13 years ago

Visit Charley526's original post

{{!gwi}}

Concept sketches

Correcting proportions

Comments (7)

• adh673
    13 years ago

I like the stone or the brown. Not loving TV above fireplace if possible, its too high.

• charley526
    13 years ago

Hi there jey! Thanks for the mock-ups! It is so helpful to see ideas in pics.
    I love the overmantle and the stone facing. But husband won't budge. We have too many other expenses that take priority.
    The crown molding is up and the mantle is being built now. The marble facing has been ordered too.
    The mantle will look like this one:

I just need to decide on the color of the wall now.

• jey_l
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Charley,

What about the color shown in the picture? If you can't hide the TV or something I would try to add some texture to the wall. You can eve get some decent wallpaper that looks like stone or even a traditional pattern of some sort. You can even do something behind the TV and on either side of the speaker to break up the box look. Can you do some sort of swag to hide the speaker and add some depth?

Traditional wall paper

"Bookshelf" wallpaper behind TV. You can also use a window or other type.

Textured paint finish.

Sorry about the colors but the image below is what I was using

{{!gwi}}

SW Rain Storm

SW Hunt Club

I think a swag like this would be preferable but something like the floral would work too. (Style only not pattern)

{{!gwi}}

Are you going to post some pictures when you're done?

Jey

• charley526
    13 years ago

The marble came in & I love it!
    Not much more has been done though, husband has been very busy with work.
    I don't really care for the swag idea. I really wasn't looking for ways to hide the tv & speakers anyway. Just wanted to get ideas on wall color or wallpaper. I am going to wait for the mantle to be finished before I decide on anything. We may end up re-painting the whole room...

Yes, I can post pics when it's done if it helps anyone.
    Thanks again!
    Charley

• justgotabme
    13 years ago

WOW Jey 1, how did you make these mock ups? They are awesome!

• jey_l
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Charley,

I really like the tile you chose. Bummer that you can't get it done as quick as you'd like but on a good note at least it's moving forward and your husband is working.

Although I do think your colors work so far, if you do paint everything I would still do something different on the FP wall. I usually don't like the off-whites and creams (beige if you will), etc., on the walls but what you have has kind of an Italian feel to it. That light fixture, floor color, mantel, drapes, art. It just needs to be finished. I really do think you need to address the edges of the TV box though or it may never look finished even if you paint the wood and wall the same color. Sorry I can't get the colors to look right but I hope they helped give you some ideas (even if only what not to do) and yes pictures when you are done would be great. I see many people looking for fireplace pics and there aren't too many on the FP forum.

justgotabeme,

Thank you. I'm actually not too pleased with them myself and am somewhat embarrassed with the things I've posted on GW.

The program is called ArchiCAD. I haven't upgraded it in quite some time and it doesn't really play well with the newer MacIntel computers. Most of my textures etc don't work with the 64 bit OS and it crashes if I try to save an image from Open GL or something so I have to use the internal renderer LightWorks, which was a half baked implementation. The current version does but I'm retired so have no need to upgrade. My older Mac died this past year and I haven't had the patience to be the winning bidder on ebay to replace it.

The image with the raging inferno was done in C4D which is more current but also more time consuming. While it's rendering capabilities are actually very good and primarily what I used it for it is also a more of a modeling app.

I noticed some of your drawings here and about on some of the forums and was wondering, what are you using and is it your profession or a hobby?

Sorry I didn't reply sooner but was unable to post on GW for a bit.

Thanks
    jey

• charley526
    13 years ago

Wow this forum moves so fast that I never did see your last post jey.I don't know why I'm not getting the email updates :/

You have been very helpful! It's nice to have someplace to go to "toss" ideas around and get professional opinions!

Progress: The mantle is up. Tile will be going up this Wed. (hopefully, if all goes well) The room already looks dramatically different to me! I'll be back soon to post when it's all done, before it's painted to get everyone's opinions.
    Thanks again,
    Charley