Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mahatmacat1

Anyone good here on kilim rugs?

mahatmacat1
15 years ago

Ah, now that I wrote that title, I remember we used to have a wonderful member who is a Persian rug expert...but is there anyone around who knows Kilims? I have a rug I found today (yeah, I have a bit of a Goodwill habit) that is not a run-of-the-mill cheap commercial wool kilim...and I'd love someone to tell me about it or give me a lead to somewhere that people would... I don't think it's Antiques Roadshow kind of quality, but it's a fine weave, I think vegetal dyes...does anyone know of any leads in this area?

Comments (23)

• allison0704
    15 years ago

I shot her an email. Do you have a picture? I love Kilims.

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi allison,

I'll try to take a picture today. Thanks for mailing her :)

• stinkytufted
    15 years ago

if you have close photos I may be able to give some insight. Some of the rug bloggers might be the best bet to help out a lot.

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'll take some close photos...your name suggests you have a familiarity with some kinds of rugs :) and who are good rug bloggers? I'll admit I have no knowledge of the rug blogging community, but it stands to reason there is one, since there's one for everything else! Thanks.

• parma42
    15 years ago

Hi Fly,

I love flatweaves of all types.

This is a new one I got for the area above the basement steps. It's new but at least it's from Turkey. :)

Good for you that you found one on a scavenger hunt! I'll try to add a link to a Kilim site I just found that shows heirloom rugs, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kilim.com

• stinkytufted
    15 years ago

Hi parma, don't mean to ruffle feathers, but just wanted to provide some insight. It's a really pretty rug you have above, here's what I know about these.

This is actually a Caucasian design Peshawar Oriental rug from Pakistan made by Afghan weavers. They make these in 3 much different qualities, partly comprised of natural dyes, but a very low percentage. This exact type of rug has been imported from Pakistan for the last 10 years or so, but weaving has migrated a little more recently.

here's a link below with JBOC talking to an importer of just these kinds of rugs. The one they're standing in front of is a high quality version.

eBay has these often in the lower grades. It may have been purchased in Turkey, but even these bazaars import from other countries.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pakistan made Caucasian design

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

O.K., I have some pics now. I'm betting stinkytufted will be able to tell me that it's nothing much, but that too is great information!

I don't know how to put pics in the post, so I'll link to my flickr folder.

The rug is 60"x78", btw.

Here is a link that might be useful: two photos--colors are truer in first, down toward bottom

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

btw, parma, that is a beautiful rug :) ANd thanks for the link -- I went there in my travels last night...I'm so not expert at rugs, though, even though I'm half Armenian -- I should be ashamed of myself :)

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

And if anyone's wondering about why I didn't include a full pic? It's because the one I took was no good! My hands shake sometimes and it's a wonder I can get anything still at all. I'll keep trying.

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here I am talking to myself, but just wanted to say to stinky that you've opened up another undiscovered winding path on youtube...I just entered "kilim rug" in the search box and I could be here for hours, just for the entertainment value!

• stinkytufted
    15 years ago

I really know very little about flatweaves. What I can say is it seems like it may have some natural dyes with the yellow and purple. maybe madder root combined with indigo for the purple.

I honestly would try turkotek forum. I'm not entirely certain but you may get a response. Just go in there knowing they may say it's worth nothing. some of the bloggers are good too. Wish I could help out more

btw don't worry bout the rug knowledge... bad example but Kardashian is armenian and she said nothing on Cribs about her rugs apparently.

Here is a link that might be useful: turkotek

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

stinky, thanks for that link and your thoughts about the dyes. Turkotek forum is quite an impressive site. Maybe I'll try to ask around locally first. I was interested in the completely unfinished edges...not sure if I want to get them repaired or what.

• stinkytufted
    15 years ago

no prob. i checked out some of the vids too. pretty interesting stuff out there!

asking local would help. a kilim should really be looked at in person. as for the ends, it may not be cost productive to have the ends finished by a pro. they usually want around $5 a linear foot, so for a rug like this, you're looking at somewhere around $50+ for overcasting. Dont let the place you take it to know you're interested in having the ends finished until they tell you the general value of the rug first. Otherwise, if you go in there with the intention of having the ends overcasted, they may inflate the value if they're not reputable to get the job so it seems like a worthwhile investment. you know what I mean?

If the rug is not worth much, you may want to consider having a friend who's handy with a needle and thread just finish the ends. It's a simple stitch I believe.

The link below is a cross overcast, usually one single wrap should be enough.

anyway, best of luck,

Here is a link that might be useful: finishing rugs to prevent loss to ends

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ah, thanks, stinky. And I did post one more pic to show you the whole rug, if you happen to check back on this thread. Believe it or not, the *browns* are what attract me to it...go figure. It's definitely not a complex rug but it's got a certain cleanness of line that appeals to me.

• stinkytufted
    15 years ago

a fantastic looking rug. It could very well be worth something decent. again, I'm just not too familiar.

some of these brown colors could even be natural color undyed wool from brown sheep. It's worth taking to a local pro to get a loose value.

how did you get this piece again?

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I seem to keep writing posts that start with "thanks, stinky" :)

Interesting about the brown being undyed wool. I will try taking it somewhere here and learning what I can -- I'll post what I learn.

Got it at Goodwill yesterday for $12. The rug told me to buy it :)

• parma42
    15 years ago

Cool rug Fly!

No, you didn't ruffle any feathers Stinky. I bought the rug at Homegoods because I wanted a 4x6 that would help keep the dust off the hardwood when we came up from the basement.

Never thought it was heirloom quality, lol.

• stinkytufted
    15 years ago

parma,

Actually I have one just like it in my vestibule. If you keep it in good condition, they'll certainly be around for a long time. I love these rugs

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, parma :)

• IdaClaire
    15 years ago

$12???? Goodness, you can scarcely even buy dinner for $12! Amazing deal on a great-looking rug!

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, auntjen :) Of course I can't eat this rug, but it will keep me warm if I need it to, so that's good...(thinking *frugal* these days!)

I remembered someone I know a bit around here who sells rugs -- I asked him to look at the pics and he said that he thinks it's Afghan or Persian Kilim. I googled those and ended up finding a Turkish Kilim that bears the most resemblance to it so far...nothing else all that close, even though it seems like it should be a pretty straightforward thing to match...

Here is a link that might be useful: the closest I've found (which isn't all that close)

• prickly_pear
    15 years ago

Dear Fly,

This kilim is probably a Persian kilim and could be around 50 years old. Usually these types of kilims can be sold in a $200 - $600 range, so $12 is very very cool! I found a kilim with similar designs at Kilim.com. Even though it is a Turkish kilim, you may want to check it:

Here is a link that might be useful: Konya Kilim Area Rug

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Very nice, prickly pear, thanks! Are you a "rug person" or devotee? You definitely got the brown and off-white stripe aspect, and the design is closer than what I found. It is a dear thing, although DH is wondering what we'll do with it because it's clearly never seen a floor (was it ever even finished in the first place?) -- maybe we'll hang it on one of these double-height walls we've got...I have a pretty cool rya rug hanging already with many of these same colors...wonder if they'd like each other...

I learned that there is an excellent Persian rug cleaner/restorer here in my town (one of the best in the country, I'm told) -- I think I'm going to take it to them to find out whatever I can from someone seeing it IRL, too. Thanks!