Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
acountryfarm

FINALLY !! A pic & house update

acountryfarm
14 years ago

Hi all you long time GW's and new ones too.

I am finally posting a picture update and a brief bit on what has been going on.

We have been in our new home for 8 months (can you believe it).

Finally got a 3 year mortgage in August. Whew !!!

We moved in with so much to do and have been plugging away ever since. We had painting, plumbing, some electrical & lighting, landscaping, stair flooring, exterior trim refinishing & painting, tile work, grouting, sealing, cabinet pulls, doorknobs, the list goes on & on.

This list does not even begin to deal with the issues we had with poor workmanship & builder issues. We had much to re-do.

BUT WE ARE IN !!

We have had an amazing journey with a wonderful summer.

The children learned what having space to run & play was, we entertained, had bon fires, hosted wonderful parties, planted, harvested, watched the sunrise & the sunset, & most of all ( as most of you know my position of faith) thanked God for His wonderful provision.

My life is not better because I have a beautiful home, but it is definitely richer because I have a place where we can serve others and offer a meal, a bed or as the case right now a piece of land to put up a tent. My children, I hope are seeing that service to others is where the real rewards in this life are.

I have tons of photos, there is much left to do. We don't have all the pulls on, nor the doorknobsf, we have touch-up painting, decor, furniture, etc still let in to do in several areas. Everything takes longer than you think thats for sure.

For those of you who started this journey with me, enjoy the fruit of your support, advice, love & prayers. There are days I thought I would never make it.

For those of you who are new, just remember your dream and keep on going, even when things are not so good.

Warning.....pic heavy, the dining room pics were from 1st b-day from grandmothers 91st b-day. The las few pics are from my moms 70th b-day, we had a country hoedown, boy that was fun.

Comments (82)

• credomk
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Congratulations on following your dream. What a beautiful place for your family to share and create memories. May you be blessed!

• rdsso
    14 years ago

What a beautiful home. We need details though. Love the wood floors and the tile. Can you share what they are?
    Enjoy all your family dinners and parties in your new place.

• carolfm
    14 years ago

Your home is beautiful! I'm so glad things have worked out for you. It looks like a happy place.

• folkvictorian
    14 years ago

What a gorgeous home! Every detail is beautiful and so well laid out. Congratulations on your lovely new nest!

• nutsaboutplants
    14 years ago

Beautiful! Elegant but comfortable and homey. Congratulations!

• deedee-2008
    14 years ago

How wonderful to see your post. You and your family went through some trying times with the build/robberies/mortgage headaches, so I'm so glad to see the happy ending you showed us. I don't know about others, but I love "picture heavy posts" since I'm so visually -oriented. Please take more exterior shots when you can.

• kellyjb-1730
    14 years ago

I'm brand new here but just wanted to say what a beautiful home and from what I can tell, a lovely spirit;) We too have just been blessed with a "gift from God" home. I'm looking forward to gleaning lots of advice from this board to make it as lovely as your is. Enjoy!!

• pat_tea
    14 years ago

I already posted but I wanted to ask. Did I read you live in the PNW? Kalama WA here! I love every day and evry season. Also, I also would like to see pics of the exterior and your property.

• pat_tea
    14 years ago

I already posted but I wanted to ask. Did I read you live in the PNW? Kalama WA here! I love every day and evry season. Also, I also would like to see pics of the exterior and your property.

• acountryfarm
    Original Author
    14 years ago

So many nice words and comments, thank you all so much!!

You all know this was truly a labor of love, prayer, faith & dreams.

Every single day I wake up and walk the halls down to coffee and thank God for allowing me to be in such a beautiful place.
    I look out the windows and sometimes weep with gratitude. I wonder how I can have so much when there truly is so much suffering.
    I know life is not fair, I have had my share up unbearable pain & burdens. God saw me through and I know it is my duty to teach my children to give often, smile freely and always remember there is someone who needs a hand out from where they came.

I appreciate each one of you and your nice words and as I have said before your are all welcome here for a GW's housewarming party!

Now for some details for those who asked.

Paint -- Whole house, except boys bedrooms & bathrooms is RH's "Butter"

Woodwork is all SW "Dover White" in semi gloss.

Wood Floors -- Reclaimed antique heartpine

Kitchen & mudroom floors-- Antique, tumbled travertine in versailles pattern.

Bedrooms-- Karastan 100% wool berber

All counter tops-- black honed granite,
    island & baking counters-- carara marble

Cabinet pulls-- Rejuvenation ( window sash lifts in polished nickel)

lighting-- too much to mention, ask about particulars if your interetsed. All the finish was polished nickel, most from Hudson Valley, Croft & Little, Restoration Hardware

Plumbing fixtures -- Sigma Reserve, Sancerre Collection

Thanks again!!

• Pat z6 MI
    14 years ago

Just shoot me now!

• acountryfarm
    Original Author
    14 years ago

To those who asked....
    ...yes we are in PNW, Willamette Valley & I also love all the beautiful seasons.
    We harvested apples, plums, asian pears, peaches, figs, english walnuts, sweet peppers, tomatoes, squash, watermelon, basil, green beans, hot peppers, cucumbers, pumpkins, and much more. We also harvested 33,000 lbs of filberts or hazlenuts whichever you prefer.

Here are some outdoor pics, some from last winter, some during construction. Harvest pics, more hoedown,
    My sweet boys lending a hand. Not in that particular order.

• scanmike
    14 years ago

Your house is truly beautiful. Love the photos. Thanks for sharing and best luck with everything.

• dawn25
    14 years ago

What a stunning home--but so cozy and welcoming too :-). I love it!

Dawn

• lisa_mocha
    14 years ago

WOW! What an absolutely beautiful home you have!!

The kitchen/dining rm...double wow!Gorgeous! It is sooo inviting.Love the beadboard...simply classic.

What a great place for friends and familty to gather.
    Congratulations and enjoy your new home:)
    L.

• bird_lover6
    14 years ago

Already been said, but...

WOW!

I love your style! I'm sure your house will be a great blessing to you as you are a blessing to others.

• learn_as_i_go
    14 years ago

Love, love, love it!

• alice462
    14 years ago

acountryfarm -- brought tears to my eyes to see your dreams come to fruition. I have followed much of your experience here and I have thought about you recently, wondering how it all was going. The photos are fantastic! Yet another affirmation that "God is good".....I hope you and your family enjoy many, many wonderful years in a home that is obviously filled with great love.

• User
    14 years ago

I already commented but I'm just sitting here with my mouth hanging open going,"Woooww".

• les917
    14 years ago

Wishing you many years of happiness and great memories made in your lovely new home!

• mahatmacat1
    14 years ago

Fabulous harvest! Did your own "live-in farmworkers" ;) harvest all those thousands of pounds of filberts?? Or did you bring in help for that? That's a ton -- or several tons, actually--of work there.

And if you tell me that you put up all those tomatoes/peppers etc. and made use of every single one I think I shall faint. WHEN do you sleep?! Still having trouble comprehending it all.

• jlj48
    14 years ago

I have followed your story, prayed for your family, and stand amazed at your faith in God and how humble you are. You have a beautiful home and wonderful life. How awesome that you are motivated to work so hard to serve others! You inspire me. Thanks for sharing your story.

• jlc712
    14 years ago

I am so happy for you and your family. I'm glad to see that you are enjoying your beautiful home after all you went through! Everything is gorgeous. Love it!
    Jen

• enailes
    14 years ago

Home is where the heart is....what a lovely and
    heartfilled home... it's just beautiful.

• ttodd
    14 years ago

How wonderful, wonderful, wonderful! Everything: Attitude, home, land, family - it's just beautiful - so glad to see the fruits of your hard labor!

My co-worker walked up while I was looking at the pics and she commented on how lovely your home is too!

• littledog
    14 years ago

In the middle of one of those seasonal threads about giving to charity, you wrote a particularly poignant post, and I remember writing you privately that you would be blessed according to your generous spirit. (See? I told you so. LOL) What a great place to have Thanksgiving. I still haven't seen all the photos from the first posting (crummy dial-up service; regrettable, but unavoidable), but I can already tell it's light filled and lovely. This morning, I see there's a new batch of blank squares waiting to load - great! I knew that trees are the "big thing" up there, but 33,000 pounds of hazelnuts sounds heavenly! How many acres of trees are there? How long has your family been orchardists?

After I post this, I'm going to put on my jacket and go outside to finish chores for an hour or so while the photos load; can hardly wait to see the rest.

• acountryfarm
    Original Author
    14 years ago

littledog - thank you so much for your kind words.
    We have 8 acres of filberts and have been orchardists only as long as we have had this property. It is not a full time thing but is definitely fun.

flyleft- Me sleep ? Are you kidding?
    To answer your question.. we do al the tree work, someone else harvests. That is prettymuch the way everyone here does it. Although most other orchard owners let the harvesters do the tree work as well. Their cut depends on what % of work they do.

Yes, I do use just about everything we harvest. Either canning, freezing, drying, or giving it away.

Thanks again!!

• lynninnewmexico
    14 years ago

I can't tell you how many times I've thought about you these past many months, Acountryfarm, wondering how you all were doing in your new home. I remember all the stress and complications you went through in getting this place and am incredibly happy to hear that you're well. I've enjoyed the pics of your beautiful new place. It's lovely. I hear the joy in your voice as you describe it to us and it's obvious that yours is a home built and filled with love.
    Please keep your pics coming. It's good to have you back with us again!
    Lynn

• zipdee
    14 years ago

How Beautiful!

Wishing you many, many, many years of happiness in your new home!

• pollyannacorona
    14 years ago

I dont post much any more but do a bit of lurking now and then. I was so moved by your story and am so overwhelmed by the outcome. Im sure you deserve this lovely home and God heard your prayers and the prayers on your behalf. It does such a service to Him to keep that faith even when things are mounting against you, and He has seen you through. The tone of your posts leave no doubt in my mind of what a special person you are. Love the style and decor, and I love the way the sink & cleanup area are away from the cooking area, and the double dishwashers? So smart and beautifully done.

• IdaClaire
    14 years ago

Acountryfarm, your new home is pure perfection! I absolutely love everything you've done. It's so very warm and welcoming!

• mimi_2006
    14 years ago

Absolutely beautiful! I don't know what I can add that others haven't said. A wonderful home to share with your friends and family.

• chloeelise
    14 years ago

Oh so gorgeous! I just love a home with arches, decked out trimwork, and beadboard. You did a great job with all the details.

• jan_in_wisconsin
    14 years ago

Super gorgeous home in a super gorgeous place! Enjoy!

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

"I don't know about others, but I love "picture heavy posts" since I'm so visually -oriented. Please take more exterior shots when you can."

me too! I can spend tons of time looking at even kitchen drawers, closets etc - lol! I loooove it!

such a beautiful HOME. I guess i missed the trials to get you there tho. I agree that the appreciation and love of it (and sharing) comes thru very clearly.

I counted 5 boys out there working... any girls?

it's good you have a crew to help with all of that food processing. Good learning for boys or girls - and great all around. it will give them great appreciation of what it takes to get the food to the table and tummy!

• acountryfarm
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks again everyone, I do so appreciate all your warm words.

desertsteph --

I like picture heavy posts as well, I know some people don't feel the same however.

I do have 10 sons & 1 daughter (only 7 still in the house), yes definitely good learning. We are homeschoolers so plenty of opportunity to try things, explore, create & rest.

