Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluestarrgallery

Let's Share Xmas Trees, Trimming Tips, & Unique Ornaments

bluestarrgallery
16 years ago

Here's my Christmas tree so far. My living room has brown sofa and chairs with aqua accessories, so I went with those colors for my tree this year, plus added some gold bulbs. The skirt is a yard of white silky fleece placed around the base. There was only a yard left on the bolt, I might get another yard for a larger skirt. I still have some larger bronze bulbs to put up and will be moving some of the bulbs around for better spacing. Still looking for a topper - maybe a shimmery bronze angel if I can find one. I might pull the curtains closed for a better back drop. So far the cats haven't even gotten near it. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Care to share your Christmas tree and any tips or ideas for trimming trees? Do you have any unique or special ornaments?

{{gwi:1855091}}

Comments (135)

• kabergs
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

ttodd, we went to a Christmas party last Friday. It was help in a museum that does an annual Christmas tree display. THe trees are trimmed by local businesses, designers, etc then auctioned for charity just before Christmas. I picked up a cool ribbon trick (after I did mine of course) but most of the trees with ribbon had the pinched together or tied onto branches every so often. The pinched/tied parts were set back into the tree so you really had to look to see they were pinched/tied. It made a big difference in the way it looked.

• chicoryflower
    16 years ago

I'm still going with the decorating. Hopefully I'll have it all just the way I want it before New Years. : )

Here's the latest living room holiday decor.

We finally have all the lights, half of the ornaments and most of the candy canes on the big tree, but we need a new tree topper - I hope we find something for this year. : O

Here's the side board with flash.

• patti_bee
    16 years ago

Oh my. I wish I had a photo of the tree my husband and his brother did each year. The tree was a silver tip, trimmed to be very open. Then the work began with lights first. Cotton fleece (the kind that was used as a cover for the tree stand) was cut into 1 inch wide strips, then the strips were peeled into 3 separate layers. Each branch was covered in the strips which were cut to fit. Tinsel, the real heavy kind, was placed every half inch and trimmed so that it didn't touch the branch below it. When finished, it was magnificent and shimmered like a tree in an ice storm. It took at least 40 hrs to do it. I know DH misses it since he and his brother did it in memory of their father who did it every year. The cotton isn't available and the tradition ended. Truthfully, though, the process drove me crazy because when things got hectic during the holiday season, I liked to take a cup of tea, put on the carols and spend a few minutes communing with the tree. With this tree, it merely reminded me of how much remained to be done!

• limogique
    16 years ago

• limogique
    16 years ago
  • momto4boys
    16 years ago

• bluestarrgallery
    Original Author
    16 years ago

chicoryflower, what a clever idea for a candle holder. I just love the print above your mantle, what is he name of the artist again - I just love his work.

tropical diva, love your tree and the rug under it. And the cactus tree is a hoot ! Yee Ha !

limogique, those bulbs on the candle stick holders look great and I love all your sparklies.

thriftshop romantic, love your butterfly and the purple ornaments.

sweets 98, I love your snowflakes, will you put starch on them to stiffen them up a bit? My grandmother used to crochet doilies and she used to starch them real well and they stayed firm for a long time.

So many more wonderful trees - I love going back and looking at all of great decorating ideas. Thanks to all.

• black-thumb
    16 years ago

Here is my dollar store tree. I got all the ornaments there. You can find lovely ornaments for little money. :)

My absolute favorite ornament.

• threedgrad
    16 years ago

wow, so many lovely trees.

black-thumb - where did you get that fabulous ornament?

Great tree!! You did a super job!

• black-thumb
    16 years ago

I got them all from the dollar store. The reindeer too!

• sweets98
    16 years ago

Black-thumb,
    Yes, they do have awesome ornaments at the dollar stores!

