Return to the Home Decorating Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
reupholstering duncan phyfe style dining chair

Posted by loreebee001 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 20, 11 at 23:04

Need some ideas and input on reupholstering these dining chairs for my husbands mom. The fabric wraps around the front and i am worried that the foam will get too thick there and look funny/hit you in the wrong place on the back of your leg. They have been redone sometime in the past and have virtually no padding, they are very uncomfortable. I was thinking of using 1 or 1 1/2 inch high density foam. I think that it will just be to bulkey as it wraps under. Should I taper the foam?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: reupholstering duncan phyfe style dining chair

Taper the foam, an electric knife works well for that.....or wrap first in muslin....pulled tightly to compress the foam at the front. Then cover with your upholstery fabric.

o
RE: reupholstering duncan phyfe style dining chair

Do you have a picture of the chairs, or something similar? I just finished reupholstering a set of shieldback dining chairs for my dining room; I bought them from an antique dealer at a local flea market because I fell in love with their lines, but like your MIL's chairs, they were hard and uncomfortable. I removed all of the stuffing and prior upholstery (taking it down to the bare wood seat), added 2" high density foam, and covered that with batting and fabric. I probably should have used 1.5 inch foam but the fabric stores in my area only had 1 and 2" in the foam that I wanted. The thickness of the foam, paired with the shape of the chairs and the stiffness of my upholstery fabric caused me to have trouble pulling the corners taut; so I had to fold & crease the corners (I've never had that problem recovering prior dining chairs), which annoys me because it makes them look less professional.

Like Lindac suggets, the electric knife worked well to cut and shape the foam. The front of my chairs curves, like a bowfront chest, so I traced that shape onto my foam (using the bare wood of the seat base), then used the electric knife to cut in the curve. The electric knife was key; the foam was too thick to cut the shape with scissors, and my utility knife gave me uneven edges. Once I switched to the electric knife it was smooth sailing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here