Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
neetsiepie

Punch list photos (LONG)

neetsiepie
9 years ago

In my punch list help post I described the help I need. Here are some pics so you can get a better idea of what I'm facing.

Start here in the living room (CAVEAT-these rooms are a mess because they're being used for staging areas and will be severely edited once the rooms get put back together)

This shows the mantle to be painted, as well as the brick on the FP. China cabinet, two side chairs and end table and coffee table also will be painted. Oh yeah, the walls in the LR as well as the floor. Chairs will be black with colorful fabric seats & pillows. Tables, FP and mantle white. Considering an ivory color for walls and possibly a very, very light tone of the walls for the ceiling. China cabinet-what color? Aqua is my first choice.

Front on china cabinet. You can see the hall from the LR. Beads are coming off the chandy and I'm adding a beautiful medallian to the ceiling above the chandy.

Dining room on the other side of the LR. These stupid shared walls make me nuts-how to paint them? The DR is going to be painted a deep pumpkin color (you can get a glimpse of the sample on the left). IRL the room is not so ketchupy red, but it DOES need repainting. The blinds in the windows in the DR are similar in color to the bamboo blind in my inspo pic. We are flirting with adding some decorative columns on these common walls, but not stuck on that by any means.

The hideous, circusy hallway was painted years ago before we put in new lighting in that hall. It is dark, even with the directional lighting and some day we'll have recessed lighting installed, but until then we are limited for light. I did the yellow to brighten it up. I think I was on some weird medication at the time.

White door is the new broom closet, and opposite is some more built in storage. Keeping the black shelf & mirror as well as the photo gallery and the book cases.

For this room, I was originally thinking to paint it pale aqua in inspo pic, but now i'm leaning to the same ivory as the LR. Do I paint all the doors white as the trim or ivory as the walls? Do the doors and the door trim have to be the same color? In other words, door trim and door in ivory, door trim in white and door in ivory, or door & trim in white?

And what about the ends of the common walls? What color? Ivory or the white of the rest of the trim, even tho this is wall, not trim?

This doorway leading to the library is framed out with molding, as is the doorway leading to the family room addition. You will notice that the DR and LR and the hall doorway that adjoins them are not trimmed out, they're just plastered and painted the current hall color. I'm standing against the wall between the DR & LR for this shot. Broom closet to the right-that wall is recessed back about 10"

Library/Hall common wall. See what I mean about that stupid common wall edge? I also realized that since I'm going to paint the DR orange, that library wall needs to be changed. So now I'm leaning toward the turquoise for THAT small wall with the cream and orange beyond it. All within the color scheme.

Semi-built ins. We're going to reconfigure them, rearrange the shelves and remove the doors on the unit on the end. The whole thing will be repainted white, and I want to paint the backs-orange? lime green? turquoise? Also-since we're pulling them out to re-do them-should i paint that hideous faux brick behind? Or just leave it, since you really can't see it. Bear in mind the junk on top is being heavily edited (as are the bookshelves), but this room is VERY ecclectic and whimsical.

Not touching the wood panelling. I LOVE it, the patina is amazing. This is the other end of the house-the FR addition. We just finished this room-completely painted, new floors, etc. So it's done. The green colors didn't photograph true, but the accompany the inspiration palette.

Facing farthest north end of house

Turned back looking to front of house.

So-there you have it-my ridiculously eccelectic and hideously colored problem. Remember, this is my color palette I am going to go with and I AM going with the orange for the DR and keeping the turquoise in the LR as the sofa is a shade that compliments the palette. Everything else is paintable.

Comments (6)

• deegw
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

My instinct is to pick the paint color you like best (which is the new green room?) and find one or two colors that will help the eye flow from room to room. I think a bright aqua will just be more of the same and it seems like you are trying to change things up.

• funkyart
    9 years ago

Thank you for sharing photos. I read your last thread but it was hard for me to follow.. the photos help a lot. I am still struggling to see how the rooms all fit together but I see how they are all visible from one another.

I have a much smaller home but I have the same issue with shared, untrimmed walls. I first had the rooms painted different colors-- but it felt so discordant that I had them repainted to carry one color throughout. It was amazing how much that improved the vibe and visual flow of the house-- and it felt bigger and more spacious.

To answer one of your questions, when I did have different colors butting up on an shared, untrimmed wall, I used the color of the primary room (or the one most likely to be flowed FROM) on the end piece.

I know you are absolutely set on the pumpkin for the dining room but do consider that it will break up your expanse of ivory walls-- it will scream. Is that the effect you want in your sea of creamy ivory? Would you consider some great swathes of orange in curtains ,seat covers and accessories for that room? I do love orange and I love that you want to boldly use color but it feels like too much contrast-- not just in color but in style. You have a relaxed eclectic cottage vibe going in much of your house. Your inspiration palette is perfect for that-- but a bold orange room feels much more modern to me. Just a thought.

Love that you are going to paint your fireplace. I have a very similar fireplace and will be painting mine this fall too! I am a little concerned about how much you want to paint in the LR. Will you white wash or paint the floors? I think it's worth considering keeping some of the wood tone in the room.. it will add warmth and continuity as you move to the paneled room. Definitely paint the china cab. It will give it new life! I think I want to see the chairs remain wood-- recover in your new palette-- but I want their warmth. I might also want to see the coffee table as wood.

One other thought on the floors-- I remember that you said they cannot be refinished again. I assume they are not thick enough? When I refinished my floors, my bff (who has a gorgeous home) was instantly jealous. Her floors are beat up and old -- but they have SO much character. I love them and i love how her rugs look on the floors. We spend so much time on here looking at new floors and gorgeous woods I think it skews our thinking. I had to refinish my syrupy orange oak floors- if not because of their color, because of the damage from time, water and carpeting. Do consider whether you can use rugs to add color, texture and character without painting the floors. I think a flat weave or dhurrie style would be lovely with the direction you are going and they can be picked up pretty inexpensively. Again, just a thought.

One more tip on painting. I also have plaster walls with the same texture (that photos seem to emphasize). I used BM aura matte paint on my walls. The matte finish is perfect for these old plaster walls! It hides the imperfections (if you have them) and it hides that goose pimple texture. I love love love the matte finish and wouldn't use anything else.

Yes-- paint the faux brick. Use a good primer to make sure it sticks.

Again, I love your palette and I think it's a great direction for your style. My final thought is-- are you willing to reconsider your plan for ivory walls? I definitely think light and airy is a good direction but is ivory too stark? I love your green in the family room addition. There is a wonderful range of light grays and colors that lean aqua, blue, green. I so wish you lived on the east coast because I'd give you access to my basement full of sample cans. Two friends have repainted their homes based on my samples lol. A few that come to mind may not be quite light enough for you but they are lovely-- the first is SW Oyster Bay. My bff painted used it in her living room and it is easily my favorite color for a wall. I do think it's a little darker than you want to go but it's definitely in your palette (and looks great with ivories, oranges, greens). I have BM Gray Owl in my bedroom and while it leans green-blue it is ever so delicate and ephemeral. It looks great with orange, aquas, pale greens and dark turquoise. A little more neutral with a hint of green is Ancient Marble. You can try your colors (or stick with ivory) but as I imagine your plan in my mind's eye, I want to see a hint of color in the walls. Just a hint.. just enough to be enchanting.

Good luck with your projects-- you have an aggressive plan but it is going to look great when it is done! Think how fun it will be to watch each room inch towards your vision!

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    9 years ago

just wanted to say, your giggle hallway makes me smile broadly! I love the pictures and it does make me giggle. Kitties in a circle

• edeevee
    9 years ago

Hi Pesky,

Feel free to ignore my advice; I'm not the greatest decorator in the world. I am pretty good at reading people though -- and that's where my suggestions come from.

There used to be a decorator who came around here pretty regularly. Whenever I start to think about doing a room, I try to fix his advice in my mind. He said, "Decorate for the life you really have, not the life you wish you had."

