Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Getting Interested in Interiors Again...and a Question

Posted by wishfulthinking (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 10, 12 at 7:00

Good morning all! I used to be an obsessive lurker here and even posted a few times. Always loved reading others posts and looking at all the lovely pictures. Then we started moving with my hubby's job and we moved so often and we were renting and I just lost heart & interest. So, we've been in this location for almost a year & I realize I really need to try & make it look like a home. So, the first major thing I need to do is the living room. I have two upholstered club type chairs that need to be recovered. They're currently done in a red & cream toile and they're worn & dirty. My couch is still fine, though a trifle too soft, but it's huge with huge arms and I really would like a smaller one with English arms and a tight back. And I'd like an area rug for this room. So, I'm wondering should I select a fabric for my chairs first, and find a couch & rug to coordinate with that? Or, should I get a rug and pull colors & fabrics based on that? Looking forward to hearing your advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Getting Interested in Interiors Again...and a Question

Perhaps the easiest place to start is with an inspiration piece....it can be a pick from houzz.com or a magazine....a piece of art...a plate....an outfit....almost anything. Then you can draw your colors from there.

I usually start with the fabric for the window treatments and then go from there. Usually, for longer life, you'll want solids or small prints that are almost neutrals for your furniture. Then you can add pillows to dress them up in the the room's colors. This way, if you redecorate, the expensive pieces will still work.

o

Perhaps the easiest place to start is with an inspiration piece....it can be a pick from houzz.com or a magazine....a piece of art...a plate....an outfit....almost anything. Then you can draw your colors from there.

I usually start with the fabric for the window treatments and then go from there. Usually, for longer life, you'll want solids or small prints that are almost neutrals for your furniture. Then you can add pillows to dress them up in the the room's colors. This way, if you redecorate, the expensive pieces will still work.

o

Oh, thank you Annie! I wasn't familiar with houzz.com. Just signed up over there & I can tell I'll be spending a lot of time today with the computer on my lap perusing those pics!

o

If you're renting you might not be doing window coverings, so I think I would find a sofa you love and find a rug to go with it, then select your upholstery fabric to coordinate. Since you're more likely to have a print of some kind on the chairs, there are infinite choices. Same with a rug, but they are more difficult to shop for - depending on where you live. Online can get expensive if you want to try different ones, or have to return them.

Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here