Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Most secure way to hang a big coatrack?

At an antique mall I just bought a coatrack. It seems to have been once the top panel of a hall tree. It is quite hefty, solid oak, and 38" long, with 5 big cast iron hooks. I love the hooks!

I need to fasten this to the wall securely. Obviously I need to find the studs behind the drywall. There are no drill holes for hanging, as once it would have been part of a free standing unit. I hate to punch holes in an antique. Though obviously someone had no compunctions about cutting up a hall tree!

I thought of putting some hangers on the back that screw on and have a loop. This is the kind I have in mind:

http://www.baltimorehardware.com/moreinfo.cfm/product/565_64/318-mirror-hangerwire-loop

But, if it's hung on the wall and NOT screwed in, is this an accident waiting to happen? It will be used mostly for guest coats, as our hall closet is tiny and stuffed. I visualize someone lifting their coat off the hook, and accidentally lifting the rack off the screws. Though I could wrap some wire around the loop and screw for added security, assuming I could get a pliers behind it to do that.

Are there any other alternatives? Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (15)

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

Can you remove the actual hooks, drill a couple holes, mount, then add the hooks back? Otherwise, I'd say drill your holes and then fill them with wood filler in as close a color match as possible.

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

I think Annie's solution will work best. We just hung Ikea cabinets.

If you are not good at leveling or installing something so bulky, maybe you want to consider a handyman.

• busybee3
    10 years ago

i think i would bite the bullet and drill some holes through the wood and screw directly into studs... some coats are really heavy so coat hooks carry an awful lot of weight... and then either repair the holes, use wood plugs or use 'decorative' screws that match the piece.

• graywings123
    10 years ago

Another vote for the hangman (Metal french cleat) system that Annie linked to. I am currently using this hardware for a medicine cabinet and a hall coat rack. Solid as can be.

• 4boys2
    10 years ago

I vote for drilling ..

While lifting the coats off the hooks you run the possibility of the rack being lifted off the cleat....

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

Can you tell how it was hung before? I vote for the French cleat. I just bought the one Annie linked and hung my tv on it. Very strong.

• pammyfay
    10 years ago

I've used the Hangman cleats for art -- they don't budge.

Maybe the weight of the coatrack itself negates the frequent pulling up of coats? I'd guess even if the coatrack is fully loaded, there wouldn't be enough give that people grabbing their coats would loosen the cleat's interlock.

(And I will have to remember that it can be used for a TV -- amazing!)

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

That is a gorgeous piece! Please post pictures when you get it hung!

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

I don't think I'd use it for a 50" tv pammyfay, but my 27" is only 15 pounds and I wanted it mounted a certain way that the regular tv mounts couldn't do. Plus, it was a LOT cheaper.

• natesgram
    10 years ago

I like oldbats idea of trying to remove existing hooks and drilling there and replacing.

• fivefootzero
    10 years ago

I would remove the hooks, drill behind into a stud, attach to wall, and then replace the hooks. Best way to get a no-show mount on the wall and at least you know its secure, and won't stick out further than necessary, as a cleat in the back would add some depth. I would want it flush.

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions!

marti8a, it was never hung. There are no holes. I am guessing it was originally part of a hall tree, probably built-in, because I can tell where the verticals for one were once attached. Presumably the rest was too damaged to harvest. The back was literally bristling with nails. I sawed those off first, as I didnâÂÂt want to damage the front by hammered them out back to front.

There are a lot of dings but I am filling and staining them now.

I had not thought about it being completely flush, but the hook method I thought of plus the other methods suggested would not be. IâÂÂd rather not have it move at all. I like the idea of removing 2 of the hooks and drilling the mounting holes behind them. I will have to see if this is feasible with my stud locations.

This post was edited by linnea56 on Thu, Nov 21, 13 at 21:20

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

Definitely the French Cleat, either the metal ones or a full-width wooden one.

All the hardware is in the back and they are incredibly sturdy.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I'm not sure how removing the hooks and bolting underneath would work as, don't you need to get to the back side of the board to put the hooks back on? And if you try to mount with the hooks in place, you can't get to the bolt to tighten it...

Or am I missing something?

-------------------------

NM...I see the hooks screw on from the front...

This post was edited by AnnieDeighnaugh on Fri, Nov 22, 13 at 12:42

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio