Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kam76

update this built in ironing board cabinet

kam76
10 years ago

So I have this in wall ironing board cabinet with brown yellow and kind of creamy with a hint of lavender glass in it. The wood is a pretty blah brown. I want to update it a bit. Not sure if I should try to stain the wood a little darker and get a new knob or if I should paint it? If so what color? This is going in my master walk in closet with medium brown wood floors and probably some type of white walls. Any suggestions? I don't know how old it is but it is toatally giving me a 1970's vibe and in not a good way.

Comments (13)

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

That's pretty KAM76. I think it would look very pretty stained walnut. Though if it's going in a closet I'm not sure I'd take the time to refinish or paint it. I looks like maple from your photo. Not allot of grain.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I'd paint it to match the wall...the glass has enough white in it that it should work.

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

If it's just going to be on the wall by itself, I'd agree with painting it to match the wall. It's very pretty. I've never seen one with stained glass.

• Oakley
    10 years ago

If that was my cabinet I'd paint it a very dark goldish/yellow or white and put it in the living room. It's way too pretty for the closet.

Put shelves in the spot where the cabinet went, or lean the ironing board there.

I don't seen anything 70's about it. Besides, it more fun to iron while watching TV instead of ironing inside a closet. :)

• Vertise
    10 years ago

From your description of 70's in a not so good way, I'm not sure if you actually like the cabinet or not. If not, you could remove the glass and gather some fabric in there. More bedroom like. You could use the stained glass elsewhere, like in a window or something. Otherwise, I think I'd paint it.

• kam76
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I do like it. I would like to use it as is as it is unusual and I can't imagine where I would hang the stained glass separately anyway- doesn't go with the rest of my decor that well. I think the yellowish brown pebbly looking glass flanking the diamond shaped piece reminds me too much of my parents sidelights in their front door of their 1970's ranch. I'd like to update it so it isn't screaming 70's yellow and brown I guess. The other place I was thinking of putting it was in my sewing room and then I could go with a really fun color maybe. I am glad to know people think I could get away with painting it white/wall color as that was my original thought. I am trying to be brave enough to paint it a fun color. I'd like to paint it b/f it is hung in the wall as I think it would be easier that way.

• lascatx
    10 years ago

All of those are improvements, but I was picturing lighter, softer colors -- more like your creamy white but with more color in the yellow, lavendar or even the grey. Bird's egg colors? Or do you want/need strong color for the room?

• kam76
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh no I don't need stronger colors. I am just horrible at picking colors (I just used the color dropper tool to pick a color from the picture) and my skills in photoshop are very lacking so I am sure that doesn't help.

I definitely prefer the "birds eggs" colors, do you think they go with the stained glass though?

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

Is there a reason you have to redo this kam76? Since it's going to be in a closet I personally wouldn't worry about it. Nothing you do will change the colors of the glass therefore it will only look as though you attempted to update something and stopped part way through since you'll be leaving the glass and there's no way to change the glass colors.

• Fori
    10 years ago

I think I like it in a loud fun color for the sewing room. You could even stick an actual ironing board in it!

I like that blueish purple you have there. Just stay away from anything drab or brown or you're back in the 70s.

I know what you're saying about the 70s vibe. It's got it, alright, but it is good 70s!

• kam76
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It does have an ironing board in it. If I could make it look fun I'd like to not hide it in my closet. I just don't want it to look like I tried to update and failed you know? Someone on here posted about a paint that could be used on Glass and she used it to change the color on a stained glass lamp. I wonder if that could work here. With the yellow I could really probably only go green or orange right? Don't know that orange would be an improvement. The green might work ....

• kam76
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It does have an ironing board in it. If I could make it look fun I'd like to not hide it in my closet. I just don't want it to look like I tried to update and failed you know? Someone on here posted about a paint that could be used on Glass and she used it to change the color on a stained glass lamp. I wonder if that could work here. With the yellow I could really probably only go green or orange right? Don't know that orange would be an improvement. The green might work ....

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH