Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iamskc

Design Help? Large LivingRoom Furniture Layout? See Pic!

iamskc
9 years ago

Hello Friends. Building a home and my very open floor plan has a large Living Room and I'm struggling with how to furnish it. Would those who know more than I do weigh in? I've attached a pic.

The room is essentially 22X22. We will have a large TV/Media/Bookcase system along the wall centered on the right. Otherwise I'm open. 4 piece Sectional? 2 couches facing one another? 2 piece sectional and a couch? Other ideas? And would you flank the fireplace with chairs to make that a separate sitting area? I'd love any and all opinions. I wish I was skilled enough to design a layout with actual sizes of furniture.

THANK SO MUCH!!

Comments (16)

• marcolo
    9 years ago

That room is twice the size of my living room. So I think you need to furnish it like several rooms. At least two functional groupings of furniture, maybe more. A games table. TV viewing. Reading or conversation.

I wouldn't rush to commit to putting the TV in the center of that wall. Wait to see how the furniture groupings shape up.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

You can either use two sofas or replace them with a sectional. It's important that the layout work with the beams above and I have purposely positioned your coffee table directly below the center beam in case you have the ability to install a chandelier in the room.

This post was edited by beverly27 on Fri, Nov 28, 14 at 8:33

• iamskc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Beverly this is amazing! Yes, there will be a large open lantern light hanging (see link).

Tell me why you didn't put the chairs closer to the fireplace. I want to learn from your wisdom!

Here is a link that might be useful: large hanging light.

• Christy Bell
    9 years ago

I think beverly27 layout is great - enjoying the fireplace and tv at the same time. Making those swivel chairs by the fireplace would allow more functionality also. Not sure of the practicality of the conversation area - if chairs and sofas too far apart from each other it becomes less intimate.

This post was edited by christyinco on Fri, Nov 28, 14 at 20:13

• bpath
    9 years ago

Is that lamplight in yellow circles. Beverly? Do you recommend floor outlets? What happens to an area rug if you have floor outlets?

• Jackie Kennedy
    9 years ago

Awesome idea Beverly27. This layout will work for my 18x18 Fam room of the near exact same setup. bpathome.....I actually did have floor receptacles installed just for the purpose of having furniture placed away from walls. I also had hdmi hookups on 3 out of 4 walls as I get bored and constantly change my furniture layout with the seasons.

• marcolo
    9 years ago

A person sitting in one of the chairs is 15 feet away from someone on the bottom couch. That couch has 10 feet of empty space between it and the right wall. If everything is to scale, those chairs are nearly 4 feet deep.

I hope you actually pay attention to how big this room is before you move into it.

• iamskc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Cristyinco I love the idea of swivel chairs. I'm doing it.

Marcolo... Yup. That's why I'm here. Trying to figure out the right way to handle the space.

I'm loving it. And yes, there will be receptacles in the floor on either side of the couch (or sectional) facing the right wall. Looks like if they are in line with the back of the couch they will avoid the rug. Now... what size iS that rug? I do wonder if the couch facing the right wall is too far away from the TV. Thoughts?

• kswl2
    9 years ago

Please re read marcolos post from Friday at 23:29. The actual furniture in the room will NOT look like the plan above.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

OK, my layout was a suggestion for the room and it was not to scale, but the room is 22 x22 and a 96" sofa or a 120" sectional is appropriate for the scale/volume of the room. Now I have superimposed graph paper over the room and have once again illustrated the layout. The sofas are 3'x8'. Fairly modest in size.

Swivel chairs are a fine suggestion for the room, but there is enough room for recliners if needed. Have to be careful with locating chairs directly in front of a fireplace that give off lots of heat. It will dry out the wood, crack the leather & affect the foam on the chair.

Now is the time to think about any outlets needed in the floor, unless you have a basement and can install them later.

Far sofa is 14' away from the flatscreen which I'm assuming could be 60-70" for the room, and that wall is supposed to receive some type of built in bookcase storage.

This post was edited by beverly27 on Sat, Nov 29, 14 at 9:50

• marcolo
    9 years ago

Hey, beverly27' so sorry--I didn't mean to imply you were the one responsible for drawing on graph paper! I'm on an iPad, and comments are such a pain to type that the messages tend to get terse.

I think that's a very nice plan. However, it still does not show the true scale of the room. The cocktail table alone is about 4 ft. square, and it's over 2 feet away from the couch on the left. The couches look more like 3 1/2 feet deep if you look closely where the lines fall. The differences are fairly subtle, but they add up. I think the furniture as shown would be lost in the actual room.

If the OPA likes this plan, she should try to draw it on graph paper with more detail, pulling all the furniture closer together around the coffee table. And then see what room is left.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

The room is only 22' square it's a reasonable size, but not a large room. The picture below, aside from the ceiling height is about the same size.

• iamskc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I've been struggling with this size issue for a while. Really do appreciate everyone's input. At first after being told we wanted a large open main living space the architect had it at 26x26! We shrunk it to 22X21.6 and would've gone smaller but shrinking started to effect the runs of the staircase. I'd love to make the best of it and a room to envy. Beverly I love what you have done for me. I will look for over-sized couches swivels.

marcolo... can you describe what arrangement you suggest in more detail? I'd appreciate it a great deal.

• Christy Bell
    9 years ago

JuniperSt - we moved into a home with a very large great room also - overall size: 29â² long x 27â² wide. I actually ended up submitting the space and dimensions to Ballard Designs design team and they came up with a space plan for me with recommended pieces. I did select a couple of their pieces, but mostly wanted the space plan. I thought they did a great job. Instead of the dining table and console I did bookcases along that wall (where the console was suggested) and did two chairs with a table between in front of the bay window. You could submit your space to them and get some ideas that way - it's free! I did find the key to making the space work and be intimate was to define different spaces. This is also a major walk-through, so needed to be mindful of that. Oh, btw, our tv is huge - it needed to be in order to see it from the sectional. The link to my space is below.

http://www.howtodecorate.com/2013/06/furniture-arrangement-in-large-great-room/

• Karenseb
    9 years ago

Can you run 12 in deep bookshelves on either side of the TV. Then in the middle area build 2 foot deep shelving to hold stereo, TV and misc. Put in a 12 to 15 inch deep false wall where the TV is on the wall which allows the TV to be a little closer to the sofa.
    Sort of like this picture, but deeper shelves in the middle.
    We converted our older deep cabinets by adding a false wall for our TV and are very happy with the outcome.

[Transitional Family Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/transitional-family-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_720~s_2112) by San Francisco General Contractors Upscale Construction