Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

In re geese...

mtnrdredux_gw
11 years ago

I came across this last night when I was looking coastal homes on architects sites. I've been trying to find it again with all the chatter below.

I love this kitchen --- a bit of a twist on The Peacock. And look who is most prominent? I suppose with a stepstool they could be bonneted., in different colors depending on the season.

Here is a link that might be useful: a little bit different

Comments (22)

• lindac
    11 years ago

Amazing how something so classic and innovative could evolve into dumb geese with bonnets and shawls!

• Fori
    11 years ago

But decoys are evil, meant to trick innocent geese to their deaths.

Geese with bonnets and ribbons are happy little souls, with no deception in their hearts.

It's a totally different vibe!

(I can tolerate geese in ribbons--not hats or shawls--if they'd only stay away from that dusty country blue. Blech!)

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

No, to trick innocent geese onto my dinner table!

• Sandy1963
    11 years ago

I don't know...I'd keep those geese, if I could have that kitchen!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Geese sweet? Not hardly...Old Mrs. P. had watch geese at the dairy farm and you NEVER turned your back on them! They were mean suckers!

• dody40
    11 years ago

Is that a fish on stick in the window?

• allison0704
    11 years ago

The inedible fish stick. ;D

• Oakley
    11 years ago

The fish stick reminds me, I do have a rooster on a stick. Must find him. :)

• springroz
    11 years ago

Is it me , or are there too many of everything in that kitchen? When I look at it , all I se is repetitive elements, in a busy way. Too many french chairs, too many antique brass lights, too many geese, too many feet on the cabinets, too many dark glass cabinets, and inedible fish sticks(that 's funny!), bet there is one in every window!!

• awm03
    11 years ago

Those geese would look really cute if they had bonnets and ribbons on them. It would add just the whimsical touch that kitchen needs to make it homey.

(teasing)

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

That's a beautiful kitchen, love the brass, including the geese. Ebay has some nice vintage ones, I have one downstairs that I like (but not enough to bring it upstairs!)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

>Geese sweet? Not hardly...Old Mrs. P. had watch geese at the dairy farm and you NEVER turned your back on them! They were mean suckers!

Yep, back in my childhood we used to get hauled off on nature walks in one of the parks in rural North Miami, and I used to start sweating when we approached one spot where the path ran along the edge of a small farm with many geese. That was one scary hundred yards, every time.

• outsideplaying_gw
    11 years ago

Definitely a fish-on-a-schtick. Would we have noticed the geese, were it not for the other thread? I'm with you springroz, now that I look more closely, but it's still got basically good looks.

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

The trick to turning those evil watch-geese into happy friendly ones is to catch them and put gingham bonnets on them.

• yayagal
    11 years ago

Beautiful kitchen and I love the paintings.

• blfenton
    11 years ago

Geese really are dirty things and their poop is slippery and slimy and seeing them in a kitchen is kind of yecchy. At least , as lazygardens points out, when they have gingham bonnets on them they become clean and cute.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I like this kitchen very much. I like the way they mixed finishes here, instead of the typcial painted island/wood cabs or vice versa scheme. I also the like the use of white crown molding across the wood cabs.

As I often remind my children, ALL animals ... evacuate ... I hardly think it is reason to banish them from kitchen decor. And if you think geese are mean, try swans!

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

>And if you think geese are mean, try swans!

Very true, but swans mostly confine their territories to the water and their nesting areas, unlike geese, who know they own all the area they can reach. :)

• mdrive
    11 years ago

what a genteel room.....love it!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Swans will keep those nasty dirty geese away!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Every year we are inundated with Canada geese...1 lb of poo per goose per day! They are not permitted near the house...I make sure yep they stay in the wetlands!

• caminnc
    11 years ago

I love the geese but Christopher wouldn't!