Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ainelane

Will you help me make my bed (look nicer)?

ainelane
9 years ago

Hello,
First time posting in the decorating forum!

I'm hoping you can help me make my bed look nicer and give me some direction for the room overall. I'm very open to hearing what jumps out at you as being ugly/unstylish, I won't be offended as I "decorated" this room many years ago when I knew even less than I do now.

How does one layout the decorative pillows....how many, what shapes? Does the way I have it now look right?
I just bought those 2 knit square pillows but I can't decide if I should keep them or return them.

I was thinking that I could buy a white sheet set (instead of the pale sage green I have now) so you would see white behind the shams. Then add some white throw pillows (either those knit ones or something else white) and then I was thinking of a white faux fur throw for the foot of the bed. Does that sound good or bad?

Other things that can / will be changed:
-Paint colour on walls and ceiling
-Art work
-Lamps
Wish I could get rid of the hulking armoire, but DH won't hear of it.

The paint color I'm thinking of doing is BM 1516 Moon Shadow on the walls. Would a lighter version of that color (BM 1515, Natural Elements) or white go best on the ceiling?
Here are the colors on top of my duvet: (Moon Shadow is on the left)

I like that the room feels a bit dressy / formal and that the colors are calm. I LOVE texture. I'd like to learn how to add a more eclectic or slightly unexpected twist. I want the overall feel to be calm, elegant, collected and a bit sophisticated. But I don't know how to do that!

Any help is so appreciated!

Comments (40)

• juddgirl2
    9 years ago

I think your room already looks very pretty and has the calm, elegant feel that you're looking for. My one suggestion was going to be paint the walls a lighter, gray/green color, similar to your duvet, and then I saw that you already had similar colors picked out!

I recently realized that I don't like too many decorative pillows (after purchasing 3 euro and 2 king sized shams, of course!). So, I got rid of my new euros and now just use the 2 decorative king shams with my sleeping pillows stacked behind, similar to what you have. It's a simpler look and less work putting them on and taking them off for sleeping.

• Catharine442
    9 years ago

I was going to say your room is already nice. I don't think I'd put white things in there but i agree with juddgirl2 that lighter walls would be good.

• ttodd
    9 years ago

It is very pretty already! I would suggest layering the blankets/ quilts similar to this pic (not my home):

I always find a layered bed to be less 'department store' looking. Seems to have more coziness/ holiness to it. The throw that you currently have at the bottom of the bed is too small.

Personally I like a quilt to cover the entire bed (less a nice cuffed sheet showing) and a nice fluffy comforter or duvet folded in thirds at the bottom.

I too have pretty much done away w/ all of the decorative pillows on my bed in lieu of 2 kings w/ 2 standards in front & one long lumbar or bolster in front of that.

Good luck - you're on the right track and your bedding is lovely!

• amykath
    9 years ago

What a lovely, serene and cozy room. I do not think you "need" to do anything. I am a fan of white or off white sheets. I would add something more in size as shown in the two photos Foxes Pad showed.

I do really like the color you chose for your walls (moon shadow). However, I do not think its necessary to change your wall color.

I had a bedroom in my last house I just could not get right. I found an inspiration photo and went from there. I copied everything I liked about it. Of course it wasn't exact, but I wanted to add my own touches as well.

Good luck!

• amykath
    9 years ago

BTW, that first photo TheFoxesPad posted has ALWAYS been one of my favorites!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I really like your wall color! If you want to go lighter and more neutral, I would not go with BM Moonshadow. It looks very sickly green to me. I'd look at BM Edgecomb Gray, or something along those lines, a warm neutral.

Agree w/u re: the armoire.

Edgecomb Gray

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Wed, Nov 5, 14 at 7:48

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I too like the room very much. I can see where a lighter wall color might be nice, but what you have is nice too. What I don't like is somehow the spread seems too small for the bed...I'd want it to cover down to the wood frame on the sides. If it can't, then maybe get a heavier duty/quilted or more finished looking cover for the box spring so it looks more like it's meant to show.

Also the throw at the foot of the bed is too short. Note in the foxespad's photos how the fabrics cover down to the wood frame. What makes bedrooms feel luxurious is lots of fabric so the throw needs to come down the sides too.

To that end, if it were my room, I'd add some window treatments as well to soften the look.

• graywings123
    9 years ago

Welcome to the decorating forum. Enjoy the room as it is - it looks great!

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Your room is absolutely lovely. Your demi lune bedside chests are beautiful and really add to the elegance of your room.

Your bedding is lovely but the topper isn't long enough and the throw at the bottom is too small. Your bedding is so pretty but I like Annie's idea of a quilted or patterned covering for the box spring. I also agree that I would use window treatments to further soften the room.

IMO a lighter paint would look nice but the paint that is currently there is also lovely so you wouldn't have to change it.

Your room will be easy as it will just take some minor tweaks to take it to the next level.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Now, if that were MY room, I'd keep the paint color, the tables, the bed (gorgeous, btw), but I'd 86 the wall-to-wall carpeting, put in some kind of hardwood floor, and get a large patterned carpet for the floor.

I'd then lose the comforter set (never been a fan) and get a natural-color linen duvet to go on a comforter for the warm months, and a nice coverlet for the warmer months.

Can't comment on the decorative pillows because I don't have any because it drives me nuts to have to take them off and put them back on all the time, just for decor in a room I'm not in at all during the day and when I am in it, they're on the floor anyway??? I've never really understood the decorative pillows on beds thing.

I found some absolutely gorgeous rugs for someone who had privately emailed me asking for help with a master bedroom. I can't remember the site, so I'm going to email her and ask her if she still has the info.

• mdrive
    9 years ago

your room is lovely, and i especially like the bedspread! just beautiful....i agree with others that it doesn't quite cover the bed as it should...

one suggestion (something i had to do with a bed topper i purchased that didn't quite reach) was to have an 'edging' trim sewn onto it....i am not a seamstress, so i had it done by a professional...unfortunately i don't have a picture to show, but it turned out very well...we used the same edging material on the window treatment so this gave a really custom look to store bought bedding and window coverings...the link for fringe is pretty formal, but i think something like this would work in your room

you could also customize a trim from fabric you select

Here is a link that might be useful: buillion fringe

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

The room you are starting with is not what most "befores" look like, for sure! Very nice.

I for one am not clear on what you are trying to achieve. The changes seem subtle, and maybe not worth it. Can you show us some photos of what your dream room would look like? That would help.

I would say that, as far as stylish, IMHO pillow placement is changing. There is a move away from too many pillows, and away from pillows at 90 degrees. There is a move toward pillows that are stacked flat and oversized neckrolls. A bit of a cleaner look. Also, less for DH to complain about having to take off the bed in order to sleep.

I also think that use of white bedding is firmly entrenched (and also practical and inepensive). So yes, id get white sheets. Maybe even a white quilt or matelasse, even with your existing bedspread folded at the foot. White and ivory is lovely. I have come to prefer that all beds start with a shock of white, almost like bathrooms start with white a la the sanitary movement. The first thing a bed should say is "impeccably clean fresh white linen". I think its a trend that has come to the home from high end hotels, and if you want to be stylish, IMHO that is one element to copy.

I would rethink the artwork over your bed, unless it is something you have a personal connection with. Maybe something textural? an old prayer rug, a quilt, something wooden or metal or...

I think your lamps are too small and the lamps as well as the shades are a missed opportunity to bring style into the room. eg something like this would be a way to bring in a new style (of course this is only one example of one direction)

In the vein of "...if you give a mouse a cookie...". a bigger lamp will mean a bigger nightstand. I think that may be in order to. And they need not match, though of course they should "go". Matching suites of furniture are not as "in" as they once were.

But i think your first step is to browse online and magazines and find your favorite bedrooms, then figure out what it is that you want to bring to your lovely space!

• amykath
    9 years ago

Here is a thought, you could get a nice neutral (cream or beige etc) quilt and some cream or white sheets. I would fold the comforter at the end of the bed as you currently have the little blanket at the end. Done! ;)

• amykath
    9 years ago

Here is a lovely quilt from Overstock.com at a fabulous price. They have a ton of choices if you do not like this one. I have bought many quilts from them and have always been happy with them. They have reviews so you can see what others think.

I have added the link to this particular quit.

Here is a link that might be useful: Quilt

• Happyladi
    9 years ago

I think your bedroom looks great the way it is. The only thing I notice is that the throw at the bottom of the bed is too small.

• User
    9 years ago

The throw you have st the foot of the bed is too small. It should drape on a chair instead.

I would buy fabulous white sheets from Frette, Porthault or Peacock Alley (my favorite), perhaps tipped in the beige or taupe of the comforter, and make up the bed with the patterned shams in the back and white pillowcased shams in front of them. Fold the comforter in thirds at the bottom of the bed. If you don't like exposed sheets, use a white or cream matelasse coverlet on top of the sheets, folded down with the top edge of the sheet folded down over it.

