Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mydreamhomeideas

What dining table shape do I need?

mydreamhomeideas
9 years ago

Here is our floor plan. At the moment I have a 48 inch round glass and wrought iron table with 4 chairs in my Formal Dining room but I just don't like it and would like to go with something a little more formal looking. Obviously I can't go very big but I'd like to seat 6 people. Any thoughts?

Comments (12)

• amykath
    9 years ago

I did some mockups and you could do either. Round would allow for a bit more room. However, it depends on the size of chairs you are wanting. Let me know and I can do a mockup for you.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

An oval might be nice and it looks like you'd have room to expand it into the great room should you need to serve more people.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

You can probably do a 54" diameter table with a leaf or two in order to accommodate guests if required, but that room shape is dictating a round table to begin with.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I agree with Beverly that the room shape calls for a round table. You could also go square with a leaf or two, to allow you to seat 6 when needed.

• mydreamhomeideas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It does seem that round is best but I think the oval at least looks a little more formal. I'm trying to go with French country in my house so I am on the hunt for something nice and unique on Craigslist that would work but I want it to also fit the space and not just fit because of the style alone. I tend to shove a square peg in a round hole when I see something I love and want to buy and I'm trying really hard not to do that. This house is just not my style at all, super traditional looking with red brick and white trim and I'm trying to add some "me" in here and so far it hasn't worked until I came up with the French country twist. I think that could work. We shall see. Thanks for your help and LOVE the mockups!!

• beachpea3
    9 years ago

The oval or the round would work with your French Country look - either stained or painted.

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

Oval or round double pedestal and extra leafs. You could expand and have more options for comfortable seating where legs won't get in the way and the double pedestal will keep it solid for expansion.

• teacats
    9 years ago

Here is a table from PB -- just for measurements and discussion ....

I guess the choice would depend if the OP chose dining chairs that could fit under the table??

Just a thought! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: PB -- extending dining table -- just for measurments

• mydreamhomeideas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You think this would be too small for the space? 42x42 round or 42x60 with leaf.

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

If you go with a double pedestal and at least two leafâÂÂs you will have more options. I wouldnâÂÂt buy a single pedestal without seeing it in person with a leaf or two inserted. That way, you can lean on the ends to see if it goes wiggly wabbly.

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Tue, Oct 7, 14 at 16:31

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

42" round is a bit too small.

Saw this 48" round table in person and it could be a good transitional piece for your home.

Here is a link that might be useful: dining table

• mydreamhomeideas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh yes - much better! I remember having a single pedestal base a long while back and with the leaf in it was always so wobbly. I'll try and find something like that (beverly27) for sure. Thanks, you guys!