mtnrdredux_gw

MiniReveal / BreezyShoutout / GreatWave

mtnrdredux_gw
9 years ago

Happy Thanksgiving!

Stranded by woods on a snowy evening,
I open my laptop for it to wake,
while waiting for my yams to bake.

SO, anyway... here I am, two d/w and one oven. Makes sense for a summer house, not great for Thanksgiving.

I thought I'd post my newly wallpapered DR (the "amime", which is a Japanese word for the open spaces in a fishing net) and my newly framed "poster" avec matching flipflops (a wink to the cognoscenti). I'm very happy with both.

And Breezy, too funny, after all your talk about the chandy height I realized mine is way too high! It is hovering like an alien craft observing us! OMG I can't believe I did not see that. It is 47" off the table! It came with a 24" rod, my electrician here already told me he will cut it and we will prob. make it 30" or so off the able. I knew i didn't like something, but first it was that it had no shades, and I think I just didn't realize! SO, thank you.

Lastly, a before and after. As many know, we bought the house with contents so the table and buffet stayed. Some other pieces were relocated, some donated. We kept all the old china for occasions such as ThxG, though our daily china is the Octopi. Overall, it is much simpler and "cleaner" and we are happy with it. Still might add a few things (the pillows came from a sofa in our office for example) We prefer no rug in part because of the difficulty of moving chairs and the narrow path between the hearth and table ...

Before:

Afters, including, further down, china and our Goodwill turkey in his place of honor!

Comments (33)

• yayagal
    9 years ago

You've done a wonderful job, just lovely.

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

So much better now. The curtains seemed oppressive to me.

• amykath
    9 years ago

I am laughing so hard. I stopped at photo 1 thinking it was the after. I was super confused. I thought "this surely is not her taste."

Then I scrolled down and said "ahhhh, now that is gorgeous!"

You have done a fabulous job. It is beautiful and so warm and welcoming! I bet you are thrilled!!

• pugga
    9 years ago

Love the poem and the room!

• kswl2
    9 years ago

LOVE the fabrics, especially on chairs, and scale of window seat cushion fabric is perfect. Adding the window seat was a great idea, it looks as though it should have been there from the beginning. What a marvelous place to sit and see the ocean!

You certainly lucked out with that china, it is pretty and colorful and can be adapted to almost anything. Agree on lowering that light, but the size and shape and color really are wonderful and it suits your captain's abode perfectly!

Not sure about the flip flops, they kind of read more as apology than irony, iykwim.....they might be funnier on the hearth than the mantel :-)

Happy first Thanksgiving in your new house, and may it be the first of many wonderful holiday memories there!

• Irish2
    9 years ago

It is absolutely wonderful! I LOVE your choices...I just wish I was better at
    expressing myself thru the written word as you and so many posters on
    this GREAT forum are.

• funkyart
    9 years ago

What a great transformation! I agree with Kswl-- the window seat is perfect and looks like it should have been there always. Absolutely love the wallpaper and the chandie. You have achieved that great design that is so perfect it looks effortless.. these are the designs I find to be so very warm and welcoming.

And the view! I can imagine many more holidays and celebrations in this lovely dining space! Have a wonderful day!

• dilly_ny
    9 years ago

Wonderful! Love the window seat. Happy thanksgiving to you and family!

• amj0517
    9 years ago

You have a beautiful transformation. I love it all, but that window seat is calling my name!

• nini804
    9 years ago

Ahhhh....so lovely and charming! The room can breathe now...it has a warm, happy glow. I love the chandy, but do think it is too high, also. You can't really see it very well up that high. Enjoy Thanksgiving in your beautiful home!

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

It looks wonderful! I love the window seat and the wallpaper. Everything is simple and lovely.....enjoy!

• teacats
    9 years ago

Totally utterly wonderful!!! :) Just a magazine-worthy and family-friendly space .....

..... Happiest of Thanksgiving Days .....

• Bunny
    9 years ago

Beautiful, both incarnations of the room. I'm glad you kept some of the old things, and the old house probably is too, keeping alive the memories of its past and the people it knew and sheltered. Happy Thanksgiving!!!

• Laurie
    9 years ago

I LOVE the simple clean look of your beautiful room including no rug & nice fabric choices on the chairs & window seat.
    Enjoy!

• Bethpen
    9 years ago

The window seat looks great. Simplicity works! I hope you and your family are enjoying your time by the sea. You've worked so hard to make it a haven, it's nice to know you are there and enjoying it.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

Fabulous! (Fabulous-er when you get the chandelier lowered)
    Happy Thanksgiving!

• decordummy_gw
    9 years ago

Everything is beautiful!

• voila
    9 years ago

Hope you and your family have (had) a Happy Thanksgiving, with many more to come in your lovely new home by the sea.

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

Just beautiful how the old furniture works in the room. Love the window seat, too.

• Pipdog
    9 years ago

I hope you had a wonderful holiday meal in your new, beautiful space! It's gorgeous!

• Gooster
    9 years ago

It looks wonderful and such a perfect complement to the terrific views. I hope you had a wonderful holiday.

