Bulged out at one side and sunk in the middle. They came out and measured and called it defective. Replaced with another. This time we got the 2 on my side and 3 on his side (I think). Again, it was alright for a while, but my back started hurting a lot. We didn't notice any visual flaws - just my bad back. I went to several doctors and had xrays, MRIs, etc. of my back. Finally one doctor told me I had a disc slightly out of line and wanted to do surgery. I opted to wait for the surgery until I was really "dying" from pain. We then bought a new house and noticed the bed sagging in the middle again. They came out, found it defective, and replaced (now our third Kingsdown mattress). Miraculously my back pain stopped! So I think the doctor who said I needed surgery must've needed to send a kid to college or something. And the old mattress was horrible. So 2 years after this third Kingsdown, we decide we want a king sized bed (we had a queen). I read a zillion reviews. Found an AWESOME website that I was surprised had not been mentioned in this thread already. http://www.sleeplikethedead.com/ I found this website so helpful and informative. Because of this site, I decided we needed to look at a Tempurpedic again. We spent a long time in the store. We really liked it. Decided to bite the bullet and try it (I would never buy another Kingsdown or recommend it to anyone). We've had our Tempurpedic for 3 years now and love it. I don't have back pain from sleeping. I hate getting out of bed in the morning :) It's comfortable all the time. I'm 51 and have had night sweats for about 10 years. I still have them, sometimes, but this bed is no different that our traditional innerspring Kingsdown was as far as heat. I'm not hot in this bed or cold. It's perfect and I can't say enough good things about it. It was expensive. We got it on 5 years no interest, so I'm actually still paying on it, but no interest and small payments. We sleep with dogs (and used to have cats too), so the mattress cover (sold by Tempurpedic) went on this mattress the moment it came into our house. It really is waterproof and not crunchy. Washes well.

Having said all this, my son bought an iComfort Serta at the same time as we bought our Tempurpedic. He loves his mattress too and has no complaints. He was 28 at the time and is single, so only one person in his bed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sleep Like the Dead

• tinker1121
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for posting deb52899 as hoping this post helps those shopping for a mattress.

What is the name/model of your Tempurpedic?

Linelle, how's the ISeries mattress?

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Three more days and I'll be able to post how I like my new mattress - yay! (and that day, I'm going on an 8 mile hike in the morning, so I should really NEED a good mattress that night!)

• Debbi Branka
    9 years ago

Gosh Tink, I think it's the Contour. I know it's not Cloud. But now they have different names (and looks) than they did in 2011 when I bought it. Contour sounds pretty right though (I'm at work and can't check, although I don't think it says on the mattress itself).

• Bunny
    9 years ago

Finally. The Serta Vantage arrived yesterday and Night #1 went well. I've been second-guessing myself for getting a Firm, but I think it will be okay. Bottom line is I slept fine and have no aches or pains this morning. It's amazing how 2 inches more height makes my bed look so different.

I went through delivery hell with Sears. Twice officially changing the delivery date resulted in it either changing to a different date or "we show it was delivered" when it wasn't. Got so mad I thought I would stroke out. Talking on the phone wasn't working. The minute I started posting on Twitter and Facebook about this, I got attention and resolution. On FB my cousin started chiming in and it was not helpful at all, as she is such a loose cannon that I felt her comments undermined my position. I had to hide her posts and privately tell her to shut up.

• tinker1121
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Linelle. Hope it works out for you but I think Sears has a comfort exchange should that firm be too firm. Like you really want another delivery!

I bought a stove from them and also a refridgerator and the delivery went smoothly.

I am still loving my Sealy Hybrid Encourage and hate getting out of bed in the morning. I bought new bamboo sheets and they are smooth and soft and also add to the feeling. I put the quilted type mattress protector/pad on that I had purchased for the Beautyrest pillowtop mattress from hell, and that has a nice feel to it and think the bamboo sheets help.

All's well for me and hope others awaiting delivery or still shopping make out ok.

So as far as the poll it is apparrent that the Sealy, Serta, Simmons etc. inner spring mattresses are not what they used to be quality, comfort and longevity wise.

It appears that Tempurpedic, the new hybrids like Sealy Hybrid and Serta and those lucky enough to be able to shop at small independant mattress manufacturers are having the best luck.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

tinker, I think the delivery would have been fine had I not made the two changes. In one I actually spoke to a person at Sears who confirmed the change. But it didn't last. Another I made on line and it also confirmed, even showing the new day and delivery window. That's the one they told me was delivered. After escalating the call, when they said someone would get back to me within 24-48 hours, I lost it. But I didn't curse, so there's that. Taking it to social media gets their attention, fast.

It's not too firm, just firmer than I'm used to. In the store the firm felt like plush, so I figure there will be some softening up. I suspect that the firm is probably better all around for me, but I miss the plush.

I bought a new quilted mattress pad so while it's firm, it still has a softness about it. I like it 1000% better than the Casper. Also way better than the aerobed. :)

• dedtired
    9 years ago

The new Verlo mattress was delivered just now. First of all, although it is only two inches higher than my old mattress, it looks like I will need a ladder to get into it! When I actually try it out, it's not too high. The old mattress sagged down so much when I sat on the edge, this one seems much higher. It has nice edge support,though.

So far I have only flopped on it for a few minutes, and it feels just a tad firmer than I expected. That was on the bare mattress, no pad. I'm going out tonight so I think I will just sleep in the guest room rather than mess with the linens and blankets. It smells fine, no gassing off needed. Once I've slept on it a couple nights, I will decide how I like it. I really don,t want to go through getting this one out to be adjusted and delivered again. It was quite a tight squeeze getting it around the bend in the upstairs hall. The ceiling fan in my bedroom got bonked a couple times in the process, no harm done.

The Milliard gel foam mattress pad for the guest room was delivered yesterday. P.u. Does that thing stink. It is out on the covered porch airing out now. All the reviews on Amazon say the smell dissipates in two days. If it doesn't,t, it is going back. I did lay it on the bed and tried it and it felt very comfy as long you could hold your breath!

Sure hope I love the new mattress. By the way, did you all tip the delivery men? I did not and they did not seem not expect it. None of that standing in the doorway with an expectant look.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

dedtired, mine is 2" higher than my old one and it is like a glaring thing to me. I notice it the minute I walk into the bedroom. What a difference 2" can make!

I'm ashamed to say I did not tip the delivery men. After all the irritation over the bungled deliveries, then they were here a couple of minutes and were gone. I forgot all about it.

• dedtired
    9 years ago

I'm glad I didn't tip the deliverymen. Tonight I noticed that they broke a little statue that my son made when he was a kid. I really loved that thing. It was a surfer standing on a wave. So cute. It can be glued back together. They must have noticed that they did it. It would have been nice if they had apologized.

Linelle, yes those two inches are huge. I sort of have to put my knee up on the bed to get in it. No more falling onto bed. I'm sure I will get used to it soon.

• tinker1121
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I got a regular boxspring this time instead of "low profile" and as you both said, what a difference a couple of inches make. I like it higher and I do need to scoot up on it and I am tall. But laying in it is nice and I think I wouldn't have liked the low profile box spring.

Looking forward to your review dedtired.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

This is only a partial review - the new mattress is very comfortable (certainly a whole lot better than the old one which was, well, old). I can't give it a true review today though because I hiked 8 miles yesterday, a good deal of it a challenging uphill, so I ached before I ever got in bed - not fair to the bed to review it today!

• dedtired
    9 years ago

Hi. Had to bump this back up, mostly because I need to talk about all the mattress weirdness that's been going on. The Verlo mattress was delivered and OMG the thing is so hard it is like lying on the dining room table. I have been so upset. I decided to wait a couple days before I called them to ask that it be adjusted. So I finally called this morning and talked to the guy who makes the mattresses. He said Oh I've been meaning to call you. The mattress I made for you is a"little on the firm side" ( understatement of the year) . He wants to pick it up and rebuild it.

I have a feeling he wouldn't have called if I had not called first. The delivery guys were kind of hard on the house and I am not looking forward to having the mattress go out and in again. I have to say that they must make a very tight turn in the upstairs hall.

Of course, this is a big pain inthe patoot at this time of year. I have enough to do to prepare for Christmas without dealing with this.

So, we'll see what I end up with after the mattress rebuild. At least they seem anxious to make me happy, but I wish I had been happy on the first go round. The mattress also is very high and that is taking some getting used to.

Now for the mattress topper I ordered for the bed in the guest room. It is very comfy and solves the problem of the firm mattress in there, at least as far as comfort goes. Unfortunately I cannot get rid of the chemical smell. I aired it out for a few days ( including 24 hours out on the porch) and although it has improved, I can still smell it.

I am not real happy right now but I'm holding out hope for the mattress. Why the heck is everything so aggravating? It just seems that way lately. Aaargh.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Day 3 and I'm sleeping well. The mattress (European Sleepworks Alpine HDM, which is a coil and latex mattress, on a flexible slat system (the latter isn't required, but we thought it more comfortable than the mattress on a platform) is very comfortable. Of course, now I'm not so sure about the pillow I so loved! (it's always something, isn't it?)

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I can't make up my mind about my new mattress. Well, I don't hate it the way I hated the Casper, so there's that.

Right now I'm thinking it's okay. I have three options:

1) Wait until 30 days is up and exchange it for a plush.
    2) Swap it with my favorite-ever mattress in the guestroom.
    3) Do nothing and maybe learn to love it.

There is a bit of a smell to it, a mild version of the Casper, must be the latex content of the topper. I think I've finally figured out what it smells like. Sorry to be gross, but it's slightly reminiscent of asparagus pee, with a toasty finish. Unlike the Casper, the smell seems to be dissipating. I would leave it naked to air out, but I want to keep it in pristine condition lest I decide to swap it and I don't trust my cats to not snag a thread.

I feel like the Princess and the Pea. The extra 2" height bothers me to look at and also when it comes time to get out of bed. With less sag on the edges, it seems more pronounced.

The firmness is noticeable but not really in a bad way. It's just noticeable and I really prefer to sleep in my bed, not notice things. I always fall asleep on my back and it's kinda pleasant. Apparently then I roll over and sleep on my stomach and that's when I'm more aware I'm on a strange new mattress.

I have a new quilted mattress cover and it helps soften the firmness. I awake pain-free so I guess that's a huge thing, unlike the Casper that went 2 for 2 for morning pain.

In the store the plush and firm sides felt the same, very broken in. I'm not so sure swapping for a plush will make me any happier. I'm inclined to stay with this one (option #3) knowing I can always swap it with my other mattress (#2).

• dedtired
    9 years ago

OMG, we are living parallel lives. LOL. Here's wishing us all a good night's sleep, very soon.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I have to blame some of this on my cats. They have a vying-for-position nightly ritual that wakes me up and I have to tell them to knock it off. Then there's the 5 a.m. game of tag that involves running across every piece of furniture in the bedroom. I can't really blame that on the mattress. Although, cats react to everything and it's possible they are also disturbed by the firmness and extra 2 inches.

• tinker1121
    Original Author
    9 years ago

How is everyone doing with the new mattresses?

• dedtired
    9 years ago

So, they came and got my mattress and adjusted it so it is less firm. It's pretty comfy now, maybe just a tad on the firm side, but nice. He also lowered the box springs by two inches. I certainly cannot complain about the customer service at Verlo.

However, I put my two inch gel foam mattress topper on it and oh boy, is that nice. I have been sleeping like a rock and am MUCH less stiff and sore in the morning.

Unfortunately, the topper makes the bed ridiculously high. I have to step on the side rail to get in. I do like getting up. I just slide right into a standing position.

It took more than a week for the topper to lose the stinky smell. That was dreadful.

I saw a thinner topper at BB&B and I think I will give that one a try. I like the feel of a little memory foam on top.

I can hardly believe that the last time I bought a mattress I went to one store, found one I liked, had it delivered and that was that. This time is was quite the shopping odyssey. I have come to the conclusion that there is too much advice out there.

How's everyone else doing?

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Mine feels great when I lay down every night. I don't know that I'm sleeping any better, but I'm less creaky in the morning, which is good. I do need to have one adjustable slat adjusted - it's just in the wrong place for my back, but moving it is supposed to be easy.

Now onto linens that fit a 9" mattress.

• 4boys2
    9 years ago

NO ....Don't go on to linens...
    I still am looking for feedback on mattresses :)

I'm having a hard enough time weeding through the "mattress topper" input.........

Can we start a new thread ???

• dahoov2
    9 years ago

wow; great thread but I got tired half way down. So I didn't finish reading it. I need a mattress in the next few short months. I currently have a mattress (don't know what it is and hubby is sleeping on it so I can't check right now) that was the best the store had like 10 or so years ago. I paid about 1600 plus for it and at that time, that was a lot of money. It was a medium-firm bed with that stupid memory foam topper. HATE IT. Hated it always. It's only good for about 5 min and then you're hot and sinking.... and you can't flip the mattress. In the morning when hubby goes to work, I slide to the middle so I can get a cooler/harder non sinking spot for about 5 minutes!

I would never buy a pillow top either for several reasons. More dust mite ability...can't flip it and can feel lumpy after a while. Nope not that.

I was spying a sleep number bed but here's the deal with that. The one I want is like 10k. I am not paying that much for a bed. So that's out.

I keep seeing latex talked about. Isn't that similar to memory foam? I'd of thought that'd be hot too....

Bamboo? That might be an option.

I've heard those hotel beds were good but here's the deal with that. It's not like it used to be. Before you'd actually get the bed type they used in hotels. Now, they manufacture them with that label under the guise.... and charge you extra.

What about old fashioned horse hair beds or whatnot. Don't they have beds along those lines?

I heard from a lot of retailers when looking at beds, everything is about coil count. They lie about that too. I've bought the best coil count I could have and NOPE. Sux.

I just don't know. I need a firmer, cooler and bigger bed. I can get a king instead of queen and a cooling gel pad I can just get to go over like a topper. But how to get that nice firm bed that won't sag? I don't think they make them anymore. Maybe I'm just jaded. I think someone above was right. It's a racket. They don't make things to last. It's a greed thing.

• tinker1121
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, this thread has gone into overload but lots of good stuff here. I started this as thought the topic could be streamlined but it is not a simple matter.

IMHO, I don't feel we should have to pay upwards of $1500 for a mattress set and then have to retrofit with buying toppers that can cost $100 to $200.

One other warning I have for those shopping is don't pay a lot of attention to the names; firm, luxury firm, plush, etc. can be misleading.

After a month, I feel I made the perfect choice with the Sealy Hybrid (part inner spring, part a concoction of foam that is their design). My model is the "Encourage Plush" but it is not really plush, but pleasingly firm. I don't find it to sleep hot and I overheat very easily. There is a firmer model named Ability but I would say too firm if you are a side sleeper. Another plus is that this mattress has the exact same feel from edge to edge. I side sleep and don't like most of the edge supports on mattress when you can feel them. Not the case with this one and a nice comfy, bouncy foam feeling all the way across.

I look forward to getting in it at night but don't get the ahhhhhh feeling I had with my old $600 Sealy Posturpedic "plush" mattress that turned too soft and lumpy.

Simple advice I have is:
    -Spend a good 20 minutes on the bed in the store and read the reviews on the model you are considering.
    -Go back to the store several times at different times of the day and see if you still like it.
    -Know it is not fun and will take a long time.
    -Be aware of the return policy and don't feel badly or avoid returning or exchanging because it is a hassle.
    -Be aware and measure carefully how high the set will be on your frame. Average height should be 25" from the floor.
    -IMPORTANT- they don't feel at home like they did in the store! Mine is much firmer than the floor model I tried at several different stores.

Good luck and keep posting unless someone feels a new thread is in order.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sealy Hybrid

This post was edited by tinker1121 on Thu, Dec 18, 14 at 5:46

• Bunny
    9 years ago

Just checking in after nearly 2 weeks on my Serta iSeries Vantage firm.

I'm undecided, but leaning towards okay. Not a ringing endorsement, but I'm still mourning my old saggy plush Sealy that was probably bad for me, but I loved it.

Off-gassing smell is virtually gone.

It's definitely on the firm side, but not in a bad way. There's still some softness on the top that gives me a bit of an embrace. I just wish there was more, but I suspect this firm is better for me.

I sleep as well as I did on my old mattress, although I tend to be more aware that I'm on a new one. I don't know if that's a good or bad thing, or just my mind playing games.

