Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Painted Upholstered Furniture!

Posted by nanny2a (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 31, 12 at 23:50

I thought I would start another thread on painted upholstered furniture. It really is much easier than one would expect, and we love the results! One of these chairs was already boasting a new light khaki upholstery, which unfortunately did not mix well with the new khaki colored couch we purchased last month. The other chair, a red plaid, I had not had time to recover, so I painted both of them, and an ottoman, in a cheerful red.

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Painted Upholstered Furniture!

That is so great. Many years ago I painted a chair and later when redoing the decor, SPRAY PAINTED the same chair-it resembled old leather. Kind of felt that way too actually.

Do you use a fabric conditioner? They look really soft.

o

The chairs look great! I've been thinking about trying this. My husband worried that the paint might wear off on someone's clothing. Could you tell me how that has worked out for you?

o

Betteratthelake, the paint does not rub off at all. The fabric feels a little stiffer than original, but that is all. I did use a fabric softener mixed in with water, to spray each section before applying the latex/fabric medium mixture. Each chair got two coats. The plaid chair was a cotton/polyester blend fabric, and that ended up, (after a light sanding with sandpaper), feeling like a soft leather. The other chair had cotton upholstery, and now the fabric feels a little stiffer, but still very comfortable to the touch.

o

An FYI, several years ago on another forum, there was someone who painted her sofa. To avoid the stiffness, she applied 2/3 coats of paste wax, which she said gave a softness to the painted fabric.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here