Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dahoov2

Disagreement with general contractor over design

dahoov2
9 years ago

So I'm doing an addition in my home. After meeting with the contractor and getting the quote and telling him my design ideas more definitively today I'm a little agitated. He's a general contractor and he doesn't have a "design" expert working with him or anything. I have MY plan in MY head and I know what materials I want, what colors and the kind of vanities etc. Today he INSISTS I have cultured marble molded vanity tops. I do not LIKE those and I want real marble... and I know the upkeep. He also insisted I cannot have french doors leading out of my home from the laundry room because "people don't put French doors in laundry rooms". I want these doors because I'm losing a lot of light inwards by extending the house out; now the old laundry area will be a mud room.... and I want light coming into the den.... and I want it to match my other set of french doors. He's telling me expect to pay thousands... a couple for it. Hell no; I want Lowe's doors LOL. I want a matching set. He said it's too cheap. I just don't care about that because I want it to match and don't think they look cheap. I get tons of compliments on the ones I already have (they have blinds inside and I love them). Anyway, how to handle this? I'm getting up. I'm doing a very upscale bathroom and going less expensive in the laundry room. It's what I want to do, it's my house, I'm paying for it and I just don't like the attitude and him telling me what he did in his house. I don't really care to be honest. I kind of feel like if I want orange and pink polka dots on every surface, his job is to say whatever you want.... but yet I see articles online about "how to get your clients to do what you want". What's everyone's experience with this? If I have to sign the contract saying he's not responsible for design choices and only structure, I will. Or should I just not hire this one and take the next bid?

Comments (26)

• zen4d
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Sounds ominous.

• sameboat
    9 years ago

Get someone else. You won't be happy working with him. It's one thing for him to offer suggestions, but it's not his place to insist you choose something else unless it's something structural and not to code. I'd pass on this contractor. You need someone who shares your vision. It would also be helpful to have something on paper ( or a vision board) and not just in your mind so you both know the look, quality and feel of what you are going for.

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

Not sure your question/hesitation. Fire his a$$ and get your project done!!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Why would you hire someone you're fed up with before even hiring him???

Just tell him you appreciate his time but that you don't think you're on the same page. And do it over the phone so he can't stand there and talk you into keeping him.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Definitely not your guy.

I find the guys we like to work with are honest enough to tell us we're crazy for wanting to put the 3 car garage on the roof, but if we really want it, they can do it. The best relationship is a collaboration...an honest assessment of the options, pros and cons, professional opinions about the choices being made, honest assessment of the costs around the various choices with the ultimate decision resting in the hands of the homeowner as s/he is the one footing the bill.

In our experience, the guys who come and look at the job and say, yup I can do it, ask a couple of intelligent questions and make a couple of thoughtful comments are the best. I always look for the guy who takes pride in his work, who does it right because it bears his name. I respect a guy who says, "Lady, you may want it, but I won't build it because it's not right and I don't want that associated with my name."

The guys who come in with the bragging about past accomplishments the "we can do this for you, and we can do that for you" and lots of mouth and hand waving and lots of reassurances tend to be covering their incompetence with braggadocio. Those guys never get work from me.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

A 3-car garage on a roof is absolutely do-able. Just get a car elevator…like a previous governor of my state and presidential contender.

• gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    9 years ago

If he is balking AFTER the quote, that means he already knows what profit he is making from the cultured marble tops vs granite, and doors he buys wholesale vs yours from Lowes. I would find someone else and be up front before the next quote.

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

This sounds like a relationship that is not going to work. It seems he has no expertise in real marble yet wants you to spend thousands on doors when the ones you want are perfectly fine. We have the same Lowes doors and are very happy with them.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

This is a sign of things to come and you better read the signs now and act. There are plenty of good contractors out there looking for work. There are also plenty of clients who don't have a clue as to what they want and are willing to take the suggestions of a contractor. That is the client he is used to. You are not that client.

• 1929Spanish
    9 years ago

I also agree that the relationship won't work. I do pick up something from your post that makes me want to point out an observation.

You seem overly upset about a conversation with someone you haven't paid. I would suggest finding a contractor you like and just listen with an open mind when they have suggestions. Chances are there could be a couple that make sense.

We gave our plan to an architect and he couldn't come up with something that made more sense. But he did have some suggestions on the execution that I didn't like at first, but were the right thing to do.

Same with our contractor,,,we had a good collaboration where the goal was to execute our vision in a way that made sense. And make sure you understand the pricing implications of your choices and are prepared to execute them within your budget that includes a contingency fund. I have a good head for that stuff and still got a surprise or two.

