Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Selected "Cranberry" for windows - now afraid!

Posted by Zippity-do-dah (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 21, 12 at 1:14

Made a bold decision, felt I was being very clever. Now feel very insecure.

Throughout our new home, I decided to have cranberry on the window mullians and framing. This was inspired by a gorgeous house on HOUZZ. My thought was the cranberry would be deep red in some light, and look like cherry wood in other lighting. Also, cranberry would be an easy accent color for me to work with.

Ordered a Lacanche stove in Burgundy. Matches exterior windows perfectly.

Now wondering if the interior of windows should be painted a white to be "safe".

Home is under construction and is to be our "forever" home. Don't want to make any huge mistakes but still want some personality.

What do you suggest? Take the risk or back to the classics?

Thank you!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Selected "Cranberry" for windows - now afraid!

Of course choosing something different can make one insecure.

It seems to me, painting trim is not a horrible expense. I would go with your gut. Where we are at least, anything on the exterior will need paint in 5-7 years anyway... so you can always chicken out then!

o

Sounds like it would be gorgeous. Go for it.

o

I agree...go for it! Sounds very nice!

o

It will be awesome! I wanted that, but the builder wasn't cooperative in taking out what he'd already put in as in he wanted way too much money. We bought an already under construction home.

o

It sounds wonderful and I think if you change it to white you will always wonder what if you had gone for the cranberry.

It's funny you posted this because I just decided on somethng very similar for our new build (though it is a few years down the road). I'm planning on barn red windows which will match the red aga cooker I'm currently obsessed over.

What you are planning sounds lovely and will look unique (in a good way). I say go fr it!

o

WOW

This is great! 5 people vote for the Cranberry and nobody pushed for the safe whites. This is NOT what I expected. So, OK, I'm jumping in with both feet. We still have months of work to be completed but I'll stay on Plan 1.

Lyfia, It means a lot that someone else had the same idea. I'm often out on the end of a creative limb and sometimes, my mistakes are pretty bad. On little things, like chair cushions, I'll take that creative leap and learn from it.....but, all the windows our new home. Yikes.

Olivesmom, Funny about decorating around a stove, isn't it?? I'd love a cooker, but not practical for us. Considered very seriously an AGA 6-4 in the dark red or Aubergine. Heartbroken to hear they were discontinued. The AGA cooker is such an icon.

It was here on Gardenweb that I learned that stoves came in colors!!!

A discussion about the safe whites would have been appreciated. But, I received support from everyone!!!! Happy Holidays and heartfelt thanks!

o

In our second home (bought under construction over 30 years ago) I had my family room trim, French doors, and entertainment unit painted cranberry. Also the hallway to bedroom. We had natural grasscloth walls in those areas. This was when Colonial was in. I loved the look! However, now I would not be so bold.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here