Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Craftsman, "Arts and Crafts" style Help dressing a bay window

Posted by Bobbi_474 (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 24, 12 at 6:32

Recently remodeled a house and haven't moved in yet. Put in a bay window in the living room with white grilles. It's a small room 12 x 17. I'm trying to keep in the "arts and crafts" theme with craftsman details, Frank Lloyd Wright stencils, etc. My question: should I use curtains or blinds? Light, dark, floral, lace, tapestry curtains? Or would blinds look better? Does anyone have any other ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Craftsman, "Arts and Crafts" style Help dressing a bay window

FL Wright wouldn't have had window coverings. But if you must, I'd go with flat linen panels in the lower half of each window. Nothing fancy. Neutral color.

o

Photos would help us get an idea of the space and the look.

o

I would use some sort of simple shade, either roll-down or Roman, mounted inside each window as to leave the woodwork exposed.

o

"floral, lace, tapestry curtains? "

No, no, and no.

Simple linen, inside mount, as a flat panel would be great.

o

What do you need the window treatments to do? Are they just for pretty, or do you need daytime or night time privacy? Light control for TV watching? Insulation against hot or cold weather?

My brother has a similar house. It is very, very close to the street. So, for privacy and light control and a bit of insulation in winter, he has inside mounted, room-darkening honeycomb top-down, bottom-up shades that pretty much disappear when they are open all the way. Then over those, he has simple, solid-color cotton panels on a black metal rod.

o

I generally prefer minimal or no window coverings (except in the bedroom and my woman cave), but I live close to a street and neighbors, so I have flat panels on the lower half of my double living room windows. I love them! This is my second set. Someone might come up with a more elegant solution, but I wanted to be able to open mine on sunny days so I have them hanging from rings sewn into each upper corner, and when I open them I let them hang in folds on the outside (since there are 2 windows in each unit there is an outside.) I made mine, and this set I smartened up and lined them (just attaching the lining at the top.) The sun really fades!
Kathy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here