Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lampshade paint

Posted by anitamo (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 20, 12 at 2:20

http://www.pier1.com/Metropol-Floor-Lamp/2377110,default,pd.html?cgid=floor_lamps

Do you think this shade can be painted in white? If so, what type of paint should be used? I love the base, just not crazy about the beige lampshade. Thank you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lampshade

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lampshade paint

I've asked myself the same thing as I have lampshades I want to replace (but I can't think of a paint that you could use...to me it would block out more of the light you want.) Maybe someone can suggest a great source for lampshades?

o

I would cover it in fabric-there are plenty of tutorials out there and it's not very difficult.

o

I don't think it would paint well as it has a nubby texture....if you want it white, you could try bleaching it and see what happens...I mean if you don't like it anyway, why not. If that doesn't work, you can always recover it.

I have painted lamp shades before, but the parchment type, not fabric....

o

I would try a spray paint.

o

Peroxide instead of bleach. It works for me. Try just a bit on the inside edge, results will depend upon the fabric. If not, covering the shade would be my rec as suggested above. Or a new shade since you really like the lamp.

o

Thanks for the help everyone. I just bought it yesterday and I can still return it, but fell in love with the base. I thought the shade color would blend better in the room. I hate to spend more money on it by getting a new shade at this point. So back to square one with looking for a modern floor lamp.

o

I wouldn't try to paint it. It would be very difficult to get the paint on evenly. And a blotchy paint job would look really bad when the light is on. The peroxide might work, but a new lampshade would be the best.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here