Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oceanna_gw

Woohoo! Hot find!

oceanna
16 years ago

So I'm sitting here reading Craigslist an hour ago, looking for a coffee table for my son for Christmas. He's like me; he loves antiques and antique looking furniture. I ran across this ad, and it turns out the people who have this live only about 10 blocks from me.

The guy was even kind enough to drive it over here and carry it up the steps into my kitchen for me, bless his heart! So here it is in my kitchen.

(If any of you are wondering, I just laid this floor about two weeks ago and it's Novalis vinyl planks from Lowe's. Much to my delight, the guy was astounded to find out it wasn't real wood. Plus, he complimented me on the decorative painting I've done in the house, so how fun is that?)

Here is my hot find:

{{!gwi}}

It's solid oak. Guess what it cost me? Brace yourself...

Eight dollars!!!

It needs some refinishing, which I'll enjoy doing. I already have my sander and my extension cord out. I'll take it out on the deck tomorrow between raindrops (if there is such a thing tomorrow), and it should go pretty fast. In a few days it will look brand new.

Hey, if I can't get the top perfect then I'll stain it darker to replace my own coffee table with it, as I have a big antique oval shaped slab of marble on mine and this one is sturdier than mine. Then I'll just give my antique table to my son (but not for Christmas, just for nothing). The guy couple was happy to get it out of their garage, and me? I'm thrilled. :D

Comments (19)

• threedgrad
    16 years ago

$8? And delivered? Wow! That's lile a Christmas prsent.

What a deal!

• oceanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks! I'm so astonished at my luck! I couldn't believe the price. I went to their house and paid them, and then they followed me home.

Craigslist can be pretty astonishing. I have some things around here I need to list on there. We could all trade our stuff for stuff we like better, huh? As you said, what a deal! lol!

• Valerie Noronha
    16 years ago

Congrats! Don't you just love Craigslist? My DH picked up 2 end tables for us today--only he had to drive over one hour and pay a lot more than you--still we consider it a good deal compared to the antique stores, plus we've met so many nice people through Craigslist. It's great to see these items being reused again.

• oceanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I think this is one of those cases of "sometimes you get the bear." We've all had plenty of those "and sometimes the bear gets you" times. I was thinking I was expecting to pay a LOT more. I'll need to put a little $ and sweat equity into it, but I don't mind.

Yes, I'm falling in love with Craigslist. There are a lot of great bargains to be had there -- far cheaper than new in a store and just as nice as if we had owned them for a while, and in some cases brand new stuff.

Congratulations on your new end tables! What are they like? I'm sure they were a good deal. Got any pics to share with us yet? You must be so excited and I'm really happy for you.

• patricianat
    16 years ago

I am green enough to be a Christmas tree (jealous green) over this great purchase. The delivery fee would have been more than $8.00 Congratulations to you and your son!

• oceanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm so eager about it I already started sanding it right in my kitchen. hehe The sander does at least collect the bulk of the dust.

So far all the high spots have turned more blonde, and I can see I'm going to be sanding on it for a while before I get everything to blend back in. As they blend away I'm still seeing some sense of color change around them, as if they were caused by moisture that got farther outward than was apparent before I sanded. The good news is I don't seem to be going through any veneer (yet).

How perfect does it have to look before I stain it?

I'm a little scared to sand too far. I think the table is solid oak, but maybe there is a veneer on the top to make the pattern of the top of the table look pretty. I'm not sure.

• moonshadow
    16 years ago

Good score!! Very nice! ;)

• cliff_and_joann
    16 years ago

Wow, great find! it's lovely.

Joann

• teeda_2006
    16 years ago

Oceanna, what a find! And to think he actually brought it to you!! I'm addicted to Craig's List as well, and have gotten some great deals. The thing I don't like about it is the sometimes frantic rush to look at something before it gets scooped up--I was back and forth with one seller for over two weeks trying to pin him down to a time for me to look at his item, and then he tells me he went ahead and sold it!! (But the sale fell through so I did end up getting it a month later!)

Also, thanks for sharing the pic of your floor! We are finishing our basement and have just ordered the same flooring (I read about it on this forum). Tell me, how difficult was it to install? How long did it take? Any special tips?

• sheesh
    16 years ago

Beautiful table, but you're right to be worried about sanding too far. When we redid our kitchen, we removed the cabinet doors and stripped and sanded the cabinet frames in place. The frames are solid oak and stripped and sanded beautifully, but the doors....were not. We sanded right through the veneer. The second you sand through, it's too late. I was glad to have new doors made, but I don't know what you would do about a table top.

It seems like you have plenty of experience, though, so I bet you know what you're doing. Have fun!

• skypathway
    16 years ago

What a great story. This table will bring back memories of how nice the original owners.
    Sky

• redbazel
    16 years ago

Cool, cool, deal. Good story. Enjoy your great find!!

Red

• oceanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Teeda my what a story! I'm glad you ended up with the item after all. I was terribly luck with this -- he'd just listed it yesterday evening and was eager to see it gone.

You will LOVE the floor! It's this forum (flooring) that convinced me to try it too. It's super easy to install and just a dream to maintain/keep clean. It doesn't show muddy dog footprints. :-) Even when I thought I hadn't scored the pieces deeply enuf I just snapped them cleanly over the edge of my breadboard. It was very easy to shorten them. Then just peel and stick. Tips are look at the plank before you stick it down to make sure it's not just like the one next to it. And, butt the narrow ends up perfectly aligned. If you get them off-centered just a tad, you start getting gaps between planks and you have to peel back to where you goofed. Do those two things and it's a breeze to install so fast you won't believe it. Oh, and I started next to a wall, not in the center, but suit yourself.

Shermann what a shame about your cabinets! I've been sanding the top and right at the edge I did go through just a hair's width and about 2" long right at the edge-- oops -- but I think you won't see it when I get it stained. If it looks bad I'll just paint the table black. It's a great table (I love the shape) and it deserves to be loved and enjoyed for a long time. It'll stain it next and then evaluate it, but I think it will be okay.

Moonshadow, Cliff and Joan, Skypathway, and Redbazel thank you so much! May you all find something wonderful on Craigslist. :-)

• mustangs81
    16 years ago

Great score! The free delivery is what amazes me. I have been doing some selling of Craigslist, between that and Freecycle, I've trying to rid my closets of way too many decorating items and clothes. I have been a little hesitant with all the stuff in the news about Craigslist of late.

Nice looking floors too.

• livvyandbella
    16 years ago

Great coffee table!

I love the floor. It really doesn't show dog prints? That is what I am looking for. I have 4 dogs and can't keep up with them and the muddy feet.
    Barb

• momfromthenorth
    16 years ago

Oceanna, turn your table over and see if the underside of the top is the same oak. If it is, most likely it's solid. If it's veneered, you should be able to see the edge of the veneer strip from the underside, along the very edge of the table. I would be very surprised if that's veneered because of the way the tabletop is routed at the edges. That's typically not done on a veneered piece.

• mpwdmom
    16 years ago

You have my coffee table! LOL, well almost, only the feet are different. And it IS solid oak and cost me a heck of a lot more than $8, but we've enjoyed it for years and it still looks nice. We bought it at an unpainted furniture store. WTG!

Susan

• oceanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Mustangs it amazed me too. But he only lives a few blocks away. I guess he and his wife took pity on an old lady... lol! Oh oh. What news about Craigslist?

Barb thanks! No, it really doesn't show muddy dog footprints. I have five dogs and live near Seattle, and one of mine is a pup so I'm letting them out very often. Believe me, I know mud! This floor is a dream. It was easy to lay and you can't beat $.98/sq.ft. and not needing an installer.

Sippimom thanks for the advice. I think the bottom is solid and the top is veneered. I finished sanding the top and just stained it this evening. Tomorrow I'm going to put Tung Oil on it to protect it. I hope that's the right thing to do.

Susan you have great taste in coffee tables! ;-) Thanks! I really hope my son loves it. Believe me I'm tempted to keep it, but it's too blonde for my couch, an antique with carved dark wood on it. And it turned out to be too big for my marble slab. This is a big coffee table. I think I'll do some more looking for one for me. My mom and dad left me a big oval slab of marble and it's sitting on my rickety old antique that is missing some carving pieces. I wouldn't mind letting it go. I don't know how it's standing under that weight!

• loribee
    16 years ago

Wonderful find! Pretty flooring, too...

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH