Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
patty_cakes_gw

Attention Alllison & mtnrdredux...

patty_cakes
12 years ago

Here's the blog site I mentioned. Do you suppose she'll get upset w/me for posting it? Am sure i'll get an email if I made a boo-boo. ;o)

Here is a link that might be useful: blog...

Comments (14)

• allison0704
    12 years ago

Probably, LOL I used to go there now and then, but it's all the same. And is too much of "me, me, me" for me. Thanks for posting.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    12 years ago

I'm sure she wouldn't mind a critic! I am a big fan. It is very RH and Shabby Chic, but I confess I am a sucker for that style. Pillory me now if you must.

I love her stuff, in fact it was her blog that sent me on a frantic search for a french silver slipper tub that wasn't $17,000!

Her tub on the upper right hand corner of the blog inspired mine:
    {{!gwi}}

• tinam61
    12 years ago

I didn't see your other post mentioning this blog, but I'm pretty sure it's been mentioned here before, so I wouldn't worry. She seems pretty friendly, I wouldn't expect a complaint. (Lovely tub btw!)

I read this blog on occasion. Enjoyed the recent magazine article on their home (I'm thinking it was Renovation Style? Can't remember.)

Allison - didn't you buy something from her shop?

tina

• patty_cakes
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Allison, it's called 'Californiaism', but mostly referenced as, 'it's all about me'. So glad I don't live there anymore~~i've met a lot of *real* people in TX. Sorry if i've slighted any Californians that post here, but i'm sure you've heard the 'speal' a few times so please don't take it as a personal affront. Yes, it is just too too much. I wonder how the kids like being dragged to all those dusty warehouses, etc.? Am wondering if the parents considered that Belgium vacation fun for the kids when most of their time was looking at 'all things old and worn'. Probably was a good tax write off for the biz.

Mtnrdredux, awwwww shucks, I forgive you!

Tina, well since the damage has been done, i'll take the flogging if offered. ;o)

• leahcate
    12 years ago

mtnrdredux, is that your tub? Verrrry nice, but not as beautiful as that background of pond(?) and weeping cherry. Sigh. Are you in the south?

• allison0704
    12 years ago

I ordered a wooden bread board, but it never arrived. Her shop sent an email that they had come in and were horrid. Wouldn't sell. Good thing, since I found the same ones elsewhere for less and ended up buying something from a local antique store instead.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    12 years ago

Thanks, Leah. Yes, it's our pond. We are in Connecticut, why? (oh and excuse the construction debris)

• leahcate
    12 years ago

Just so pretty, I wondered. I love living in Ca., but I'm from the south, and back east pics, north or south, can still make me drool. I've visited Greenwich a time or two and fell in love with Ct.
    Oh, but now I have a needy question I had no idea I'd want from you until today. I'm so excited, as it turns out that instead of working around our existing jacuzzi tub, we may gut the whole area and I can have a free standing tub. Yea! Probably not as gorgeous as yours, I'm afraid. I'm not at all sure I could invest in even a knock-off silver slipper. With all the new bath research, tubs have not been on the list until today, so I know zip. Can you help me? Could you share with me where you found your beautiful tub, and any tub related advise you might offer? :>)lc

• mtnrdredux_gw
    12 years ago

Hi Leah,

Goodness, how could you not love CA? We fell in love with our property and moved here entirely on a whim, and I though I love our grounds and pond and setting, once in a while i think 'why didnt we just move to Santa Barbara'.

What I really wanted was a silvery tub like the ones you see starting about half way down in the link. I found some by Waterworks, LeFroy Brooks and ChadderUSA.

I think the Waterworks tube was about $18,000. The Velvet and Linen Blog had a piece about these tubs maybe 2 years ago? They reccommended a source where you could get a tub that looked like these, for a lot less. Only they are aluminum or tin I think, not cast iron. I can find the source and post it.

I decided I wanted a tub with the properties of cast iron (holding heat, for example). So I got a cast iron for about $4000 and had it painted silver by the mfr. When it arrived, i didnt like it at all. I thought it looked more like the silver on a car body then the tubs I was trying to emulate. I planned to have it distressed or somesuch, but now Ive gotten used to it.

When you are looking for a free standing tub, some things to consider are:
    1 How deep do you want it
    2 How long do you want it
    3 do you want it off the floor with feet or on a pedestal
    4 what material do you want (resin, cast iron, aluminum, even copper)

Here is a link that might be useful: tubs

• mtnrdredux_gw
    12 years ago

And here are two more sources for that look tub

I dont think this one was avail when I was looking
    http://www.signaturehardware.com/product13359

the source in the link has some great looking tubs but I was reluctant to buy resin w/o seeing it in person ...

Here is a link that might be useful: I considered this source

• mtnrdredux_gw
    12 years ago

oh and i meant to add!

Be sure to consider the bridge faucet and sprayer and all the hardware you need for a freestanding tub. That can add up.

• leahcate
    12 years ago

Wow mtn! Thanks so much for your info and links. This tub biz is so new to me. We never use the jacuzzi tub (there is one in back with pool and do use that a lot), so I never considered what I'd want if we replaced it. If I, or a family member, ever did want to use it I'm unsure what type would be best: a "slipper" or a soaker? Both look very awkward to get out of. Yours is gorgeous. As for the equipment, some sites included the workings, faucets, etc. Some were under 2k. Would they be not be cast iron, or generally unworthy in some way? I will need to go tub shopping. Hopefully the $$ we save in tile will make up for new tub cost.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    12 years ago

Hi Leah,

I really love to take a bath so this was an important feature to me. When we bought the house, they had a built in tub in the same spot, and I knew I wanted freestanding with a wide plank floor.

I think jacuzzi tubs or jetted tubs have fallen out of favor in bathrooms. We too have a hot tub and pool, steps away from my bathroom, so there was no reason to put in jets. Plus I think a jet in such a small place feels like a pummeling, no? I believe a soaker tub is a bit of a grandiose term for any tub that is not jetted, but it might also imply greater depth than the standard.

A slipper tub is a free standing tub that is higher on one end. A bateau tub, like mine, is the same height on both ends. You are right, they are hard to get out of imho. In fact the first time I used mine I fell trying to get out. It's something that never occurred to me but worth being mindful of.

As far as faucets and the various pieces to bring the plumbing out of the floor, I think it's safe to say that it will always cost more than a standard tub. I splurged on a Horus fixture. My tub is actually visible through a glass barn door form the MBR, and i wanted something special. I know that my plumber, however, tells me that the innards for a lot of these very high end fixtures are no better than midrange products.

I believe the more competitively priced models are acrylic. Supposedly they do not hold the heat as well as cast iron. I wonder how much that matters. But my GC really thought I would not like a "plastic" tub. And since I ended up spending less by painting a cast iron than getting the tub I wanted, it seemed like a good choice for me.

• cooperbailey
    12 years ago

mtn- simply wonderful- construction and all!