I often look around the dollar store for cheapy ornaments that I can then tweak a bit to work for me. If you just use a bit of imagination you can get the perfect ornaments for your tree. Like if you like the shape but not the color, paint them. You can easily spray paint ornaments to get the color or sheen you want. If you're even more handy with a paint brush, you can repaint the smaller decorative ornaments. I have found some really cute ones that I just didn't like the bad 'Made in China' import paint job, so I repainted over them. Or I can take a really fancy shiney piece and make it work with my country style. Like I bought a bunch of bells from Dollar Tree in shiney silver, painted them brown and sprinkled cinnamon on them and voila', I have rusty bells!

Little things like changing the hangers or adding bows can really change the look of ornaments!

This tiny tree is still a little work in progress. I need to come up with one more idea for the ornaments. These are the bells I rusted. They came in a pack of 10, (I think, I didn't count and I'm trying to remember how many I have off the top of my head) at Dollar Tree. Mine were silver but they had gold, too. I painted them brown, sprinkled with cinnamon while they were still wet and later sprayed with clear sealer to protect them. They came with shiney blue pieces of string for hangers and I used jute twine instead.

This is a tree topper from the same gold/silver line at Dollar Tree. I used the same process to paint this as the bells and took a somewhat fancy looking topper and made it country!
    center>

I know my style isn't for everyone, I was just showing examples of the difference some paint can make!

• donnar57
    16 years ago

We're not quite done yet, but we did get the tree up and finally photographed. Check out page 10 of the family room album (linked below) and page 7 of the kitchen album.

http://donnabrassea.tripod.com/kitchen/

gets you to the kitchen album.

Our tree is mostly full of ornaments that my MIL or someone else has made. A long time ago, a craft goods company called Lee Wards (remember them anyone?) had a "Christmas Ornament of the Month" club, which my MIL belonged to. Every year, we would get an ornament or two from that. She made them for others in the family as well, and purchased some of the ornament kits that the company produced outside of the monthly Club. They're just beautiful, and we treasure them. Occasionally Michael's or similar will have the ornament kits, and we'll get her one, but she says that Lee Wards had the best ones.

Other things I've posted are made by my father, who has taken up woodworking in his retirement. He's created a Santa sleigh for each daughter. Mom sews, so they bought the little cloth doll bodies for Santa and Mrs. Santa, and Mom has made them clothes. When the girls move out (in the not-so-far-away future), they'll have something to take with them to start their own Christmas collection. Dad has also made a Christmas table centerpiece which I feature every year, as well as a Silent Night creche music box (no pics yet of that one).

DD#1 gets home from college on Saturday. Hopefully on Sunday she'll finish my decorating for me - she's the BEST with the garland and ribbons on the stair railings and fireplace mantle. This may be the last year we'll have her at home to do it....she's a senior in college.

DonnaR/CA

Here is a link that might be useful: Donna's Family and Living Room Projects

• yborgal
    16 years ago

This is the first time we've decorated the DR chandelier but I like looking up and seeing the cherubs.
    {{!gwi}}
    I discovered these flickering candles this year and gave them a try. They look quite realistic at night.

Here's a closeup of the candle and in the background is one of the doggy ornaments in memory of our furbabies that are no longer here with us.
    {{!gwi}}

Looking at the beautiful trees on this thread is giving me some ideas for next year.

• tinker1121
    16 years ago
  • chicoryflower
    16 years ago

Mona, I have not seen those lights before and I do think I'm in love with them. Where did you find them? I love those flickery bulbs!

• yborgal
    16 years ago

Chicory, I got them at Silk Gardens here in town. They have 7 candles on a strand and it took 4 strands for our tree.
    I also used them on our mantle and on a foyer table where candles would have been dangerous.
    Friends who have never seen these before are constantly amazed at how real the candles look at night.

Ooops! I see the blue tape needs to be fixed again. Ignore it for now, please.

{{!gwi}}

• kats
    16 years ago

We've recently moved into our home so I don't have any window treatments up yet but I do have my tree decorated! I did a red and white tree with a bird theme of cardinals, finches and peacocks.
    The banister has nutcrackers on each level. My son has received one each year since he was small so they're very special to us. He's moved out of the house now but graciously let me "steal" them one more year! LOL

Nutcrackers

• christina923
    16 years ago

kats...beautiful! love the nutcrackers!!

{{gwi:1855163}}

{{gwi:1855164}}

{{gwi:1855165}}

{{gwi:1855166}}

• cliff_and_joann
    16 years ago

Gorgeous trees and decorations everyone.
    Went with a smaller tree this year.

Joann

table decoration

• slahgirl
    16 years ago

Everyone has such beautiful trees! What a treat!
    Springville-I love the white. It of course reminds me of my grandma's growing up, and now you have inspired me to look for one after in the Christmas sales and do it for my girls next year with hot pink and lime green! Thanks!
    Kats-
    Are those mariachis on the stairs I see? What is the story and where did you find them? I must have a set!!

• kats
    16 years ago

Christina923
    Thank you for the compliment! Like I mentioned the nutcrackers are very special. Our son received his first one from a neighbor when he was only seven. He's gotten one each year from then on. On the first step are three small nutcrackers. They were from the first three years.
    This is such a great tradition I started the same thing with my g-kids. Our grandaughter gets a snowglobe and our grandson gets a snowman every year.

Slahgirl,
    YES! they are mariachis. I gave them to him back in 2004 (it's on the bottom of the nutcrackers). I'm afraid I don't remember where I got them though I want to say either Macys or Tuesday Morning. I looked on the bottom to see if I could find where they might have come from and it says "The Nutcracker Village". Hope this little bit helps, sorry, I wish I could help further.

• mustangs81
    16 years ago

I just finished mine today, but I'm almost embarrassed to included it this forest of beautiful and creative works of art. I went with a smaller tree this year as I couldn't find a tall slim tree that I liked.

{{gwi:1458961}}

• upa_lazy_river
    16 years ago

Here's my great room tree looking from the Dining Room:
    [IMG]http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa37/steinr_2007/100_0307.jpg[/IMG]

Another view:
    [IMG]http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa37/steinr_2007/100_0302.jpg[/IMG]

Kitchen tree (Beaded Fruit):
    [IMG]http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa37/steinr_2007/100_0315.jpg[/IMG]

Library tree (baseball theme):
    [IMG]http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa37/steinr_2007/100_0316.jpg[/IMG]

• terezosa / terriks
    16 years ago

Upa - you used the wrong code to post the pictures. You need to copy the HTML code. Here are your pics:

Here's my great room tree looking from the Dining Room:
    {{gwi:1855169}}

Another view:
    {{gwi:1855170}}

Kitchen tree (Beaded Fruit):
    {{gwi:1855172}}

Library tree (baseball theme):
    {{gwi:1855174}}

• brutuses
    16 years ago

christina 93, I love your icicles. Where did you buy those? Forgive me, I haven't bought Christmas decorations in many years so am not familiar with a lot of the things out there.

• borngrace
    16 years ago

Here are some pics from last year. I haven't gotten all the way in gear yet this year. Some pictures are at the end of our Christmas party -- I always forget to take a picture at the beginning when everything is beautiful. We went to 2 trees in our old house (ca 1740) because with ceilings at 6'7" I ran out of room. So the children put all their treasures on their tree, plus what they make, plus all the pics with Santa over the years etc.

big tree

children's tree

dining room after party

stockings

staircase

• chicoryflower
    16 years ago

Thanks, Mona. I will tear every store in the area apart looking for those... or maybe look on the specialty Christmas light store website. : )

Terriks, I love your kitchen tree!

I see an ugly beast rearing it's terrible head in my belly! I need multiple trees!!!!

• texanjana
    16 years ago

Such beauty and inspiration here!

I am still working on it, but I have made some progress.
    Main tree, ornaments dating back to my grandparents' marriages in the 1920's. The tree is a tapestry of my life and travels. In the closeup, the Santa on the far left was on my parent's first tree in 1955. The spangly one is from Greece, Santa on whale is from Hawaii, Eskimo in canoe is from Alaska.
    {{gwi:1855180}}
    {{gwi:1855181}}

German Feather Tree
    {{gwi:1855182}}

Kids have Given Me a Nutcracker/Snowman Every Year!
    {{gwi:1855183}}
    {{gwi:1855184}}

{{gwi:1855185}}
    {{gwi:1855186}}

• oceanna
    16 years ago

Black-thumb, your favorite reindeer ornament is absolute perfection. Any idea where I could get one like it? Is it glass? I just love it.

• yborgal
    16 years ago

Chicory, would you want me to see if they still have some? I could mail them to you.

• User
    16 years ago

Not done yet - tweaking still in progress...sigh!

Jim

The kennel

• tammynewb
    16 years ago
  • tropical_diva
    16 years ago

Texanjana - we have the same snowman collection! =)

{{gwi:1855194}}

• bluestarrgallery
    Original Author
    16 years ago

wow, wow, wow - more spectacular and creative decorations!

kats, your xmas decorations are beautiful and your home is lovely, do mind my asking what type of flooring you have - I just love those wide planks and what a beautiful room with all those windows - looks like you have a view of mountains.

tammynewb, what a spectacular xmas village.

chijim, love the kennel and the beaded fruit tree is wonderful.

terriks, I love your color coordinated rooms.

blackthumb, what a beautiful tree - I will have to go by the dollar store - they are just so busy all the time and the lines are so long. I too love the reindeer - looks so wintery.

Chicoryflower, I am thinking along the same lines as you - an ugly beast - I haven't decorated my fireplace yet - but have gotten inspiration from all the lovely ones posted here.

borngrace, what lovely rooms, the wreaths in front of your windows are a great idea. If you don't mind my asking, what are the birds and other figurenes made of on your mantle - are they ceramic, iron, or? I just love the little birds.

oh darn, I will have to refresh to see the rest and those with links, I am on dialup and it is taking me forever to see all the new posts - but boy is it worth it. Everyone's decor is just so festive and unique.

• southernheart
    16 years ago

Ttodd, thank you for your kind comment...I just saw it this morning. :)

Here's a link to my album with more Christmas photos if you'd like to see...

There are so many beautiful displays, and homes, on this thread! It's been so much fun to see!

Here is a link that might be useful: Christmas at our home

• kats
    16 years ago

springvillegardens,

Thank you for such kind compliments. Yes, we're in a canyon with mountains in the front and back of our home.
    Our floor is 8" wide white oak with tung oil (no stain). It is the EASIEST floor I've ever owned. We have a doxy and a golden retriever and the floor just doesn't show scratches. There are hundreds of knots and dark lines in it to give it all the character I could ever hope for.

• upa_lazy_river
    16 years ago

thanks, Terriks for fixing my mistake and getting my pictures posted for me.

And thanks for the compliments, all.

• igloochic
    16 years ago

The baby and I are going to be spending the holidays in the hospital so I don't get to do a tree this year, but here's last year's tree (mid construction)

{{gwi:1707764}}

I have collected Radko's since ummm well that would give away my age...A few a year...and I have some 300 plus now so umm a few years heh heh

I was excited about doing two trees in the house this year and went out and purchased all new ornaments to go with my feather collection (since I haven't done anything with those yet heh heh) but I guess that will have to wait for next yea. I had planned on doing a tree with all autum tones and then keeping the Radko tree in the library. I guess I can do it next year...but it does bug me to know I have all those ornaments just waiting to be hung up (DH wouldn't do it...I tried but he said he won't even consider dealing with a tree while we're gone...the poop).

{{gwi:1855195}}

Next year I'm going overboard! Our last few holidays haven't been great since the baby's been sick, so next year whenall is well we hope...we're going to deck the halls, floors, wall, and ceilings!!! I want my house to look like it's puking Christmas from every orifice :oP (a favorite description DH has used from previous holidays with me)

• oceanna
    16 years ago

Oops! I missed the part about the ornaments coming from the dollar store. Wow. I'll have to hit my local dollar store and snoop around! I do get a lot of doggy toys there.

Gorgeous decorations and trees, everyone!

• jea2007
    16 years ago

I have a question about your carollers, the little girls in red coats.