I woke up this morning on a diagonal thanks to two cats camped where my torso should have been.

What I dislike the most is the extra height. It's not really the mattress's fault. A plush version would do the same thing, but I'm not going to buy a new lower bed frame.

Okay, the thing I hate is getting out of bed in the morning, and not because I just want to stay in bed. I swing around to a sitting position and my feet are dangling. I have to slide off to hit the ground and I think the maneuvering can put my softened up back at risk. Hah, maybe I need to saw two inches off the legs of my bed.

I have a couple more weeks to go before I decide if I want to swap this for a plush. I don't know if that's a good idea.

SJ, slat adjusted? Under the mattress? You are truly the Princess and the Pea. :)

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

I'm so glad you all are having some success with your new mattresses and sorry for those of you in a similar situation of mattress trials and delivery madness! BTW, I tried the Sleep Number bed a few years ago and did not like it at all. It is currently upstairs in the guest room with a three inch foam topper on it and it's only tolerable for a short night. It's hard and it's not bottom of the line. The materials seem very cheap for the money they ask for it. It's an expensive marketing ploy and I did not like that it comes to your house in multiple boxes and you have to put it together or pay a ridiculous amount for them to put it together. Nothing is said about that until the end. You don't pick it up at the store and they don't deliver from the store, it comes from a warehouse and then you have all that packing material at your house to dispose of. If you don't like it you have to return it repacked. What a hassle. I would never go that route again.

Our new mattress Serta from Hilton to Home is not working for us. I should never have bought a firm mattress (my fault). It's too firm and I haven't had a good night's sleep yet. I am waking up at 4 and getting up and staying up because I don't want to bother with trying to get back to sleep because I won't. I have a headache everyday. I bought a one inch foam topper from a local mattress place, that didn't help. Then I put a two inch latex topper on from an online store, Sleep on Latex. I got the medium firm soft and it is too firm and didn't make any difference. I called and asked if I could return it for a soft one…yes, since it had not been 30 days yet. So now I have to figure out how to package that beast up (king) to haul it to the UPS Store. I know I am princess and the pea!

We replaced the upstairs guest room ancient queen bed with a new Serta i-comfort when my husband's relatives were coming to visit (did not end up coming due to flights being canceled~ long story). So I did an inaugural sleep on that this week and it is too firm for me though not as firm as the Serta Hilton to Home in our room. But I can tell the i-comfort in the guest room is a very good mattress and far better, solidly made, feels the same all the way to the edge. If it was just a tiny bit softer it would be the perfect mattress. I wish we had gotten the i-comfort for our room, it is just a better mattress and if I got it in the softest version…perfection, or so I'm thinking. Oh well... Onward!!! Oh and not to mention the bed is getting ever higher as we pile on the toppers.. I can literally slide off and be standing, lol as someone else said. Sort of weird but whatever…I even have the low profile box spring.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I have no box springs. I would need a step ladder to get in and out of my bed.

tinker, my guest bed (with wonderful old Sealy plush) is 26" from the floor. My new Serta is 29". Those three inches feel like 12.

• dedtired
    9 years ago

I have been sleeping like a baby on the combo of the new mattress and topper. I just measured the height -- 31"!! I am 5'6". I actually like the height when getting up. I just slide to a standing position. Getting in is another story and the topper may have to go.

Tinker, very true. The mattresses in the store feel different from the one that gets delivered to your house. Just consider the floor model to be kind of close, not accurate.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Mine is only 20" - if anything, its about 2" too short, but I hated the height of the previous one so much, and I'll take too low over too high.

Linelle, the European Sleepworks mattress (which is a combination of coils and latex), can be placed on a platform or on their (expensive) adjustable slat system. We tried both and felt the latter was noticeably better for both of us. The bed itself has slats, but they're so far apart, I think the mattress would sag in between the slats!

Gr8day - there are many varieties of the Serta iComfort mattress - some are foam only, some are coils and foam, and they range from very soft to very firm. The only reason we didn't get one is we couldn't agree on one firmness, and with European Sleepworks, we could split it in two (the support layer is the same, but the top of my DH's side is firmer than the top on my side).

• sas95
    9 years ago

I prefer too low over too high, also.