I don't think you will be happy with the results if you follow through with your plan.

It is obvious that you are an enthusiastic decorator. Stuff speaks to you and you have a lot of really neat things. I think you will have a tough time editing your possessions "severely". Even if you manage that, I'm betting you'll fill the rooms up again very quickly.

You would be better off acknowledging that about yourself. Pick a color. You like the paint in the livingroom and you say it goes with your proposed palette. Why not use it on all the walls except the wood paneling? Or if you really crave more than one color, choose others from the same strip.

Just keep them all close to the same light neutral.

Then you can keep a lot more of your cool stuff. And it won't get lost in all that strong wall color. Instead, when people come to your home they will be better able to appreciate each piece and its emotional impact.

You can still bring in all those other colors you love, just in smaller doses - in window treatments, in the furniture you want to paint, in pillows.

Because really, are you seriously going to be able to toss that roman bust, the Humpty Dumpty cookie jar, the giggle sign or ANY of the cats?

Your place is fun. You can keep it that way AND have a cohesive look too, but you gotta sacrifice something.

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

I agree with absolutely everything Edeevee said! I think your personality really shows in the rooms and that’s good…but, although I now really want to know you because you seem so full of life and FABOULAS I wouldn’t want your rooms to overtake the person that you are. I would like to see them as more of a build-up or suspense to your character.

• neetsiepie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ooh-thanks for your suggestions! I am tweaking my plans just a bit. Picked up some turqoise for the wall of the library (it was orange). It's just a tiny bit of color that shows, so it's mostly an accent. Going to go with the orange for the backs of the bookcases. In fact, we're doing that today!

Have reconsidered painting the hallway in a color-might go with the same neutral-ish color as the living room. Definitely keeping with the orange for the DR-I was leaning toward the neutral, but DH is pretty adamant that he wants the color in there.

The floor in the front room is beyond repair-it would need to be replaced and that's just not in the budget any time soon. When we bought the place every room but the baths & kitchen were carpeted. A leak in one of the bedrooms (the fridge was on the other side of the wall) led us to tearing up the carpet in that room and discovered the floor in relatively great shape. I say relatively, as they'd glued down some indoor/outdoor carpet some time in the 60's, so we had a lot of fun scraping that foam backing off the floors. We figured the LR floor would be in similar shape, so a couple years later when we pulled up that carpet we were in for a surprise-the glued down rug extended only about 3 feet into the room-from the front door out-then a different type of I/D carpet about a foot wide was NAILED to the floor-then bare floor. But it was gouged, ancient pet stains and too many other issues to save it, So unless we recarpet (not as long as we have furry animals) it's going to be painted. When the time to resell comes, we'll carpet that room-it's the formal LR anyway-and who knows, by the time we get that far, we may have already remodeled and turned it in to a great room or something.

So-that floor will get painted, I have a gorgeous persian style wool rug I use in there, so that's not a problem. Paint colors will go with the rug-much better than the wall color it currently is!

Biggest question, however, is what to do about the doors in the hall? Do they get wall color or trim color? If it were just the two bedroom doors, I'd probably go with the trim color, but those utility closet doors-they're right in the middle of the room.

A lot of the goodies will stay-I LOVE the Giggle sign and of course, my cat and dog art are staying. As is the bust-she's a fave. But there are a lot of tiny things you can't see well that just have to go. My late MIL brought over so much stuff and I felt an obligation to hang on to a lot of it. I NEED to get rid of it-this house gets so dusty and I have way too much. My desire is to be able to rotate things in and out. You wouldn't believe how much stuff I took out when we redid the family room!

I know I have MY dream house in mind, but I also have to be cognizant that I live with four dogs and 3 cats and a hoarder, ADD riddled husband, so I won't have the dream house. Some day I'll get grandchildren and I want them to be able to have fun in our house too-not be one where they can't be free to imagine & dream. Hopefully can post pics of the redone library this weekend.

Sponsored
Jewel Marie Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Luxury Interior Design Services | Northern Virginia