Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tmnca

Choosing fireplace doors/screen

Tmnca
11 years ago

Next project is our fireplace! Here it is now, with mantle shelf installed. I have black matte stove paint I will paint the box and the log rack with to freshen them up.

{{gwi:1385951}}

Clearer picture with flash at night unfortunately it makes the colors look garish but you can see the opening better.

{{!gwi}}

I want to replace the existing mesh doors with doors - either mesh screen doors or glass doors. I am not sure what will look better with this fireplace, here are some options I am looking at - budget is around $250 but also looking at CL for re-useable doors, the ones sold there are mostly bifold brass and I would paint the brass black.

It has to be a solid flat-fitting screen or door, because I don't want my cats to try and explore the chimney (ie no freestanding screens).

What do you think of the following (all in my price range), or do you have other suggestions that might fit our budget?

Screen 1

Screen 2

Screen 3 - available in black this color would likely clash with tile

Glass Door

Comments (5)

• funkyart
    11 years ago

I really like the simplicity of the glass door. I fear all of the others will compete for attention with your mantel and painting. I received a fireplace screen for a housewarming present-- it was too high and has a lot of scroll designs. I've used it because they spent a long time finding a screen they thought I'd like.. but it just doesnt work well.

• teacats
    11 years ago

A vote for the glass doors!

• dedtired
    11 years ago

Glass doors are always a good idea. Presuming you use your fp in the evening, you have to leave the flue open all night as the embers die down. This sucks a lot of the heat in your house up the chimney. By closing the glass doors you prevent heat loss. I think the best system is one with a mesh screen to prevent hot embers from jumping out onto the floor and rug, and also a glass door to prevent heat loss.

Aesthetically, I like the glass doors best. Good luck with your choice.

• wagnerpe
    11 years ago

I like either the glass doors or screen #1 if you don't want glass. I agree that the glass doors are the better option for energy efficiency, but you really should also have a screen/mesh to contain the sparks when the doors are open. Can you retain your mesh screen and put the glass door option on top, keeping the screen drawn open when not in use if you don't like the look?

I recently painted my black and shiny brass fireplace doors and am so pleased with the final outcome. I absolutely would not discount CL brass doors if they are either cheaper, nicer quality and/or come with screen doors. Mine was so easy to paint.

• Tmnca
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I should mention that we won't likely be actually burning wood in there. I am very allergic to smoke, and we are in California - the few days chilly enough to want a fire are often cool, still days and become "spare the air" bans and we are not allowed to burn wood on those days!

We are going to try out clean-burning gel fuel cans in a ceramic log set.

So sparks are not really an issue, nor is heat loss up the fireplace (we keep windows open almost year round anyway).

However it does seem like the glass doors would be nice and simple - and also keep the cats from wanting to explore the area!

I have been contemplating re-tiling the surround, but I don't really know what kind of tile would suit the space. I have been looking at lots of great fireplace makeovers where they actually just put new tile over the old. Marble or granite I just can't picture there. Any suggestions on that front?

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County