• User
    9 years ago

What Gracie said, above.

When I was getting quotes from GCs for our lover level renovation I almost selected one who was driving me crazy during the bidding phase, because the one I really wanted was too busy and the other one I kind of wanted didn't show up to the first meeting. I didn't doubt that this guy could do the work, but he was so negative and naysaying that after seeing him three times---just to measure the space over and over again---- I knew there was no way I could work with him. I knew he had spent a good bit of time researching brick floors for me (he'd never seen them inside, never subcontracted them out, thought they were a tomfool idea and why didn't I use laminate because after all it was just a basement) so even though we had not signed a contract I sent him a check for $1000 and thanked him for all the time he'd spent but did not feel it would work out. I dumped him without guilt. But he had spent many hours trying to line up workmen for something he'd never done before he could construct an initial quote, so I felt obligated. If your guy has had nothing more than a couple of meets, I would let him know you are "going in another direction"......and run!

• Kippy
    9 years ago

This is the best your relationship with him will ever be, he is still trying to get your business, once you sign his attitude will only go downhill.....if you already don't like him why consider signing unless he was the cheap bid based on using cheap materials.

• rockybird
    9 years ago

I agree with Gracie. He has reasons for his suggestions. You need to go with someone else. It's stressful enough remodeling without dealing with a difficult and resistant ctr.

• MagdalenaLee
    9 years ago

I also agree with Gracie. When contractors say stuff like that, it's because the don't know how and can't bother to figure it out or whatever you want is going to negatively affect their bottom line. BSers to the core!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

I have MY plan in MY head and I know what materials I want

==>>> get some plans drawn up .. and hire a contractor who will build according to those plans ...

elsewise.. all i see is a lawsuit .. since you have no leverage about arguing at what he built rather than what is in your head

i dont even understand.. why a builder would hire onto such a job .. he will never be able to build.. what is in your head ....

i think you are trying to save a buck by not getting it all drawn out ...

whether you stick with this particular fellow.. will be determined by whether he can build what is drawn up

ken

• marcolo
    9 years ago

I agree with Ken. You're the one responsible for the scope of work. Write it up, draw it up, and have contractors bid on that.

• mdln
    9 years ago

Get a new GC!!!

Mine would probably do anything I asked, would tell me if there would be an upcharge (''do you realize those cabinet pulls will total $300?''), would comment aloud when he agreed (''that is a good idea''), would be silent if he did not agree, would tell me what he thought - when I asked him (''most people....''). Often said, ''want you to be happy.''

• edeevee
    9 years ago

I guess I'm the voice of dissent today. We're using an Amish guy to rehab our sunroom. He came really highly recommended but, gosh, has it been a struggle. We initially just wanted him to replace the windows ... as cheaply as possible for now because we'd just sunk all our available $ into a major remodel inside.

I wanted those vinyl patio windows. "No, you don't," he said, then asked if he could bring "his guy" over to show us "real" windows that we could get for almost the same price. The guy came. I chose the single hung windows - there are 9 of them, plenty enough breeze without the movable upper sash. "You don't want those," he said. "Let me talk him into giving you a deal."

When we started the demo for the windows, he noticed the doors weren't the "right" size. "You don't want nice new windows with those narrow, old doors," he said. "It won't be that much more. You'll thank me." The next week it was a window in the exterior door that he "knew" I needed. And not just a window, a leaded glass one. I put my foot down then. I've seen a lot of leaded glass insert doors that look cheap. I did not want one. Not for the door to the sunroom and not for the front door either, which he'd now commanded we replace too.

Of course, when the doors were delivered, they had leaded glass anyway.

Next up was the ceiling, which, according to him, "Just ain't right." He proposed adding to the rafters so we could insulate the room better, and while we were doing that we wanted to replace all the drywall "a' course". And the drywalled ceiling should be textured. "NOT POPCORN!" I begged. "No, no, my guy will do something you'll like."

"I don't like this step," he said, one day when he was supposed to be installing the door from the garage to the sunroom. "I know you say it doesn't bother you but, I tell you, I couldn't abide by it." I left to go to the grocery store and, by the time I returned, the concrete saw was out and half of the funky little step over thing was already half gone.

"It's not near as bad as your front steps though," he said. "Wait till you see what my guy is gonna do with those." I wasn't crazy about our front steps either, although I'd really planned to wait until spring to replace them. "Oh no," he said. "You don't want to do that."