• jant
    14 years ago

What a lovely home you've created! I love the hoedown shots too...brings back fond memories of ours years ago at our ranch.

Just wandering about that orchard would be sooo heavenly...:)Can imagine how wonderful it must smell too!

Can you tell me what your stone floor is in the hallway? We're looking at replacing our foyer tile which is giving up the ghost and I've been planning on an irregular layout such as you have...that's very much the look I'm after.

Kudos again!

• awm03
    14 years ago

My favorites in your exquisite home are the floor materials. The pine, stone, hex tile, and stained concrete are wonderful and add great character. My best wishes to you and your family for many happy years in your beautiful new home.

• acountryfarm
    Original Author
    14 years ago

jant -- the stone floor i the kitchen & the back hall is

Philadelphia Series light. It is tumbled, antique travertine in Versailles pattern. I love it even more now that I have livd with it. The upkeep is easy and it always looks good even with 7 children running around.

To the rest of you......
    ....This has been so nice to read. I shared with my DH and he said what a wonderful, supportive place to be a part of.

Thats the truth, isn't it?
    Even though we all communicate in cyberspace, my gratitude for all of you flows over in to my real life. I literally relied on your support through some of those very dark days of wondering what was to happen.
    I know God works through many ways and many people. Proof is in situations like these.

I am sure I am not the only one who has gotten much support, prayer, & encouragement here. May it always be so. Thanks all of you for making this what it is.

• burnGirl
    14 years ago

acountryfarm, I cant keep myself off of this post, keep looking at these pics over and over :) They are just adorable.

I noticed one thing, in the boys room(with black head and foot boards), the right side bed is laid out in reverse (foot and then head board) was that on purpose or just an over sight? I'm no design expert but was wondering if it was some sort of latest design strategy. It looks cool though :)

• lesmis
    14 years ago

So glad to see these pics! I've thought about your house often and wondered how it all turned out! It's just beautiful and I love everything about it, especially the lifestyle that seems to come with such a lovely home in such a wonderful setting! Enjoy!!!

Kat :)

• meghnjosh
    14 years ago

Just breathtakingly gorgeous...I love, love, love all the white painted woodwork....And ur photographs are simply amazing. You truly are blessed :)

• acountryfarm
    Original Author
    14 years ago

vcheethi-- those pics of the beds are from the guest room. I bought those bed frames on craigslist and that is the way they were. It was just a little shabby chic set of beds with funky head & footboards but fit perfectly with my vision for that room. The footboard actually appears taller in the pic than it is.

The cute bathroom pics are from the guest suite bathroom. The guest room is my second favorite room in the house, I love it and the views out those windows are fabulous.

• jant
    14 years ago

Thanks for the info on the flooring...I'll have to check that out.

• luv4pets
    14 years ago

Gorgeous.....this would be my dream home

• bungalow_house
    14 years ago

The family, the house, the farm...all just beautiful. :)

• cliff_and_joann
    14 years ago

wonderful, you are blessed. I loved the tour.
    Thanks for sharing your bit of paradise.
    Joann

• jaybird
    14 years ago

Thank you so much for the update...you are surely blessed and have every reason to be!!!
    I am thankful FOR you!
    J

• stayn2busy
    14 years ago

Absolutely love your kitchen / dining room. We are still in the framing stage, but I love beadboard and have plans for it in my kitchen & baths. RH Butter is a beautiful color and your decorating is so warm. I don't know "your story" but I do know your God and Yes... He is faithful! Thanks for sharing the pictures of your beautiful home!

• booboo60
    14 years ago

acountryfarm,

I,too, worried along with you as you struggled through your house venture. I am so pleased and yes, knowing our loving God to see you through is a blessing!! You have made your home a blessing to Him with your family! Congratulations and many happy years to come! This sign I bought for my house over my doorway makes me think of your house, "God rest Your love upon this door, Bless this home forever more"