I'm glad you like the European Sleepworks mattress, sjhockeyfan. We tested the one you bought in the store and came pretty close to buying it before we opted for an all-latex one. But I am thinking about putting the Alpine in the guest room.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

European Sleepworks has a nice website and their prices aren't bad. I just wish they had a store closer to me.

I think I might go back to Sears and test out the mattress I already bought. This is getting stupider by the day. :) I really need to think about swapping my firm for a plush.

I still don't know when or why this became so difficult.

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

Add me to the Big Bed Buying Brigade. I'll try for brevity :-)

We had: Stearns & Foster king - within 2 years had 2 distinct depressions, one from DH one from me, that did not meet qualifiers for replacement. They recommended we place a board between the depressions and weight it during the day with DH's huge dumbbells when we weren't using the bed in order to 'balance' the depressions. Seriously. That's what they recommended. We kept the bed, it was generally comfortable and we were lazy.

We moved with no bed, planned to find a small local mfg, something semi-organic, maybe purchase on-line, follow all the advice here and get THE bed - whatever that might be. While staying in a temporary furnished cottage we found a house to rent and had to scramble and get a bed. Saatva would take 2 weeks, local foo foo organic places wanted to tap a vein and would take 2 weeks to 'craft' our bed. I spent hours reading on line, here, trying to educate myself well enough to know the perfect bed and how to find it. This purchase was becoming a lot like work with a ton of driving place to place. And during that process I did discover I don't like foam - not memory, not tallalay, not dunlop, not combos. Apparently my body is not an educated consumer.

Decided to buy the guest bed that would be needed and use it as our temporary bed. Went to **Mattress Man** :-) bought a queen Southerland Sleepmaster Plush and after several nights decided to buy another in a king and call it done. However it wasn't in stock and suddenly my interest in mattress shopping went out the window. I asked which mattresses were in stock and could be delivered the next day, flopped on each one (DH didn't even bother and left it to me while he and the salesman watched) and made my choice. Beautyrest Jillian King Firm. My favorite bed ever was a queen Beautyrest that we had before we graduated to a king and it looks like this new one will give that one a run for the money. It's only been a couple of weeks but we're both sleeping great, waking without aches.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

Dim, the best mattress is the mattress you like. Glad you found something as good as your old Beautyrest.

I shouldn't complain. The smell is virtually gone, I sleep well and wake without aches.

• tinker1121
    Original Author
    9 years ago

How is everyone doing with your new mattresses and/or has anyone else found one they like?

Still loving my Sealy Hybrid Encourage!

• Bunny
    9 years ago

Tinker! I've been thinking about this thread lately too.

I like my Serta iSeries Vantage, a lot. I just rotated it, sooner than I normally would, but decided it will help me adjust.

It's taken me awhile to get used to a firmer mattress, but I think in the long run, it's probably giving me better support. It feels so different, but not in a bad way. Back, stomach, side--they all feel good.

I went back to Sears and tried out the plush version. But the store mattresses are so beat up and broken in that I don't know if you can truly assess them.

So, I'm sticking with my firm Vantage. It's good and I don't regret buying it. All paid for, too. :)

The extra 2 inches are not the end of the world.

• dedtired
    9 years ago

Don't you love how you wake up with no aches? I never realized how much of my morning Chinese was due to the mattress. I attributed a lot of it to old age. No more morning aches now. Maybe I am getting younger. I like my Verlo a whole lot. It's still just a little too firm ( not much) to be ideal. Still, I am sleeping like a baby. I took the foam topper off due to the height, but I kind of miss it.

I agree that mattress shopping has gotten nuts. It used to be that nearly every mattress for sale was inner spring. Foam was out there, too. Now there are so many choices, and frankly too much information. Every detail is sliced and diced a thousand ways. In the end it's kind of a crap shoot.

Enjoy your new mattress, folks and my condolences to those of you still on the hunt.

• annietibs
    8 years ago

I nearly purchased a 6K tempur-pedic bed, but ultimately decided against it. The bed itself was great (how couldn't it be for 6K), but I decided there was just no way a bed could be worth THAT much.

I know this thread is supposed to be about retail experience, so in a way it is. I had a very mediocre experience, decided it wasn't worth the money, and went for an online mattress instead.

