Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zippity_do_dah

Selected "Cranberry" for windows - now afraid!

Zippity-do-dah
11 years ago

Made a bold decision, felt I was being very clever. Now feel very insecure.

Throughout our new home, I decided to have cranberry on the window mullians and framing. This was inspired by a gorgeous house on HOUZZ. My thought was the cranberry would be deep red in some light, and look like cherry wood in other lighting. Also, cranberry would be an easy accent color for me to work with.

Ordered a Lacanche stove in Burgundy. Matches exterior windows perfectly.

Now wondering if the interior of windows should be painted a white to be "safe".

Home is under construction and is to be our "forever" home. Don't want to make any huge mistakes but still want some personality.

What do you suggest? Take the risk or back to the classics?

Thank you!!!

Comments (7)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

Of course choosing something different can make one insecure.

It seems to me, painting trim is not a horrible expense. I would go with your gut. Where we are at least, anything on the exterior will need paint in 5-7 years anyway... so you can always chicken out then!

• caminnc
    11 years ago

Sounds like it would be gorgeous. Go for it.

• kyliegirl
    11 years ago

I agree...go for it! Sounds very nice!

• lyfia
    11 years ago

It will be awesome! I wanted that, but the builder wasn't cooperative in taking out what he'd already put in as in he wanted way too much money. We bought an already under construction home.

• olivesmom
    11 years ago

It sounds wonderful and I think if you change it to white you will always wonder what if you had gone for the cranberry.

It's funny you posted this because I just decided on somethng very similar for our new build (though it is a few years down the road). I'm planning on barn red windows which will match the red aga cooker I'm currently obsessed over.

What you are planning sounds lovely and will look unique (in a good way). I say go fr it!

• Zippity-do-dah
    Original Author
    11 years ago

WOW

This is great! 5 people vote for the Cranberry and nobody pushed for the safe whites. This is NOT what I expected. So, OK, I'm jumping in with both feet. We still have months of work to be completed but I'll stay on Plan 1.

Lyfia, It means a lot that someone else had the same idea. I'm often out on the end of a creative limb and sometimes, my mistakes are pretty bad. On little things, like chair cushions, I'll take that creative leap and learn from it.....but, all the windows our new home. Yikes.

Olivesmom, Funny about decorating around a stove, isn't it?? I'd love a cooker, but not practical for us. Considered very seriously an AGA 6-4 in the dark red or Aubergine. Heartbroken to hear they were discontinued. The AGA cooker is such an icon.

It was here on Gardenweb that I learned that stoves came in colors!!!

A discussion about the safe whites would have been appreciated. But, I received support from everyone!!!! Happy Holidays and heartfelt thanks!

• nhb22
    11 years ago

In our second home (bought under construction over 30 years ago) I had my family room trim, French doors, and entertainment unit painted cranberry. Also the hallway to bedroom. We had natural grasscloth walls in those areas. This was when Colonial was in. I loved the look! However, now I would not be so bold.

Sponsored
WM Design Studio, LLC.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Loudoun County's Skilled Residential Architect | 4X Best of Houzz!