Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fillagirl_gw

Too much glass? Side & Coffee Table in LR

fillagirl
10 years ago

Hello, I am in the process of redoing my LR. I have new sofa, new chairs, possible round side tables and possible coffee table. New drapes coming, need new lamps & art on each side of mirror.

My question: The side tables are wood with a mirrored insert on top (see pic) and the coffee table is all glass. I will have a large mirror over the sofa, as the focal point in the room. (Mirror has been darkened with glaze, pic is old)

Do you think the side tables and coffee table will "go together" or do you think there's too much glass/mirror and not enough solid wood surface?

Another question: I will get the side tables sprayed a dark charcoal or black, as the two have different finishes. What do you think of getting a piece of wood cut the size of insert and using the table with both: solid surface & mirrored surface? I really like these tables, esp. how the legs mimic the sofa angles, and haven't found something similar with a solid wood top.

Thanks in advance for your feedback. Any and all suggestions and ideas most welcome.

Close up of side table

Thomasville Stiletto coffee table

Another idea, using 2 mirrors over side tables instead of large one over sofa...

Comments (13)

• ellendi
    10 years ago

Personally, I don't like the idea of a mirror over your sofa.
    Ideally, mirrors should reflect back something of interest.
    For example a view of your backyard that has trees.
    I would do a large picture or a group of smaller pictures.
    And yes, if you do all the things you are thinking about, I think it will be too much glass.

• springroz
    10 years ago

The room needs some "weight", everything is nice, but light. I think a rug would help. I love the coffee table choice. I do not care for it with the side tables, maybe they are a little bit casual.

I would do art on the wall to help add some color and interest to the room.

Nancy

• graywings123
    10 years ago

First to answer your question: I think the the side tables and coffee table will be fine together. I don't see any problem with not enough solid wood surface because you have wood in the end tables.

If I were going to make one change in your room, I would switch out the mirror to a large picture the same size as the mirror. A picture versus the mirror would put personality (hopefully yours) in the room.

If you can't find what you are looking for, you could commission a local artist to paint something - maybe even put it in that lovely frame.

I like the lamps you have now.

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

You have some beautiful things! Yes, a painting up there would look stunning.

• pammyfay
    10 years ago

I don't think there's too much glass (I have a few glass furniture pieces in my living room -- I like the airy look. But last winter, I had to cover the glass Parsons-style dining table because it became just too cold.)

Aside from that, tho: Maybe it was the angle at which your photo was taken, but it looks like that's a low sofa. Have you measured the height of the sofa table compared to that? That's one thing I'd be concerned about -- it could make that sofa table unworkable.

Also, as you sit on the sofa and turn your head toward the end tables, do you see the bulbs shining brightly in your face? I'd be wary of that, even tho I really like the end tables -- everything might just be too high for that sofa.

I also agree that the mirror doesn't do anything for the space because it doesn't reflect anything that you will want to see all the time. Is there a space in your entryway for it?

• fillagirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all your feedback. Sometimes it's good to get another perspective, I hadn't really thought about what the mirror was reflecting.

I will look for a piece or pieces of art for above the sofa. I liked the look of the two mirrors above the end tables, maybe I will try to hang them and take a photo and think about art in the middle....

• Gracie
    10 years ago

I think it will look too crowded with mirrors and a picture over the sofa. It's not a long enough wall to handle three pieces of furniture, three framed wall hangings, and two lamps. I like the look of one piece of art balanced out by the two tall lamps.

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

I agree with mayflower, maybe if those side mirrors were half as wide you could get away with it. But, not sure if it's still too much. You could try a small grouping of pictures...don't know might still be too much.

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Thu, Nov 14, 13 at 13:46

• amykath
    10 years ago

I think adding a rug and and replacing the mirror with a piece of art would be the way to go. I would not add the mirrors behind the lamps.

I LOVE your coffee table!!!! It is gorgeous.

• decordummy_gw
    10 years ago

I think the first mock-up that jterrilynn did is beautiful - I would do something along those lines.

• bbstx
    10 years ago

The coffee table is beautiful!!! When the dust settles and you get your room the way you want it, you might consider making the temperature of the light bulbs match.

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

The mirrorâÂÂsâ¦is it because you want some drama in the room? I love a bit of drama! Not sure if you could scrounge up two of these vintage Curtis Jere floor standing treeâÂÂs but there is one on 1stdibs (probably a fortune) but hey IâÂÂm spending your money not mine lol.

• fillagirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all your feedback. I am going to replace the mirror with some art to start with, and then see what that looks like. I am going to purchase the glass Thomasville coffee table and ask if I can purchase it on 24-48 hr approval, to see what it looks like in the space.

Will keep you updated as I progress, thank you for all your ideas & opinions to date, much appreciated!

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH