Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karoloke_gw

Anyone have a custom made Basset, Henredon or Sherrill sofa?

karoloke
12 years ago

I'm thinking about replacing family room furniture pretty soon. I saw that Bassett has a program where you pick the frame,cushion, arm, fabric, foot/skirt etc. Another furniture store I visited had a similar programs through Henredon and Sherrill. Just wondered if anyone has had a couch custom made through one of these manufactures and if you were happy with the result. I'm a little reluctant because I know someone who had a couch custom made years ago and hated it when she got it, so she has advised me not to have one custom made. Also, what do you know about the quality of Bassett and/or Henredon or Sherrill upholstry?

Comments (41)

• allison0704
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I have a Henredon sofa. It's very well made, very comfortable. It's approx 3 years old and still looks brand new.

fyi, some manufacturers allow you to use fabric from another (sister) manufacturer, so if you don't find the perfect fabric in their line, ask the sales person.

We have a few leather chairs by Sherrill. They are also well made.

When you pick out the fabric, hold it up to the light. The less light you can see through the fabric, the better the fabric will wear.

Here is a link that might be useful: great room sofa

• lauren0319
    12 years ago

I have a custom Sherrill sofa.... I paid about $2500 for it 4 years ago and sadly, I don't love it. I don't love MY choice in upholstery (my fault) and I really don't think it has held up all that well... and it really hasn't gotten a ton of use.

• totallyconfused
    12 years ago

We bought a Bassett sofa about 12 years ago (not custom made, but we were able to select from a huge number of fabrics) and it was the worst sofa we ever had. The semi-attached back cushions were always lumpy. The seat cushions flattened to nothing and had indentations where people regularly sat within 6 months. The fabric wore badly, but I blame myself for that. I didn't know much about upholstry fabric and have since learned that my choice was a bad one for a sofa that would get as much use as ours did. I think we only used it about 5 years before it got sent to the basement. I don't know if this is indicative of the quality of all of Bassett's upholstered pieces, but I'm not going to buy any more to find out.

Totally Confused

• InteriorStylist
    12 years ago

I worked for Bassett, & think it's very good quality in it's price point. Stay with the Custom program though. I always recommend loose back cushions to get the most life out of them. The backs are channelled, so you should not get lumpiness or extreme sagging. There are 700 fabrics to choose from & of course not all of them are appropriate for base fabrics. In general, polyesters are your best choice for base fabrics. If you go on their website, it details their construction.

~Jeana

• doonie
    12 years ago

I have a Sherrill sofa with a chenille type fabric and down cushions. I still love it. The quality is very good.

I also have a Basset loveseat and chair in the basement. I chose 2 different fabrics, neither of which has held up great. I was most disappointed in the cushions, they have flattened and look awful. I can hardly wait to get rid of them!

• treasuretheday
    12 years ago

We ordered a Henredon sofa from their custom Fireside line for our family room. We've only had it a few months but it seems to be great quality. The delivery guys said it was the heaviest sofa they'd ever moved!

I loved being able to choose the base, arms, cushion styles, etc. There were 100's and 100's of fabrics to choose from but I was shocked at how many of them were mostly rayon! I ultimately found one that I liked and I think will wear very well... especially since my older lab loves the couch too and it stays covered by a comforter much of the time! *sigh*

• Sophie Ingerslew
    12 years ago

I have two Bassett sofas that were custom. We bought the originals in 2002? The fabric on them did not wear well - the weave was somewhat loose. We bought the extended service plan which was totally worth it. Let's just say that with stomach viruses and potty training we needed some cushions replaced. The original fabric was discontinued which meant that we got a whole new sofa. This time we made sure we got better wearing fabric - had to invest some of our money into it. The new fabric has a tighter weave and after 5 years has worn much better - not perfect but better. These sofas are extremely comfortable - I've gotten compliments on their comfort from my MIL, friends ..etc. They are not lumpy at all and have held their shape extremely well. I would defintely recommend them.

• karoloke
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks so much for all of your responses!