Schweitzer Linens in NYC has a website with nice sheets, and Tuesday Mornings often sell high top quality sheets very reasonably.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

You may be able to get better coverage on the sides with the bedding you have (which is beautiful, by the way) by turning it sideways, leaving the sheets exposed under the pillow area. Just fold the sheet down to cover the top edge of the comforter. Of course, this won't work as well if yours is a duvet cover with buttons on the end.

I agree with the throw being too small. The paint looks great, not sure a change will improve it! Your before looks much better than many of the afters seen here!

• Lars
    9 years ago

I would cover the small white pillows with silk to add a bit of shine - everything is too matte looking, although I agree with the others that it already looks great, except for the small throw.

Lars

• Karenseb
    9 years ago

I like your room as it, especially the colors and artwork and nightstands. The lamps look great and the scale of the nightstands offset the scale of the bed and chest in a nice way.
    I agree that the comforter is a little too small and it looks like the seam running on either side would keep you from turning it 90 degrees. I really like the comforter in your room. Maybe you can get material added to the sides like Dessert suggested. Otherwise a dust ruffle which seems to have fallen out of style?? or a cover for the box spring would help. I like your pillows.

• ainelane
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all SO much for being so generous with your thoughts and observations.

I have a few follow up questions!
    (I've had to do a bit of research on what all the beddings options mentioned mean and how they go together: coverlet, matelasse, quilt, topper, comforter)

I didn't know the bed cover looked too small, so that's great to know. It's a duvet. So, I can't use the sideways trick that was mentioned by olychick. That leaves me with either having a seamstress add fabric/trim to the sides, like desert_solitaire mentioned or dressing up the box spring cover so it looks more intentional, like several people mentioned.
    How do I do either of those things? Would I buy an actual quilt for the box spring? Or would I be searching for a bed skirt? Would it look nice for the box spring cover to match whatever blanket I layer at the bottom of the bed?

I also don't think I can fold the duvet to sit at the bottom of the bed as it's very thick and would look too puffy. I guess you can only do that trick if you have a comforter or quilt.
    So...since I want to keep the existing duvet cover, I guess that limits my options for the layered look.

I will change to white sheet and pillowcases.

I ADORE the photo that TheFoxesPad posted! It's so inviting with all those layers. I love the faux fur with the tasseled blanket on top. I want to copy that!!

I'm glad so many of you like the existing paint color! Thank you. I'm looking to change it more because of how dark my room is (my whole house actually, due to being in the forest). I thought a lighter color would help with that.

Tibbrix - thanks for your input on the paint color. The Edgecomb Gray looks lovely - I just can't visualize how grey could work in this room. I will go get some paint chips of that and some other warm neutrals.
    I totally agree with you about the rug. That would be gorgeous. Any chance I can put an area rug on top of the wall to wall carpet?

mtnrdredux - I love your idea of bringing in texture through the art work! That's perfect. I will start scanning flea markets and such for something. Great idea!
    And I adore that lamp you posted. I agree that the lamps are a missed opportunity. I will think on that some more to come up with a style direction and then I can post some narrowed down choices.

Violet_west, no I don't have seating in the room. It's really too small to add any! I would love something like you mentioned if I could fit it.

Any further answers on my follow up questions would be so helpful! Thank you again.

• Rudebekia
    9 years ago

I am actually looking for a paint color like your current one! I think it looks great. Could you please tell me what it is?

• amykath
    9 years ago

Maybe just add a sheet to the bottom mattress that is showing due to the lack of length on both sides or a quilt. I think with white sheets it would look better to fold the comforter back and have the white sheet folded with it on top. Use the white pillow case covered pillows in front of the patterned ones. Look around for blankets you like that are longer for the end of your bed.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I actually gave Edgecomb Gray as a suggestion because it's pretty beige, i.e.: warmer than what we usually think of when we think of "gray", and with your furniture, I think you need a warmer color. Of course, I'm with everyone else here in thinking the color you have now is gorgeous. I'm a total advocate for deeper colors.

Of course you can put an area rug on the wall-to-wall. Personally, I don't care for that look, but it's certainly done. However, if you can swing it, I would definitely replace the wall-to-wall with hardwood anyway. IMO it's a smart home improvement anyway.

• ttodd
    9 years ago

Super quick before I start dinner: You can fold the duvet at the bottom of the bed. I do it all of the time. I fold mine in 3rd so that it's easy for me to pull up when I wake too cold and still in a state of half sleep. I usually find that the loft settles and it flattens out. Often to my great sadness as I like big, full, fluffy beds!

Oh, and I love Edgecomb Gray!!!!! I have a corner cupboard in my kitchen that I painted EG & I love it. My favorite is at Christmas time when I hang a small wreath of greens and white roses on it. It's so pretty w/ green so it might be just the ticket for your room in the woods!

