Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
1nonlyj

Who has a wool rug in their bathroom?

IdaClaire
12 years ago

And how has it held up? I'm considering something like this (maybe not this very one - haven't decided yet):

in my small bathroom, which I'm currently redecorating. I just don't care for the look of a regular ol' bathmat, but feel like I want something on the floor. This will get stepped on coming directly out of the shower so will get a bit wet. That said, we have a wool mat at our front door and it's seen years of wet shoes, even occasionally getting slushy from ice tracked in during winter storms, and it's held up beautifully. Could I expect the same kind of performance from a wool rug in my bathroom?

Comments (31)

• OrchidOCD
    12 years ago

I do, in two of my bathrooms (reversible cotton rugs in the other.) IME, wool holds up very well in a bathroom, because it's naturally water-resistant and also repels staining so is easy to spot clean. But, that same water resistance means it doesn't absorb water from wet feet the way cotton does, the water is more likely to absorb just a bit and then evaporate from the surface, whereas cotton will absorb a lot of water and then dry out. I love the soft feel of the wool on shower-wet feet - just feels luxurious and pampering!

• User
    12 years ago

I have a large Oriental rug in our master bath. Has been there for 6 yrs now and still fine. Doesn't get soaked but does get damp feet on it. No problem so far. c

• busybee3
    12 years ago

i have 3 wool rugs in our master bath... a small one outside of shower, a runner in front of vanity, and a 4x6 one by the tub...i got them at ballard, so they look nice, but were inexpensive. i love them! they feel great in the bathroom! my only complaint is that the runner (which we stand on the most) is 'shedding' some... never had a rug do that. it easily just vacuums up, but i wonder how well it will last...???

• Michael
    12 years ago

We've had wool rugs in our bathrooms for years. They are a nicer, warmer greeting to feet than is cold, hard ceramic tile.

We recently repainted and redecorated the MB and converted to plush microfiber rugs. NOT THE SAME! The wife is on a search for more wool rugs to compliment the decor.

(Ben, our cat, inherited the old wool rugs and he loves to snuggle up on them and nap.)

• jejvtr
    12 years ago

Another wool rug owner/lover - We have small one in hall bath instead of cotton or synthetic type- To me the qualities - look, feel, longevity far outweigh the others

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks so much for confirming what I thought to be true. I'll be searching in earnest for a wool rug for my bathroom now.

• Michael
    12 years ago

Jen,

Try addarug.com. They have wool rugs for every decor.

• tuesday_2008
    12 years ago

I would love to use a nice wool rug in my bathroom - but how do you clean them? My floors get sticky with hairspray overspray - now sure how that would work with a wool rug.

Have always used machine washable.

• tuesday_2008
    12 years ago

I forgot Auntjen - I love the color of the rug you posted. Care to share your source, etc.

Tuesday

• Michael
    12 years ago

I can't answer that because we don't use hairspray products. Regular vacuuming keeps them clean most of the year. We wash them twice a year, or if something spills on them.

Using a hand-held shower head, we wet them down in the tub. Gently scrub with a soft upholstery brush, using 1/4 cup Charlies Soap to 1 gallon warm water. Rinse well, about three times, and hang to dry.

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Tuesday, the rug above is from Homedecorators.com. :-)

• Valerie Noronha
    12 years ago

Another wool rug lover. I have them in two of my bathrooms and so far they are holding up great. They are both fairly inexpensive, though, and I bought from Overstock.

• User
    12 years ago

Really? I wash my bath mats every week in the washing machine. Can't imagine having a wool rug that can't be machine washed. There's just no way I would ever wash it in the tub (much too lazy for that!). Would love the look though. Interesting...

• natal
    12 years ago

Love the way they look, but I'm in the "have to be able to wash them" camp. Same with kitchen rugs.

• Fun2BHere
    12 years ago

My friend uses a hand-knotted wool rug in her kitchen by the stove. When it gets dirty, she takes it outside and cleans it with a brush and the hose. I don't know if a tufted rug would hold up to that sort of treatment.

• barbarajon
    12 years ago

I have a large woolen rug in both my bathrooms, and they are holding up just fine. I make sure that I put them out in the sun whenever possible so that they can last a little longer and can be used for more time. You can absolutely use those wool rugs for sure, I say!

• lotusgreen
    11 years ago

I don't know if anyone is still reading this, but I have been contemplating getting this rug for my bathroom but didn't know how wool would work. Thank you for this discussion because it has been very helpful. I just bought it on ebay! -- Yay!

• Olychick
    11 years ago

that is one gorgeous rug. Enjoy!

• pirula
    11 years ago

I have a wool chain stitch rug that I bought in New Delhi in1993 and has been in our master bathroom for 7 years. I can and have washed it in gentle cycle a few times, no dryer of course. It does beautifully. We do dry off in shower so no puddles form on it. But I suspect it could handle that too.

• Boopadaboo
    11 years ago

I love those Nichols rugs! Gorgeous.

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

I have a wool oriental rug (not a particularly valuable one) in the bathroom, and I vacuum it regularly, and send it out to be washed once a year.

• lotusgreen
    11 years ago

Thanks, olychick & boopabadoo! Yeah, I love them too. What sold me, besides this discussion, was putting the picture on my laptop's screen & carrying it to the bathroom so I could really see colors & size.

• lala girl
    11 years ago

we a wool rug in the MB too and have found it really easy to vacuum and care for so I say go for it - ours is a low pile rug from Garnett Hill, it has held up well and was pretty cheap!

• WarrenShannon
    11 years ago

Wool is the best carpet fiber in the carpet industry. It is robust, flexible and as soft as your favorite sweater. If you choose to buy wool rug for your bathroom, you will need to take extra care to protect it.

• joyful_lady
    8 years ago

Thank you. I read somewhere else that wool should not be used in the bathroom due to high humidity but I did not like that answer. I am glad I kept looking. I don't think I'd use it in a small bathroom where it was near the commode but our master bath commode is separate and the main bathroom is as large as some bedrooms in other houses I've owned.

I'm going to go for it.

• erinsean
    8 years ago

I like the idea of a wool rug in a bathroom...but the way our bathroom is situated, the rug would be near the commode and with two grandsons and three grown men, not sure a wool rug would be smart. I have to have something that can be put in the washing machine.

• Rudebekia
    8 years ago

I have wool rugs in both my bathroom and kitchen and love the look. But it is only me here so I'm careful with them. On another note, responding to one of the posters above, I stopped using hairspray years ago after realizing how much damage it does to everything cleaning-wise as well as health-wise and hair-wise. The sticky goo just gets onto everything! If you are a long-time user it may seem radical to stop using it but there are now plenty of other products out there now that work just as well if not better. I use a product from Aveda that holds my unruly hair in place much better than hairspray ever did, with lots of shine to boot. Just sayin'

• Errant_gw
    8 years ago

I read through this thread when it popped back up. Bad idea, because it jinxed me! I've never had an issue with the wool rug in my bath, and all of a sudden the cat puked on it. As if that weren't bad enough, SO decided to clean it with his toothpaste. Blue toothpaste! I was eventually able to remove the blue toothpaste stain, but my rug will never be the same.

• rafe1406
    3 years ago

Sorry for commenting on an 8 year old thread but when people refer to wool rugs, would the same be true for a handknotted wool rug? I am redoing my bath in a turkish hammam theme and am considering a small hand knotted turkish rug outside the shower. Any one have any feedback if they have done similar?

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I would recommend you not resurrect an old thread for the sole purpose of spamming us. Jeez.