Allison, the pictures of your home are beautiful, and your sofa looks very nice! Thanks for the tip about holding the fabric up to the light. I wish all these manufacturers would give a wearability rating. I've seen some manufacturers that do, and have found that sometimes ones that look like they'd wear well actually wouldn't and vice versa.

Lauren, that's too bad you don't love what you chose. Was it because your fabric didn't hold up well, or didn't you like the way it looked after you saw it made up?

Totally confused, your experience makes me leary of buying one from Bassett. But maybe they have gotten better in recent years.

Interior stylist, why do you recommend staying with the custom program? Are the custom sofas better quality than the others? On the sofa's I've owned, the fabric and piping always seems to wear out first. Do Basset's fabrics hold up well?

Doonie, I've heard Sherrill was good quality, and didn't expect Basset to be in the same league. Your experience seems to prove that to be true.

Treasure the day, glad to know you love your Henredon. I've heard they were very good.

Southernfrenchie, sounds like Basset may have gotten better and may be fine if I pick a fabric that wears well. Glad to hear it is comfortable and has held up well.

I'm still in the looking stages. It would be nice to just find one already made up that I love, but that hasn't been the case yet. Today I was looking at a Bernhardt leather one and was comparing it to a Basset leather one. I'm not decisive when it comes to decorating!

• InteriorStylist
    12 years ago

Bassett's Custom Program is made in NC. Like almost every other manufacturer, a lot of their other sofas in other collections are made in China or elsewhere to satisfy a price point. The custom program is truly custom, choosing the scale first, then the arm style, T-cushion or full front, choice of legs or skirt, choice of leg finish, back style, loose or semi-attached backs (almost every other collection has semi-attached only), fabric choice of course, a beefier frame (lifetime warranty), choice of standard, blenddown, spring down or firm cushions, 8 way machine-tied springs (the only collection with machine-tied spring system - all others are sinuous spring or webbing)

As for durability, it all comes down to wise fabric choice. Polyesters are a very good choice. Absolutely do not choose something with a high rayon content.

Bassett Design Consultants are pretty well trained & a lot of them are degreed designers. Expect them to offer a free housecall, but of course this is optional, & usually offered only if you are doing a whole-room project.

You will be able to see a cut-away of their upholstery construction in the store & watch a video of the process. But again, this cut away really only pertains to the custom program, but they make it seem like it applies to all of their upholstery, & this is not true.

I have seen RARE complaints about the Custom Program, but the other stuff is very run-of=the=mill. Nice styles though.

If I didn't already have a nice sofa, I would've DEFINITELY bought a custom sofa there. That's not what I could say about other manufacturers that I know intimately. A lot of high-end designers here reguarly bring their clients to Bassett. Designers around here usually concentrate on Ethan Allen, Bassett, Stickley & Sherrill. (I don't know anyone here that carries Smith Bros, but I would definitely have confidence in them)It wasn't unusual to have 5 independent designers in the design room with their clients at the same time.

If you narrow it down to Bassett as a contender & need more info, please let me know.

~Jeana

• tinycastles
    12 years ago

Henredon is comfortably out of my price range but I do know my mother prefers this brand. She spares no expense when it comes to furniture. Her couches are gorgeous and wear wonderfully, but they are empty nesters and the couches are used much less than those owned by a family with young children. I will add that the woman has some gigantic couches (and beds) that are Henredon. I'm not sure if its just her taste, but that stuff appears to be made for giants. (These same giants must also be influencing Restoration Hardware's latest offerings.)

She also has several King Hickory couches, but I think that line is better suited for homes with a more 'rustic' aesthetic.

• maryelizabeth78
    12 years ago

Have you considered Huntington House? They have a fantastic, quality custom line. We purchased a couch and loveseat nearly 10 years ago -- chose our arm style, base style, cushion firmness, custom pillows, etc. It still looks as good today as it did 10 years ago! In fact, we just ordered our second Huntington House piece -- a sectional! Their prices are great and their product can't be beat.

We live in NC and were able to order through one of their distributors, Furnitureland South. They have an enormous showroom just outside of High Point but I believe there are other locations around the country.

Here is a link that might be useful: Huntington House

• tinker_2006
    12 years ago

I currently have both a Huntington House & custom made Sherrill, both excellent quality!

• karoloke
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you, everyone, for your replies. I got too busy for a little while to respond, but do appreciate all your comments about the quality of these various manufacturers' upholstry. I'll have to see if there is a Hunting House dealer in my area. Jeana, I appreciate your tips about Basset's custom program vs. their regular stock items. I may get in touch with you if I decide to go with Basset. I think it's going to be a little while longer now, though, since we just had to pay for a roof.

If anyone has ordered a custom sofa before, I'd be interested to know if you were happy with it when you got it, or if it somehow didn't live up to your expectations.

• doonie
    12 years ago

Sorry to hear about the roof. That's no fun, but necessary.

Just to clarify, the Bassett sofa that I was referring to wasn't out of the custom line, so my input isn't valid on that brand/style. We did just get a custom Century sectional and are very happy with it's quality.

Good luck to you!

• suero
    12 years ago

A number of manufacturers have programs that let you customize the arms, back and seat cushions, legs and skirt/no skirt, and, of course, the fabric.

I did a loveseat from Drexel Heritage, where I picked filling as well. It turns out that I shuold have picked a down alternative, rather than feathers and down, because one of my offspring is allergic to feathers. Something to consider, if you have allergies.

• InteriorStylist
    12 years ago

Your welcome, & sorry about the roof. Stay in touch!!!

~Jeana

• everyrose
    12 years ago

I got a custom sectional sofa from Bassett. It is about a year and a half old and it has held up well--it looks brand new. I'm very happy with it and it is exactly what I wanted thanks to the customization.

One thing about Bassett is that it is American made in a modern factory which means that delivery is fast. They told me to plan on 4 weeks for delivery but it could arrive in as soon as two weeks. My fabric was back ordered but my sofa was delivered in only three weeks. In contrast, I went to Ethan Allen to comparison shop and they told me that delivery would take "months" (they couldn't be any more specific than that) since their furniture is manufactured in China.

When we placed our order, both my husband and I went over the order form. Something didn't look right and we went back to the store and had the manager go over the order and sure enough there was a mistake. So my advice is no matter what company you order from, double check the order yourself and make sure the store double checks the order. These customized orders can get really complex with all the choices for cushions, arms , legs, backs etc.

My experience was that the salesperson who helped us was not very helpful in helping us select fabrics. We were looking for "cat friendly" fabric that would not snag on claws and a high natural fiber content that would not build up a static charge that attracts and holds cat hair. Bassett does not carry much in the way of natural fiber fabrics. The salesperson seemed kinda clueless about the fabrics other than that they were pretty colors. Luckily I did my homework on fibers (the electromotive series from high scool science class, I literally did my homework!) and we brought home fabric samples and did in-house kitty testing on them.

Overall I would say that the pros for Bassett are fast delivery, decent quality at a good price point. Wait for the sales, they are always having a sale.

Cons are a limited fabric selection, not the highest quality (but good for the price), clueless salespeople (but you will find them everywhere)

Custom furniture is difficult. You are trying to visualize what a 6 foot or longer sofa will look like based on a 1 square foot fabric sample. Take your time, shop around, do your research, bring home samples.

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

The house I grew up in has several Henredon Sofas between 36 and 42 years old and two of them have the original fabric. I would put any one of them in my house, reupholstered.

• barb5
    12 years ago

My first sofa was a Henredon. Total accident; I had no idea of the quality of sofa I was buying. The sofa upholstery lasted through 23 years of young adulthood, then marriage with young children, and the material finally gave out on the seats as DD was planning her wedding. That sofa is being stored in the attic, to be reupholstered at a later date, as structurally there is nothing wrong with it.

Replacement sofa is a custom Sherrill. It is about 3 years old now. I love it; it is a very comfortable sofa. I do have a store bought slip cover over it most days, as it is yellow, and I have 2 critters with muddy paws, and one critter with sharp claws who love to lie on it as much as I do!

• karoloke
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm glad to hear that Basset is made in the USA. It surprised me, though, that Ethan Allen is made in China. Suero, that is a good point about down alternative.

I've heard that Henredon is well made, but wow, holding up for 42 years says a lot, Palimpset! So do you think it is better to buy a more expensive, really good quality sofa like Hendredon that will hold up for many, many years, but then you might tire of it after awhile, or buy one that is less expensive that might give you 10 years, and then replace more frequently? I've heard it can be about as much to reupholster a piece as it is to buy new, and I think I might want a change in style after awhile, but a well made sofa is so much more comfortable to sit on than a cheap one.

• allison0704
    12 years ago

Pal, my parents still have two of three LR sofas purchased in 1958. We recovered for the first time 24 years ago. They gave the longest one to Goodwill, something like 10-12 feet long.

• tinam61
    12 years ago

Well finally bit the bullet and hubby and I went sofa shopping Friday. I am pretty sure I will be placing an order this week for a Rowe sofa and a Robin Bruce (company belonging to Rowe) chair. Brought home fabric samples. This furniture store does carry Sherrill. Liked some of their sofas, but seemed to prefer the Rowe cushions - on the floor models of course - both companies you can order different cushions.

Also learned something interesting and relates to a previous thread here on this board. Our current sofa is a Lazy Boy and is almost 14 years old. It has held up very well, does not look it's age at all. However, when Lazy Boy and more recent purchases were discussed here on this board, many people did not have a good experience. This store no longer carries Lazy Boy as they also felt the quality had diminshed, probably due to the fact that the furniture is now out-sourced to Mexico.

tina

• mlp374
    11 years ago

InteriorStylist, thanks for all your tips about Bassett. The fabric we are considering for a custom sofa with them has a 52% rayon content - is that too high for everyday use? We are just 2 large adults, no kids or pets. It is woven, #1350; 52% rayon, 26% polyester, 20% cotton, 1% nylon. Should I stick to 100% polyester? I would like something to wear in gently, not wear out quickly. I will go back and talk more about the fabrics with the sales person, but appreciate your advice.
    Much thanks,
    Lisa

• lynndale
    11 years ago

I bought a custom Bassett sectional 4 years ago and have not been happy with how it has worn. The fabric immediately pilled. Bassett replaced the cushions and within weeks....same problem. It looks much more worn than it should after 4 years with a 2 adult household. I will not buy from Bassett again.

• bethohio3
    11 years ago

Our newly purchased La-Z-Boy furniture was made in TN. However, I wouldn't buy anything from them again. The sectional was constructed so poorly that they are remaking it.

• jerseygirl_1
    11 years ago

Don't hesitiate to look at Calico Corners for a sofa. Great selection of fabrics, great construction, and made in the US. Yes, they are a little pricey but well worth it.

I have had my CC sofa for 12 years. It was the main seating in my last home and I have 2 cats. Just had it reupholstered about a 1 1/2 ago in a linen type fabric to update it not because it needed it. Also, bought the fabric at Calico.

We have 2 chairs by Bernhardt made in the US. Made well, good quality. They do make some of their furniture overseas but they also have a factory in NC.

• sheriz6
    11 years ago

We bought a custom Bassett sofa about five years ago and we've been very happy with it. The fabric and cushions have held up really well (two teenagers and a dog) and it's very comfortable.

However, we also bought upholstered dining room chairs from them which arrived damaged. We spent almost three months fighting with the store over replacing vs. repairing them. The customer service was horrible, it was an absolute nightmare, and I will never buy from them again.

• tinker_2006
    11 years ago

I just donated an almost new Sherrill, QUlity was great, just the style and fabric didn't go with my new home. I do have 2 Sherrill chairs, happy with them too. Another good brand is Hunting House

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

A smaller company with an excellent product! I had a SB years ago, and it never sagged/wore out, I just tired of the upholstery after 20 years!

