Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
siliconvalley_gw

Hanging iron wall decor on the outside (composite sidings)

siliconvalley
11 years ago

Hello!

I've been wanting to hang an iron wall decor on the outside wall of my house. The exterior is made up of composite sidings. I don't feel comfortable drilling holes for screws, hooks or nails because I am afraid it might either split the wood or introduce leaks. Should I be concerned, or is it not really a big deal to drill a couple of small holes on the sidings? Perhaps there is a better way to handle it altogether. Please advise.

FYI, here are the photos of the area where I want to hang the wall decor:

Many thanks for your help!

Comments (7)

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    11 years ago

Is that thing going to rust and drip all down your siding?

• likewhatyoudo
    11 years ago

I hung a star on our siding in February and it is still working just fine.

I used a interior plastic picture hanger with little nails on it. No rust or problem holding on to the siding but not through it. The star is in a windy, wet location.

A link to the hanger I used:

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/300/0e/0ef26bfb-2ba9-40cf-a685-4f11ecf45e64_300.jpg

• tuesday_2008
    11 years ago

Just make sure it matches your siding - that way, if you want to take the piece down, you can leave the hanger for future use.

My house is brick and I have permanent brick screws on my window ledges for hanging my Christmas wreaths. I also have permanent screws on my patio for hanging a summer wrought iron hanger that holds herb pots that I put ivy in. At Christmas, I use the same hardware to hang something for Christmas.

• annzgw
    11 years ago

A couple of small nails shouldn't hurt anything and if you decide to use screws always pre-drill so wood doesn't split. Place the hanger either near the top or the middle of the plank and avoid the bottom edge. You're more likely to split the wood if you hang it near the bottom edge.

You have an overhang so I doubt much rain actually hits that wall (unless you have lots of wind). Leaks won't be a problem and if you ever remove the nail or screw then just fill the small hole with some silicone.

• Olychick
    11 years ago

Don't know where you live, but in some climates you can use Command Hooks outdoors. Here's what their website says:

Q: Can I use Command⢠Products outside in cold climates?
    A: You can, but the adhesive should be applied to a clean, smooth, dry surface when the temperature is above 50F (10C). If the temperature is below 50F, you can heat the surface with a hair dryer before application.

Q: Can I use Command⢠Products outside in hot climates?
    A: Extreme heat conditions and sunlight may cause the adhesive to eventually deteriorate, causing product failure. The adhesive could soften and lose adhesion above 105F (40C).

You can use 2 hooks if your piece is heavy. Some of their products are rated for wet locations, too, which I'd probably use outside.

I'm starting to sound like I own their stock, but I don't :)

• jane__ny
    11 years ago

Our past house had vinyl siding and I hung things all over the place. I had pot hangers, hooks for x-mas decorations, racks for tools (on the hidden side), etc.

Never had a problem and there was wood siding underneath. We drilled through the siding into the wood. No leaks or cracks for 20 yrs.

Jane

• siliconvalley
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all for responding, I really appreciate it!

cearbhaill - is it going to rust and drip? I don't know, hope not. I'll watch out for that, thanks for the tip.

olychick - I am in San Jose, CA. No extreme weather to worry about. Thanks.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths