Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txmarti

What do you think of this chandelier for my dining?

TxMarti
10 years ago

{{!gwi}}

My dining room, except I have bamboo shades on the windows now and a round table with paisley upholstered chairs.

This post was edited by marti8a on Mon, Nov 11, 13 at 1:37

Comments (32)

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

It's hard to say because I don't know what the finish/quality of the chandelier nor the rest of your decor looks like, but unless it's real brass and not fake builder-grade brass, I would consider painting it.

Chalk paint

Various metallics

or even a coordinating color

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't know what the quality is either. Found it on CL and it said it had been in the attic for years. I wondered what the odds are of it working.

I know I've got a better picture of the kitchen too, but can't find it either. This will give you a general idea and this is a view from inside the dining room.

The living room is empty. There is an antiqued brass ceiling fan in there.

This post was edited by marti8a on Mon, Nov 11, 13 at 10:38

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    10 years ago

Love that chalk paint look!

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

But what about unpainted? I really like the look of brass if it's solid brass.

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

Marti- Are those beams in the LR new? They look wonderful...as does the rest of the remodel :)

The chandelier is pretty, but how big is it? If you really like it (and it's not expensive) I'd give it a try. Sometimes it's nice to have something a bit unique...says the gal, who just came back from shopping at Good Will, again. Love that old stuff you find there, you can't find at the stores!

• Scarlett001
    10 years ago

It is really personal taste. I don't like the look of brass myself so I would paint it. I do think that the painted look (the chalk or dark brown) looks a bit more in line with your colour schemes. The chandelier adds elegance but the other paints make it look more understated. But it you like the brass, then maybe you will like it standing out more so you don't need to change it.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, LL, we're doing the living room beams right now. I don't know what size it is, I haven't contacted the seller yet. Thought I'd see if the style was even good first.

Scarlett, the hardware on my kitchen cabinets is antiqued brass and I wondered if I could antique this chandelier, without a full out paint job on it. I do like the chalk paint photo though.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I think if it's real brass, it would be very nice, especially if you can make it look a bit duller or aged.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I LOVE brass! I have a brass chandy in my dining area and a large brass chandy in the library. My DD suggested that I spray paint it. Well hush your mouth, no way do I want to paint a good quality brass . I can't tell from the picture if it is a good quality irl but it appears to be. If you can straighten the arms out and they aren't asking an unreasonable amount I say go for it and allow the brass to shine!

• Jamie
    10 years ago

I'd want to find out about the hook shaped things below
    the candles. What are they? And the wing things - are crystals supposed to hang? If not, I'd skip this one -- those wing things, if they have no purpose, are not that attractive. And the hook things? What do they "say" to you?

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I just assumed those were decoration only. They look too big to ever have had crystals on them. I'll have to check that out.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've reconsidered and decided you are right. Brass isn't popular right now so it's out. I keep forgetting this isn't about what I want anymore, but what will sell the house. *headslap* Our market will probably be young families 30-35. What would that age want? That should have been my question.

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

First - May I tell you how much I LOVE your living room; floor, beams, wonderful height.

Your dining room looks GREAT... however, I don't like the chandelier at all for your lovely new dining room. Full disclosure, I'm not a traditional chandelier type person and think you can do much better with something else.

Hmmm. Maybe I can photoshop a few options?

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

I'd forgotten that you are selling. I am by no means suggesting that you waste this kind of money on a new light but if you're going to paint/rework a fixture, suggest you look for something more along the line of these.

Best of luck, oldbat2be

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you. I really like it too. Please do photoshop oldbat2be. Btw, we're trying to decide tonight between these two flooring choices for the living room.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I hate to take a picture of the dining table with all the mess in there right now, but our table is a round, oak, single turned pedestal with the Windsor chairs shown in the picture above.

I like the bottom left chandelier and think it would look good with the room and our current furniture which we'll have here while we try to sell.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

How is this one?
    {{!gwi}}

I'd like it better if it didn't have the things hanging off. It seems like I've seen one like that somewhere, but I couldn't find it tonight.

Or this one?
    {{!gwi}}

Or this one?
    {{!gwi}}

This post was edited by marti8a on Tue, Nov 12, 13 at 0:12

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Does the table dictate the size of the chandelier, or the size of the room?

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

For resale: A Pottery Barn look-alike from Overstock

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think you are probably right. I love the Armonk chandelier from PB, but can't find anything else like it. I like the Graham too and the Lowe's version above it similar except for the curved pieces from light to light, and that's the reason I like it. Actually, the Graham isn't that expensive.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

How about this one from Home Depot for 169.00

Or the PB Graham for 179.00

Overstock 85.00

Overstock 95.00

I like this one, too, but it's quite different. 95.00 5 lights

• lascatx
    10 years ago

I like the $95 Overstock choice above as a nice mix of updated, not to curvy, not too spindly, not too trendy, classic but updated and at least looks like someone who doesn't like shades (my DH) could possibly remove them. And can't argue with the price. I also like the bottom two of your three just above that, but not the first one. You need something a bit generic but updated and that one is neither for me.

From what I've seen of your house in these photos, I would also consider something like this -- it's on Joss & Main today for $215. Might not be something you want for resale and leave, but the color and weight seem like they would be good with your wood and beams.

• alicate
    10 years ago

Off topic, but I have been looking for that $85 light fixture forever! I've searched through overstock and couldn't find it. Do you a direct link to it? Thanks for finding it for me even if you didn't know I was looking for that! Yay!

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I finally decided to get the 4th fixture nosoccermom posted, and now I need to re-ask a question about overstock.

When I did a search, it came up with a link for an 8-light chandelier, but had a section at the top for chandeliers that other people also viewed. The chandelier nosoccermom posted is there twice, with two different prices. Why is that?

{{!gwi}}

Overstock page

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I just did a search on Overstock just to see how many times that chandelier was listed, and found this one too. I like the simplicity and grace of the one nosoccermom found, but I like the detail on this one. Not as wild about the globes. What do you think?

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

@alicate:

Link below for the chandelier. Name is indoor 4-light antique copper chandelier

Here is a link that might be useful: 4-light antique copper chandelier

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

@marti: I think the chandelier may be a bit too taste specific.

• lascatx
    10 years ago

I agree that the one you like may not be as good for something you will leave in a resale.

The difference in price on the other one may simply be a result of the way they adjust prices from time to time (like Amazon) and it is still picking up two listings. I've seen that before -- sometimes the same price and sometimes not. I would just check the listing details on the page you are ordering from to make sure it doesn't show the wrong photo for a different size or finish.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You're probably right nosoccermom.

That makes sense lascatx.

I ordered the 5 light black iron one.

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

Oh lascatx, I like that one! Marti8a - which 5 light black iron one? The one you listed or nosoccermom's? Glad you were able to make a decision - please post a picture when it's up :)

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The one nosoccermom posted. I like all of the lights posted here, but this one seems to fit the area and will go with almost any table, plus the price was right.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Looking forward to seeing it in your room.