This post was edited by TheFoxesPad on Wed, Nov 5, 14 at 16:26

• Arapaho-Rd
    9 years ago

I really find your bedroom quite pleasing as is! To me a change of your wall color is optional, not necessary. Right now your walls, wood furniture generate a very warm feeling and allow the bed cover to stand out. I think the nightstands are beautiful.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

Even though bed skirts have fallen out of favor with some people, there are still beautiful bedrooms shown with fabulous skirts. I think you could easily fix the look of the slightly too small duvet cover by coordinating the right skirt.

Take a look here

Here is a link that might be useful: Houzz bed skirt photos

• User
    9 years ago

"also don't think I can fold the duvet to sit at the bottom of the bed as it's very thick and would look too puffy."

That is how it's supposed to look. I've seen duvets folded in thirds as high as 10" at the foot of the bed. It's a thing.

• ainelane
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Of course, you guys were right.
    I tried folding the duvet at the bottom of the bed and it's way flatter than I thought it would be. I now see that's an option!
    Here's a quick snap of it. It would obviously look way better with white sheets and some sort of blanket or a quilt like was linked to earlier in the thread.

Here is an image I found on Houzz. This room is lovely, although the colors are too strong for me. (Well, it might just be the yellow that I don't like) But what I love is the mix of patterns! And I think I must figure out a way to add some faux fur :)

And many thanks for the education on Edgecomb Grey. I was just reading another thread about it. I will get a sample.

• ainelane
    Original Author
    9 years ago

marita40 -
    I'm sorry I don't know the color that's on my walls. It was painted by the previous owner. Sorry I couldn't be of help.

• amykath
    9 years ago

That looks great! It is a small change but gives your bed so much more interest! I say just buy the white sheets and if necessary, a quilt. You can always add a faux fur throw at the end of the bed.

Do you have a favorite color or something you can pull out of the art above the bed? If so, you can try and incorporate it into the pillows, but I think it is so serene as it is.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Oh, get the real deal. I have two of these pillows in my LR, and I LOVE them. They're real sheepskin. SO soft. Get a couple of these for the bed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sheepskin pillows

• ainelane
    Original Author
    9 years ago

aktillery - you are so kind, thank you for your encouragement!
    The only color I would think of adding would be a very soft green. But I agree with you, the cream and white by itself is so calm feeling.

Tibbrix - Those pillows are so lovely. I've just been on the Restoration Hardware website looking at their faux fur throws and pillows and trying to decide what combo would look good. A friend of mine has real sheepskin throws on her sofa and they are so luxurious.

• amykath
    9 years ago

If you want to save some $$ on the faux fur blanket/throw check out the link below

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Faux Fur Throws

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I'd get the real thing if you can swing it. Faux fur can get pretty icky after a while. My sheepskin pillows are something like 20 years old, and they look and feel like the day I got them.

The other reason for getting real v. faux is that, taux, IMO, is a complete waste of money since they don't have any real practical purpose, just meant to look like something. But real sheepskin is also very warm and breathable, so comfortable on which to rest one's head/body.

• ainelane
    Original Author
    9 years ago

aktillery - thanks for the Overstock link. I've never shopped from them before but I see they ship to Canada, so yay!

On the topic of shopping - does anyone know how to go about finding a tassled throw like the one in this image (that TheFoxesPad had posted up thread).
    It probably costs more than all my bedroom furniture put together. But, I'd love to know how to find something like this. I don't even know the search terms to use.
    It reminds me of some pashmina scarfs that I have. I wish they were bigger :)
    Any ideas?
    Thanks again so much!

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I love that look too Aine. I will keep looking to see if someone comes up with what to search for. I want a throw or another coverlet for the end of my bed.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

I have one very similar, in a very pale green. I got it at ABC Carpet and Home in NYC, albeit maybe 10 yrs ago, if that helps at all. It has a great weight to it and yes, it was expensive. Maybe google "silk tasseled damask throw". Try Frette, Sferra, Peacock Alley, Yves Delormes, Bella Notte and/or places that carry them.

Since the current look is more minimalist, you may be better off having one made. Damask on one side, silk on the other, with tassels. Sometimes called a bedscarf. Even Calico Corners could do that... you might even get lucky with a remnant.

• ainelane
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That explanation and the ideas really help, thank you mtnrdredux. I really like the idea of having one made. I'm going to see what fabric I can find.

If I end up finding anything I will post it here holly-kay! :)

Thanks again!

• j76973
    6 years ago

pretty!