Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kswl2

Anyone Have Daltile's Union Square tile in Your Home?

kswl2
10 years ago

We are still in the planning stages of our basement remodel. I want a brick floor throughout, including the bathroom, and I want underfloor heating. Unfortunately, the only brick I really like is 3/4" pavers is and it is a certainty that they will NOT heat to the same extent that a wood or 3/8" tile floor would. I have been told that there is a noticeable difference in the heat when a 1/2" tile is used instead of 3/8", and the heating product is not recommended for 3/4" tile. However, the brick is handmade and very porous (Old Carolina Brick Company thin pavers) and I would think that should make the heat travel more easily. But since it is not a uniform product there will be some heat loss to any internal air pockets, etc. The mfg doesn't know of anyone who's tried to use it on the floor and heat it. The brick is extremely uneven and very rough and it will be impossible to go barefoot on it, which poses a problem in the bathroom. We'll have area rugs in the two rooms, which will also decrease the warmth effect from the underfloor heating--- or will it?

The area for this project is only about 700 sq ft and the cost is estimated at just over $20.000 for the floor. I dont mind that IF the result is EXACTLY what I want. I am hard pressed to imagine how I would feel if we installed it and the heat was insufficient. I want real brick, but I really really want the heated floor. So, someone gave me a link to Daltile's Union Square tile. The surface is very bumpy but it is a matte finish, with a lot of color variation within each tile. (Our ID has ordered a box of each color I like so we can play with it.) The installation will be considerably less expensive and we know the heating will work. Surprisingly, the products are not that far apart in price, BUT the freight charges for the brick add about $1000 more so the tile comes out about 20% less.

The tile comes in two sizes--- 4x8, which looks like a tile faking brick because it's too big--- and 2 x 7, which looks like a narrow brick face.

Does anyone have this in their home and if so, will you share pictures? I want that rustic brick look, but not at the expense of making the rooms so cold and uncomfortable that no one uses them :-(

Here is a link that might be useful: Daltile union square

Comments (10)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

Very attractive tile.

Question - are you certain you need radiant heat. I spec'd it in all the bathrooms here as well as the breakfast room and kitchen. I hate to admit it, but I have never turned it on. I don't even really recall how.

• kswl2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, good question mtn. We have three finished rooms in the basement, about 1100 sq feet total. We're not touching DH's office. He is happy with carpet. The other two rooms will be opened up to each other and will all have the same flooring, including adjacent bathroom. The big back room (25 x 27) is under the front of the house; behind the far wall is an 18" poured concrete foundation and earth beyond that. The room is perfectly ok year round--- cool in summer with a fan to stir the air--- and warm in winter with the gas fireplace. So I don't think we need it there. The front room (bottom of the stairs, has exterior wall w/ door to downstairs patio) gets cold. It already has a vent from the main HVAC but it's on the ceiling which is 9 ft In that room. I hate forced air heating and cooling anyway. We put in two ceramic wall heaters in That room that warm by convection current. They do a great job but they are now sort of invisible bc of furniture placement. Once we strip the room of everything except the planned daybed/sofas, they will be very noticeable. We've spent some time in Utah in winter and like the combination of underfloor heat and gas fireplaces, but all those floors were wood.

So, as usual a long answer to a short question :-) We def need something in the front room at least and really need it in the bathroom. But the floor is SO rough... I don't know what to do. I don't want to insist on authenticity at the expense of comfort or even usability. (Is that a word?). The brick is gorgeous, see link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Old Carolina Brick

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

I'd use what you really love in the big room, carpet the cold room , and tile the bath. ( the latter two w radiant heat )

• kswl2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The design hinges on a single flooring throughout the entire area. Both rooms will end up as one large, L-shaped room. Brick (or something similar) is especially important in the front (colder) room, as that exterior wall is getting lap siding and an exterior light fixture, and the shutters are being painted black and will be held back with shutter dogs. The idea is to make that front room an extension of the patio--- not to be sure whether it is interior or exterior.

I'll post some inspiration pix when I am at an actual computer.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

Ohhh. I think your choice has been made for you. You have to go with the pavers. Are there grout choices that will help make it look "brickier" ?

• Janice742
    10 years ago

We finished off our basement and used Travertine on the floor. It has a rustic, old world look. We also put zoned radiant heat in. One thermostat in the bathroom, one in the bar area and one in another "spill out" room that we use when we entertain there.

The floor heat is amazing and is necessary in the winter months. (we have "NuHeat")

Here is a photo -- sorry it's of the bathroom... but it's the only one I have on my photo bucket.

You can see the travertine on the wall as well - and it really does have a rustic look to it. It's also extremely smooth underfoot and very comfy to walk on.

• kswl2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Janice I am glad to hear you use your radiant floors. I think basements are a good place for that type of heating! Love your travertine, we have it upstairs I the DR and it is very easy care. I am looking for a more rustic look than even that.

Mtn, the real brick pavers are very brickey. The grout has to be tuck pointed or piped in the joints from a pastry bag... the install is labor intensive. The grout can be floated with the Daltile product. When I get the boxes of it I will know if I am going to be able to use the tile or just sacrifice everybody's feet to the design and forget the underfloor heating, I guess.

• kswl2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Janice I am glad to hear you use your radiant floors. I think basements are a good place for that type of heating! Love your travertine, we have it upstairs I the DR and it is very easy care. I am looking for a more rustic look than even that.

Mtn, the real brick pavers are very brickey. The grout has to be tuck pointed or piped in the joints from a pastry bag... the install is labor intensive. The grout can be floated with the Daltile product., so we can make the joints any size. What would look more brickrey--- very thick grout? Lots of people use floor Brick with little or no grout, the bricks are very close. I'm looking for a different look than that. When I get the boxes of it I will know if I am going to be able to use the tile or just sacrifice everybody's feet to the design and forget the underfloor heating, I guess.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

I grew up with radiant heat in the kitchen, family room, laundry, and play room. I LOVED it. If we ever remodel this place, I will most definitely have it installed. Ours at my parents was not one that had an on/off switch. It was tied in with the heating in those rooms-if the heat was on, the floors were warm. It was lovely. I hope you get a floor you love without sacrificing the radiant heat!

• robingg
    8 years ago

Did you ever get an answer on if anybody had used the Union Square by Dal in their home? I'm considering as well. Even considering using on a back patio

Sponsored
Kwon Contracting
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Loudoun County, VA