I now sleep on the Casper (after trying the Tuft & Needle). I won't derail this thread with a lot of info on it. But in short, it sleeps great, feels great, and the price was very good. This review has some good info for anyone interested: http://sleepopolis-mattress-reviews.com/reviews/casper-mattress-review/

• dahoov2
    8 years ago

I was thinking about buying a Sleep number bed. Anyone have an opinion? My hubby snores (though his weight loss has cured at minimum 2/3 of the problem) and they have an adjustable. They also have a "cooling" one? I don't know how this cooling aspect works... but to get a firm, adjustable, cool bed sounds heavenly. Also pricey. When I priced it out, it was like 10k. You get something and decide a year later it is awful and you are still paying for it!

• Olychick
    8 years ago

There was a thread not too long ago that had opinions about sleep # beds. I posted that I slept on one in a luxury hotel one time (and was excited to try it) and found it about the most uncomfortable mattress I'd ever slept on. Others posted that they have them in their homes and love them. I am spoiled by having slept on an all natural latex foam mattress for nigh onto 40 years now and am never as comfy as I am when sleeping on it. Not hot, not cold, but just right! No lumps, no low spots, no shifting of materials. Firm to sleep on but soft on your body.

• tinker1121
    Original Author
    8 years ago

For what it's worth, I still love my Sealy Hybrid Encourage mattress after 6 months. It is so nice and feels he same all the way across. It is part foam and part innerspring, the best of both worlds. If it wears out I hope I can get the same one as it took weeks and the return of two previous (Casper and an awful Beautyrest Worldclass pillow top) to find something I can sleep all night on. No more back ache from a too soft mattress and just right.

Linelle, how did you make out with your Vantage? Still have it?

• dahoov2
    8 years ago

I need a firm mattress that won't get depressions in it for a good 10 years... I know that regular mattresses have springs. There's so many kinds... the spring ones the more the better? Then there's wrapped springs, horsehair beds, feather beds, memory foam, pillow topped mattresses, air coils... sooooooo many! I am so confused by every product and service these days. I remember back in the 70s (and older obviously) where you had a choice of Bell telephone and that was it! No cable packages to choose from and only three TV channels basically! It was so much better then. You didn't have to spend 20% of your life discussing and researching what to buy!

I don't know what to do about a bed. I gotta get that, pick a headboard and a washer/dryer in the next two months and I'm just exhausted. Then I'll need the sheets which is another story. No mattress is the same depth and no sheet is made right and I want a very tight fitting sheet that won't come off at the corners. I detest wrinkles when sleeping; I am bothered by everything! LOL

I'm going out this weekend to measure washers and dryers and I'll be trying on mattresses in the places I go that have both... I'm going to need a LOT of luck.

• Bunny
    8 years ago

Wow, this is quite the thread. I stuck with my Vantage firm. It's funny, every time I get into bed I think, this is a firm mattress. But it's not firm-hard, it's firm-nice. I sleep great, whether on back or stomach. After years of sleeping on my side with another person in the bed, I don't sleep on my side anymore at all, although when I'm asleep I can't really say for sure.

I considered swapping the firm for a plush, but wasn't eager to go through delivery and off-gassing hell again. Nor was I willing to give up a really nice mattress for one that might be better, but maybe not. Before I knew it, the generous 120-day return window had passed and I was living (and sleeping) very nicely with my firm. It's like, I'm not a Firm Girl! But yet I'm having a very satisfying relationship with a Firm.

I really like this mattress, maybe love is on the horizon. I still notice the 2 inches extra height every morning when I disembark.

• gr8daygw
    8 years ago

I wrote a review of the Sleep number in this thread, it's up toward the middle. Cliff Notes Version, not worth the money, cheap materials, comes to your house shipped from warehouse in boxes, you have to put it together or pay them $200 to do it for you then if you don't like it you have to box it back up and send it back. No thank you…never again. It's in our guest room now.

• dahoov2
    8 years ago

Thanks for that. I'll just buy a cheaper mattress this time I think. This way, if I don't like it, I can suffer for a few short years and ditch it for a new one. Better than stuck with one 10-20 years!

• Olychick
    8 years ago

spam reported

• queenofallthings381
    8 years ago

Anybody hear of MLILY mattress?

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022