Once the windows, the doors (except the front one), the ceiling joists, the drywall, half of the wall studs and the siding were replaced, it was time to think about trim. "Plain or fancy? Do you think you'll want a sill?" "I don't care," I said, since I knew he was going to do it his way anyway.

It's just about done now. There are a couple pieces of trim to paint and we need to wait until spring to do flooring. He's coming out next Saturday to install the front door (with matching leaded glass).

And I have to say ... he was right. About all of it. It is a lovely, comfortable room now. The double hung windows are great. The texture on the ceiling helps diffuse all the light. I don't have to watch out for the funky little step when I'm carrying cups of coffee. I love the prisms that fill the room from the beveled leaded glass insert in the door.

Yes, it cost more than I thought I wanted to spend, but it wasn't THAT much more. And, in the long run, he saved me money because the changes he proposed uncovered some pretty serious rot. If I'd waited until I knew I could afford it, I might not have a sunroom that could still be saved.

He's already told me that we're working on the garage next because "You don't want a pole in there. Nobody likes a pole." He's been eyeing the old lady ramp in there too. "It takes up too much space." I have no doubts that "his guy" will be back to fix the crack in the floor, probably the driveway too. And who knows what else I'll get before he's done.

I'm pretty sure we just got lucky but still, sometimes someone else knows what you want better than you do.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Edeevee, please tell me you live near DC. I need that guy! ;). Seriously.

• edeevee
    9 years ago

Sorry, cyn. Maybe you should move to Indiana?

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

Great story, edeevee. Wasn't sure which way it was going to go until I got to the end!

• finallyhome
    9 years ago

Ok Edeevee - That's got to be the best contractor story ever. "Not that much more." I love it

• finallyhome
    9 years ago

Dahoov2 - Forgot to say RUN, DON'T WALK away for this guy.

• dahoov2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So many great posts. Thanks everyone. Well the general consensus is dump him before it gets worse is what I am reading. Yes, he did seem put out by doing up the quote and me potentially getting another quote or two. Someone above said something that stuck with me: if he's got an attitude now before I pay him, what's it gonna be like after? That's an excellent point.

To Ken, no, it's not about saving a buck and not having it drawn out... none of the contractors I had come had that ability! They actually draw it freehand. I'm actually having one come in who does CAD and 3D presentations. Took me forever to find a contractor who did that! He's the most expensive for sure and the busiest though. I also did draw my own plans using Punch Interior designs. My only issue was wall space wasn't figured in (5" approx per wall I guess so I need to recalculate and lose a little space meaning I'll need custom cabinets in the laundry room).

To the person using an Amish person to do windows: sounds like he was milking you for everything you had! He may be right but to me, they don't make you feel good by doing what THEY want all the way through even though you didn't want to pay all that! When they are gone with their money in your pocket... you are the one left holding the empty sack. Someone has to replenish that. Unless you got a lot of extra to spare. Some houses are worth spending the extra dollars on certain things and some are not. I'm already at the point I'm not going to get my money back after this remodel. I'll be upside down for a few years. No doubt I'll have the nicest house in the few block area but no way can I afford "more" by a contractor like you had ;) Glad it worked out for you though. I do agree they for sure know more about plumbing, electrical, foundation work, roof trusses and such things as that. But design work and aesthetics should never factor in because if I wanted a designer, I'd hire a designer. I'm paying him to build; not to design.

He's mostly a "sunroom" builder anyway and will contract out for the plumbing/electrical. I also asked him to work up a quote on another side project and he didn't do that. The more I think about it, the more everyone is right.

To the person who said I'm overly concerned: I don't think so. I'm putting out at least 100k-150k. To some that may not be a lot of money but for us, it's to make this our final home where we will live till we're put in a nursing home. I want to be happy with the short amount of time I have left. I want my money and time used wisely. So don't think I'm overconcerned. It's a big deal to me and I want the right person (I also don't want roof leaks and such after either!).

To the person who wanted brick flooring in their basement. You like it? You should have it! It's nobody's position to judge. Which was my point. Someone could tell you "that's not "in" now" or something but if you say you still want it, they should say, cool. Let's find some bricks! That's my opinion anyway. Besides, different is cool. Who wants cookie cutter? Laminate? I'd rather have brick too. At least you won't look like next door and the room will have character!

• rockybird
    9 years ago

As I said above, I would look elsewhere for a ctr. That guy probably has ulterior motives and is at the least too opinionated.

The only thing I might add is make sure the ctr. gets permits, if they are necessary. Also, if you are spending 100-150k, do you think the plans should be made by an architect or designer?

• judomom2
    9 years ago

edeevee what part of indiana? sounds like I need this guy to come to my house