If you live in the mid west you'll have better luck since the furniture is made locally(Indiana) in AMERICA!

Here is a link that might be useful: Smith Brothers

• EG3d
    11 years ago

My Sherrill sofa from Marshall Fields from 30-35 years ago now recovered (It used to be an off white blue taupe stripe):

Recovered fabric:

• maire_cate
    11 years ago

My custom Sherrill is 5 years and I'm not thrilled with it. It's in my family room but the kids are gone so it gets minor use. DH and I use our wing chairs.

The seat cushions lost their firmness within a few years. Our previous Sherrill stayed firm for a good 10 years.

• Lisa Jones
    8 years ago

My mom purchased a new custom sectional, 100% polyester fabric, from Bassett about 6 months ago. No off gassing from day one, very well made and sturdy. It is extremely comfortable and have had many positive compliments regarding the style, comfort, and quality. We would definitely purchase from Bassett again but only through their custom program which is made in the USA. We did not like the quality of their other furniture they had on the showroom floor. It looked cheap like it was made in China. The only problem we incurred was delivery took twice as long as quoted. However, they did not charge her for delivery and gave a nice discount on another purchase she made. Our store was located on in Kennesaw, Ga.

• anjaa
    8 years ago

I purchased a Sherrill sofa in April of 2015. The fabric is wearing so badly. It's only been a couple of months. Never had a couch wear out before. It's a grade 14 fabric, if it wasn't a good quality, should have been told that. Very disappointed

• bbstx
    8 years ago

allison, who is the manufacturer of the chair and ottoman to the left of the sofa? Gorgeous room, btw!

• LucyStar1
    8 years ago

I have a Sherill chair and ottoman. The fabric was wonderful quality. However, like maire_cate, the seat cushion did not hold up. As soon as I got it, I knew that I did not like the seat cushion. There was no springy-ness to it. It sagged after a few years. Everything else was great though. The back cushion and the rest of the foam on the arms and ottoman were fine. After eight years, I had it re-upholstered and a firmer seat cushion made for it.

• suthrnlady
    7 years ago

We bought a Bassett sofa and love seat about 2 years ago. I hate them both!!! The fabric began pilling as soon as we sat on them, and feathers are still coming out of the cushions and pillows. They were supposed to be down, but they are feathers. The cushions will not hold their shape, and we paid $160 for two extra Throw pillows. Two came with each piece. The two extra ones are much smaller than the others, and don't hold their shape, and they are foam. There is no way to plump everything so it looks good. I will never buy anything from Bassett again!!!!

• Larry Lawton
    7 years ago

We are looking at Basset Custom and also Smith Brothers, we can get both with Revolution fabric (we have dogs). Anyone have experience with this fabric?

• pandtkendall
    7 years ago

I can't speak highly enough of Henredon. Quality furniture and worth the price. We bought 2 matching club chairs in the 70s and had 3 school age sons at home. They still looked great and hadn't lost a bit of comfort for almost 20 years. Had them reupholstered, not that they needed it, for a change of color. Used them for about another 20+ years when we wanted a new style when moving. Gave them to Habitat for Humanity and have seen pictures of them still being enjoyed. Worth the extra money for really quality furniture.

i don't know anything about Sherrill and have never heard much good about Bassett. Good luck.

• designsaavy
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

We have a custom Bassett sofa and two chairs. We don't use that room alot, so it hasn't gotten alot of use. I had leather before and decided to get an off-white fabric for the sofa this time. Big mistake for us and my two cats. All those little hairs thread themselves into the fabric. And I ordered the semi-attached cushions for the chairs which I don't care for. My cats have claimed the top of those pillow backs as their bed during the day. So, when it's just us at home, I throw a sheet over them to keep the hair at bay.

The chairs are very comfortable, but the couch is just OK.

Back to leather next time around.

• mksimages
    4 years ago

I, too, am not happy with my Sherrill sofa . The fabric is not attractive and the cushions look sloppy after 5 years of light use. I also don't find it very comfortable. I wouldn't buy this brand again.