My Mom has a Nativity in the same group/manufacturer, do you know who that is? All the marks on hers are wore off and I would be so cool to find some other pieces from the same group for her. She has had it since I was little, she said she bought it in the 60's when she moved out on her own, but I don't know if she bought it new, am assuming so.

Thanks for any information you can share.

J

• kats
    16 years ago

Igloochic,

I've lurked in the decorating forum for a bit but do not know your situation with your baby. I just wanted to chime in and say I hope that what ever is happening will work out exactly as you hope.
    Merry Christmas everyone.

• bonniee818
    16 years ago

Hi everyone.........I have 3 trees in my album now up but can't post the pics here. I got the inspiration for the snow tree in my LR from someone on this forum. I also have the poinsetta tree in the FR & DH has a little Charlie Brown tree in his dormer area of the office/guestroom. link below if you wanna have a peek. Bonnie
    Everyone has done a beautiful job with their decorating for Christmas - loved seeing all the inspiration this year!

Here is a link that might be useful: Christmas album

• pahance
    16 years ago

So many beautiful trees!! Well, here is ours BEFORE it fell and broke several of the hand-blown ornaments I've been collecting over the years, including my Radko Santa face, which was the family's favorite :-(

Here's the Santa face, which was quite a large ornament (about 5" tall and 1" deep):

Here is our tree-top angel, which really should go on a smaller tree, but oh well. She is made in Germany and has a wax face:

And a few more ornaments:

I think next year, we'll be getting a fake tree.

• des_arc_ya_ya
    16 years ago

Was unable to get a good full length shot of our "Family Tree", but wanted to post a closeup. Took a $5.00 pitiful looking white/turned beige tree from the flea market. It was so ugly that I KNEW it needed a new home and TLC! LOL

Used white lights, all gold ornaments and garland and used small family photographs, all done in sepia.

Guess it is a true "Family Tree"! LOL

• borngrace
    16 years ago

Thanks for the nice comments.

The figurines on the mantel are a collected assortment.

The birds (yes, they are metal) and the gargoyles (which are supposed to be hung) are antiques that were always in my in laws home which I admired and as they are in the downsizing mode have found their way into our home.

The Father Frost (wooden) is from St. Petersburg Russia where our 2 youngest children are from -- it makes me happy. I didn't buy one when we were there the first time, but made sure to the 2nd.

I'm trying to think what else is in the picture . . . oh the ark is an advent calendar (I think from Gardener's Eden???) - has to be up on mantle because it's person is only 2 years old and it is breakable :-)

• esm259
    16 years ago

Our tree mostly has ornaments the kids have made,
    with a few keepsakes mixed in.

I repainted the dining room since last Christmas
    and was worried about the green, but I like how
    it looks with my decorations this year.
    We're hanging the stockings here this year also.

• susieq07
    16 years ago

Here's a link to all my decorations..pics. Click upper right corner for larger pictures, maximize.

Here is a link that might be useful: Picasa Web Albums

• chicoryflower
    16 years ago

Mona, thank you so much for that offer. That is unbelievably kind - as if we (you) don't have enough to do at Christmas already!

I did manage to find some of those lights online (Christmas Lights, etc.), and I'll order them after my husband finishes freaking out about how much we've already spent! : D

They don't have those cool bulbs, but they have those at the grocery store, and they'll likely be 1/2 off the day after Christmas - I can't see a mad rush on flame bulbs happening.

They are beautiful.

• terezosa / terriks
    16 years ago

We finally got our tree up over the weekend. It's a "family" tree with all of the ornaments that we have collected and the kids have made over the years:

I like the elegant ballerina next to the goofy basketball ornament:

But my personal favorite is this angel that my youngest (who is 19 now) made in kindergarten:

• zipdee
    16 years ago

Beautiful trees and holiday decor, everyone. :)I've enjoyed looking through all of the pictures!

Here's our downstairs tree.

{{gwi:1855212}}

And our Christmas Frogs :D

{{gwi:1855213}}