Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
valinsv

Feeback Requested on Fabrics from Calico Corners and LR/DR plan

Valerie Noronha
16 years ago

I went to Calico Corners today and was very impressed with their quality, customer service and selection and would like to know of others' experience with them.

I would also like feedback on some fabrics I am evaluating for my living and dining room. While the rooms are visable from one another, they are separated by the foyer with wide entries on both sides. Wall colors were recently painted when we remodeled, though I am open to repainting the accent wall. I plan to do my occasional tables in antique 1940's style mahogany (Hepplewhite/Duncan Phyfe). Here is what they look like now (piano will stay but will be moved away from fireplace wall):

{{gwi:1846540}}

{{gwi:1791829}}

{{gwi:1854798}}

Here are some of the fabrics I am considering:

{{gwi:1854799}}

{{gwi:1854801}}

{{gwi:1854803}}

My husband's aunt just gave us a set of 4 beautiful pillow covers (upper right above) which I think could tie into my color scheme--but again I don't want to base a decision on this. I would like the sofa to be in a light neutral fabric which I can change the look easily as well as bring in color through the use of sofa cushions. The fabric I'm considering is a herringbone pattern--but can't decide between the two colors pictured above--left is a vanila/bone color and the right has more gold tones to it. I'd even be open to using the fabric on the sofa printed below--it's hard to tell as I didn't take a closeup by the little dots are in green on the gold background. Here's a pic of the type sofa I would like, though I will do 3 T-cushions instead of two:

{{gwi:1854804}}

Also in the plan are for 2 arm chairs which I would like to use the floral. I am thinking of using the stripe pattern for accent pillows--for the sofa and perhaps even the armchairs--unless the recommendation is for a solid. Another option I am considering is to recover my dining room chairs in this fabric which would be good since we do bring in the dining room chairs to the living room for overflow seating--assuming it could be coordinated with an as yet unselected oriental style floor rug. ALternatively, I also like this fabric for the dining room chairs, if I could find something similar:

{{gwi:1854806}}

If anyone has some recommendations where to purchase fabric like the above, I'd love to hear it.

Paired with this for the window treatments, I would like to do a striped taffeta silk panels from RH with 3 silk roman shades per window. Cost is definitely a factor here as I priced out the shades today and were a bit higher than I'd like to pay at CC, though other plan could be to purchase at JCP. The ones I saw at CC today were all in lovely textured prints, though I was planning a bone/sand/ivory/bronze dupioni silk solid--now I wonder if that will be too boring. Lower cost option would be to do some linen textured cellular shades that sort of disappear into the frame when up. Here is the shade that I like though at CC:

{{gwi:1854807}}

I've set my budget to fully decorate these two rooms for $10K. It seems like a lot, but adds up quick. CC is having a sale now with $75/off every $500 purchase and RH has their 20% off sale later this week which I hope to take advantage of. CC also includes delivery and it looks like the fabrics already have some sort of stain protection as well.

Comments (7)

• les917
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I think your fabrics are lovely. I am not a floral person, so that floral wouldn't be my choice - I would likely do a paisley or jacobean instead - but the fabric and colors are very nice. What I am not crazy about is the stripe.

Compared to the other fabrics, the stripe seems too vibrant. Yes, the same colors seem to appear in the floral, but in much smaller doses, so that the overall effect is much more subdued imo. I am sure you checked, but at least on my monitor the green seems wrong for the LR walls, too. I would think about a similar stripe in a bit softer colorway.

I like the fabric (a paisley, see? LOL) of the shade, but don't care for the style - it looks messy. I do think a more neutral color for the shade might be a better base, and then have the major color interest come from the drapery. That way you have a chance of continuing to use the shades even if you decide to go down a different route for your decor. I am sure you are aware that silk takes a beating from the sun and will deteriorate, so you want to be sure the shades are well-lined.

This fabric seems similar to the dining chair, tho it is not the same.

treasure crimson

Love the herringbone fabric for the couch, I would likely go to the more neutral one.

Can't wait to see the rooms all done - I bet they will be amazing!

• mitchdesj
    16 years ago

I would definitely use the stripe for your dining room chairs and add a striped cushion trimmed with the tassel fringe on your sofa; I personally adore that style of shade, I think it will look great in a rich tone of silk.

I also love the herringbone you chose, the warmer tone would be my choice; as for other throw pillows, a small print such as the red you have on the chairs but in a green tone, trimmed with brush fringe, coupled with the one striped cushion , that might be a combo that would work on the sofa; you could have the green small print cushions piped with the striped fabric to bring in the red and use one of those cushions on each of the floral armchairs.

For your windows, I would temporarily install one of those striped panels to evaluate the effect in your room, what color are the stripes, tone on tone ?

A softer effect would be to have CC do coordinating panels and that style of shade, in the off white silk; the windows would be softly dressed but not making a statement or drawing the eye to them.

• piper101
    16 years ago

I'm liking your fabric choices very much!! Good eye if you ask me. I am a floral and stripe person and they are both good. I really like that paisley as well. The fabric on that chair is very pretty. If I come up with something similar or a store I know of carries something like this, I'll let you and get all the details for you. I look forward to seeing your final product,,,still LOVING your Craig's list find!!! You scored big time, thrilled for you.

• tinam61
    16 years ago

I like all your fabrics but I also like the plaid on the table shown in the sofa picture. And that floral behind the sofa (same pic) under the green fabric.

I love those shades and I think that tasseled trim would look GREAT in your room. That little table shown in the picture is great too!

I agree that in the first pics the stripe looks a bit vibrant for the floral. But, in the pic where you have both those laid out and the pillow covers, they seem more in tune. I'm thinking that larger floral I mentioned (under the green fabric behind the sofa) might be a bit more vibrant.

It's going to be beautiful!

tina

• jerseygirl_1
    16 years ago

I was just in there yesterday looking for drapery fabric.

I bought my current sofa and a chair and ottoman from them 5 years ago. Their quality and workmanship is great, and their furniture is made in the US. Their window treatments are made extremely well. I think they are a little pricey for WT's but the quality is great. I would buy there again.

I don't know where you live and how much time you have. There is a store in Philadelphia called Wilks that I have gotten CC fabric at for my previous home and saved $$. They are located on 4th street in the fabric district of Philly. I don't have the phone number since I just take a little ride there but I bet if you call them they may be able to help you. Fabric can always be sent. The store has a constant flow of interior designers.

• johnatemp
    16 years ago

I love the herringbone pattern!! I have the same. Great neutral that can work with anything!!
    {{gwi:1854808}}

I actually like that paisley on the shade. It would look very nice with your silk pillows you already have. Pull out the paprika as your accent such as your DR chairs like you mentioned.

Have you looked at PB for the silk roman shades?
    {{gwi:1854809}}

With the RH hardware drapes you like...
    {{gwi:1854810}}

OR Have you looked at JC Penney for the silk drapes? The LaScala has a 75" width (width and a half) for like $200 a pair!! That is an awesome price!! Solid colors.

I thought this plaid might be cute with your floral fabric for drapes - it is a Chris Madden. Only 40"W but you could do 2 panels on each side. Alot cheaper than Calico Corners. They do quality work but if you had them do your shades and panels and pillows you'd just about blow budget on those items!!

Smiles:)

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions so far.

les: I agree the green is not an exact match and don't feel repainting the accent wall is a big deal. The interior designer I was working with at Ethan Allan choose a color scheme around my paints and while pretty, the overall feeling was sage and I told her I was concerned I may grow tired of that color and I also want to pull in a little something from the red family. One thing she suggested though I agree with is that it needs to remain light as windows are a northern exposure. Thanks for showing the fabric for the chairs in my picture. It is very close. I'll see if I can order a swatch and then once I choose my rug, one or the other may grab.

johnatemp: Love the pic of your sofa. That is the effect I am striving for with the colorful cushions that can be swapped and changed over the years if I want a different look. Funny with the plaid I took very similar pic to one you posted and showed it to DH and he put thumbs down--though I personally liked it. With the roman shades I was hoping for something with more interest when down and also a scalloped shape when up as I feel the 8' wide window needs some curves to balance it out. Thanks for the suggestion though with PB as I didn't know they also did the shades. That is what I am thinking of pairing the two--but different color combination from RH. My color scheme will actually be similar to yours.

jerseygirl: Glad to hear you are happy with the quality at CC. I'm in CA, but thanks anyway for the Wilks suggestion.

piper: Yes, I'm loving that find also. I did get a mirror on Craigslist and ordered a set of buffet lamps for the sideboard. Will post when I get ready to hang. Found a set of matching drum tables today on Craigslust--only the are over 1 hr. drive away, but a good price. Still thinking what to do.

tina: Hard to tell from the pics--but it's all the same floral--just different views. I definitely want to do the floral. It's actually quite similar to one an Interior Designer at Ethan Allan had selected for me which is double the cost that I can do this one at CC.