• teeda
    9 years ago

Beautiful! So glad you kept the dining room furniture--it looks like it belongs in that room.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

You have done a lovely job. I especially like the picture looking back toward the living room. What a wonderful house. I know you must have loved being there for Thanksgiving.

• lazydaisynot
    9 years ago

Just wonderful, mtn. As someone who grew up spending large chunks of the year in a much more rustic but equally grand lakeside cabin, it delights me to know that your girls will have this home for parts of each year. I love that you've kept the china for special occasions. The connection to the past imparts some intangible element that seems just right. And it's always a treat to hear your thought processes and see the "after"s of your projects.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lazydaisynot,
    Thank you, Lazy. "The connection to the past imparts some intangible element that seems just right." Yes, exactly. We prefer old homes and we prefer old things. We know a little bit about the history of the family that summered in this home for many years and we liked to keep a link to their happy memories here.

Cyn, Yes, it was lovely. It was also a nice test of all the things I had looked at on floorplans (since we were all inside this time, unlike over the summer). The house worked wonderfully for us.

WMA, Yes, it does. It is rickety and the finish is uneven but we feel it makes the room feel more casual and that's why people feel free to amble in with their cereal bowl or newspaper, etc.

Thank you Gooster, Pipdog, Gscience, Voila, Decordummy, BBstx, Bethpen, Linelle, Teacats, Joanie, Dilly, Yaya, Emmarene, Irish and Funkyart

Laurie,
    We actually went to a Calico Corners looking for an off white duck to recover the side chairs (just your basic lift and staple). They had nothing that would work, I forget why. So we bought the oversized blue and white check. It was not supposed to be something you would see; we have custom made off white duck skirts with ties for all of the chairs. Then we decided we like the check, so the skirts we will just put on for formal occasions.

Nini, Yes, i can't believe I did not realize the darn chandy is way too high until Breezy was worried hers would be too low. I am so glad she posted or I might never have realized why the chandy bugged me.

AMJ, One of DH's 90yo relative spent hours in that windowseat, happy as could be, looking out at the ocean. It's very comfy ... oh and the heat register is right there! If no one ever used it again it was worth it to see her enjoying something so much.

AKTillery,
    Haha. I loved this room when we first looked at the house, but I just wanted it simplified, and better lit! Not much to do really!

Pugga,
    Thank you, I amuse myself. Apologies to Mssr. Frost!

KSWL,
    Thank you! We have a whole closet of that china. We were going to give it away at first but I am glad I saved it; it is the right note for a holiday, and it made for a pretty table.

As for the Great Wave. We just had it framed, and it engendered a lot of discussion. We watched the BBC documentary on it as a family, which is really interesting and I highly recommend. I think this may be part of a series they have on great works of art. As expected, none of our guests on the holiday or brunch the day after recognized the print although one or two knew the genre.
    We interviewed some landscape architects and one knew it right away and commented on it as well as laughed about the flipflops!

Here is a link that might be useful: BBC in re the Great Wave

• eandhl
    9 years ago

Simple perfection!

• breezygirl
    9 years ago

Oh yes, Mtn. That room suffers so from the ungainly chandelier height. How you struggled through your thanksgiving holiday in a room like that I'll never know. Ha ha!! :)

Many thanks for remembering that I wanted to see your chandelier and the sconces. The room is stunning, as I knew it would be. Once the fixture is lowered it will be even that much more beatiful. I enjoy old things also, and your DR is a room I'd be very happy enjoying.

I'm hoping my fixtures ship early this week given the holiday's interruption in business days. I plan to contact the online store tomorrow to check on my order. They don't provide estimated shipping dates at order, or a way to track so I'm crossing my fingers all goes smoothly for install before holiday parties next month. (We also made movement on the fireplace walls dilemma.)

Thank you again for your generosity!

• bbstx
    9 years ago

Thanks for the link to the Hokusai documentary. That was so informative. Interesting that there is no such thing as an "original," that the original work was destroyed in the making of the woodblock.

Did anyone else catch the museum curator flipping through the Mount Fuji suite of Hokusai barehanded? I was shocked he wasn't wearing gloves.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

So nice! I love both wallpapers...the one on the wall, and the view through the windows!

Funny, I think I've seen those napkins somewhere before.
    :) They go beautifully with your plates.

I'm glad you enjoyed your holiday in your new home and safe travels on your return.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Annie, we actually drove home last night after dinner; zero traffic that way. The napkins do go; don't they? I was glad we picked them up!

Bbstx, I am so glad you watched it, i found the story of the print, who made it and why, so interesting. The BBC does such a good job.

Breezy, Thanks. and Good luck with your chandy!

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

Looks lovely! You've got me ebaying china again. The wallpaper is so understated and nautical without being hokey.

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

With views like that, who needs curtains?

I would be very comfortable eating a lovely dinner or a bowl of cereal in that room. You did a fabulous job! I love the wallpaper.

• texanjana
    9 years ago

Such a beautiful space, glad you had a lovely Thanksgiving with your family.