Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
botaniphile

Advice for wall decoration?

botaniphile
10 years ago

I need help with this big, boring wall. It's the one to the right, above the couch. I'm renting, so I can't really paint. Maybe a mirror or some art? Can't be too expensive (ideally less than $100) though that might be difficult. Any suggestions?

Trying to get out of my head because I feel like I'm stuck in a matchy mindset.

And here's the wall in all its blank glory:

Comments (12)

• Olychick
    10 years ago

You could do something like this for probably less $than these pieces, but these are pretty reasonable for the size...find some fabric that you love and staple it around some artists' canvas or stretcher frames. I saw one recently that was so great and I knew I should have bookmarked it...

Here is a link that might be useful: Etsy fabric wall art

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

Was going to suggest a wall hanging. But the wrapped canvas suggested is much cleaner to go with your room and very affordable. Fabric choices are wide open for what draws you in for added color and pattern.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I'd head to a store like Christmas Tree Shoppe or Home Goods and take a look. There is affordable art out there and you can get something fairly substantial for that wall.

I like the stretched fabric idea too...I did that to decorate the walls in my basement.

I had a large wall space to fill so I selected some pictures I had taken on our vacations to Fed Ex/Kinkos and had them printed up in black and white and then ordered the frames (with mats) from WalMart. Only $15 each. You could do the same thing with color shots if you want...maybe keep the color way the same, like blue skies or green grasses or whatever.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

Stretched fabric is such a great idea! Somewhat along those lines, if you have a good art supply store where you live, they usually have wonderful assortments of large paper that are works of art themselves. With the frames and/or inexpensive canvas, it seems you can come in within your budget, with minimal effort, and a lot of flexibility.

I wonder how they wrap the fabric around the frame and yet the pattern appears continuous on the surface. Does it mean getting extra fabric and you need to cut for the amount that goes on the sides of the frame?

• botaniphile
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, great ideas, guys. Thanks for the tips!

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

Linelle, I had forgotten about the variety of papers you mentioned. Still have some rolled up for what was going to be used as a lampshade redo. They are a work of art in themselves with a variety of textures and materials used in each sheet.

Looking at your room again...I think something of substance is needed for balance with your seating. Similar to the current throw pillows with deep texture. Perhaps use the leg design as a visual for pattern, framing or metal/wood detailed wall art. Not large or hefty and doesn't need to fill the entire wall.

I like the pottery on the left and it says a lot about your style/interests. Consider staying with their movement, not to match, but reflecting the style. Shop around and something will "call to you" as the pottery did when you chose them.

• graywings123
    10 years ago

My local HomeGoods right now has a large stretched-canvas abstract painting for sale that would look great over a sofa. It is $150.

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

IâÂÂve suggested this to others on a budget before but it seems that some are afraid to give it a go. You canâÂÂt screw up! When you are finished gluing everything on (before your protective top coat is added) if you do not like your composition simply glue something over those parts. Use old magazines, photos or whatever. Maybe see if friends or relatives have old art works they do not like stored in closets or the garageâ¦Collage over that. You can do a group of small ones or a big one.
    Or, buy a canvas. The cost of a 30x40 canvas plus supplies will run you around $35 to $50. You could do it for practically nothing if you collage over an old canvas.
    You will need: scissors, small sponge brush, large sponge brush, and an 8oz container of OmniGel acrylic transfer medium (amazon) or some type of acrylic medium. A canvas or board! Magazines: bigger mags are great and when done do a clear acrylic top coat or two (I like matte or flat). You can wrap the sides with magazine clippings or paint (I did gold metallic).

Glue both the canvas and magazine bit back when applying to canvas.

Try to have your collage tell a story.
    I did this for my son but he didnâÂÂt get âÂÂthe storyâÂÂ. Probably a good thing as while staying with him I know way too much of his love life lol. Make sure all edges are glued well but do not worry if you get some wrinkling as it just adds a texture.

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Fri, Nov 29, 13 at 11:40

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    10 years ago

You can also look at Salvation Army, Goodwill, and other thrift stores. They usually have some large paintings/pictures for much less than $100. You may find just what works in that area.

• juliekcmo
    10 years ago

jerrilynn,

That is SO COOL!

I am putting that on my January list of projects to try.

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

Michaels has a sale right now on canvas...3 for the price of 1. Any size.

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

Thank you Julie, the last and only collage I ever did was fifteen years ago on a poster board while helping my oldest son with a school project. The teacher kept it; I guess he got the ok from son though. I wanted it back. This really is a project that anyone can do and it doesnâÂÂt take a whole lot of time or money. Just make sure to give it a story.