Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nutsaboutplants

Please help with mantel

nutsaboutplants
9 years ago

I posted a couple of days ago and got no feedback. I really need help. What would make this mirror work on this mantel? I feel like I made a big mistake with the mirror choice in the mantel, but it's too expensive to correct now. The mirror was so heavy that it tore off the drywall even with reinforcements, and now has been fastened to the wall with a lot of measuring, hanging, rehanging, adjusting, etc because the stud location didn't allow for a straight look. So I don't want to go through the ordeal of having the handyman come back and patch up the holes he had to make in the first place. So please help me accessorize the mantel to work with the mirror. I have a whole bunch of different accessories but that I can pull from if needed. Thanks.

Comments (21)

• Mmmbeeer
    9 years ago

Love the mantel--it's gorgeous! If you have pictures of the whole fireplace in relation to the room, that would be helpful. I know it sounds like an ordeal to fix but from the little bit of information we have from your picture, the mirror seems too small and out of scale.

You have this big, bold mantel and what you want to do is enhance it because it already looks like it commands the attention of the room. You dont want to obscure it with lots of accessories. I guess my view is this: architectural details like yours are in and of themselves focal points. These are the areas where you really want to choose carefully to enhance it--not try to make something fit because it's convenient at the time.

• aputernut
    9 years ago

Have you tried turning it the other way? and get rid of so many tiny items, go for bigger or group more together and vase alone, or just one item with it.

• Mmmbeeer
    9 years ago

I feel bad--I just reread your post and understand how much you feel you need to work around this mirror. I have made some decorating mistakes; luckily with paint and a very patient husband, they were relatively easy to correct. That being said, as much as I initially resisted, I was much happier when I started over and moved on. Life is too short to settle when it's something you look at every day. I can say that after working on many home improvement projects, if you decided you really wanted to take that mirror down, it really is not that horribly difficult to redo.

• User
    9 years ago

I think the items up there are a little small in scale. Maybe prop a picture on the one side of the frame slightly overlapping and try another smaller photo on the other side in a horizontal position. Then you may or may not need items toward the ends. Maybe a plant, clock, chunky candlesticks. Do you have other photos of the room you could share?

Back to add, I don't see why you can't work around the mirror you have.
    Couldn't find an exact photo, but here's a prop/layer look.
    {{!gwi}}

This doesn't have a mirror in the middle, but similar shape.
    {{!gwi}}

If you find you can't get it to work, consider flipping the mirror, if you can, horizontally.
    {{!gwi}}

This post was edited by sheesharee on Thu, Oct 16, 14 at 1:42

• nutsaboutplants
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks folks. No, the mirror only goes vertically. It's a very heavy mirror and it only has a wire running one way. The handyman looked at it and hesitated to drive nails into the backing for fear of damaging it. Mmmbeer(nice name) I hear you. If I can't make this work, I may have to start over. At this point I feel like I'm stuck with this mirror and the way it's hung. Shee, I like the idea of propping a picture to give some heft. Apertunet, I'll try editing it. I think grandmaof3 had a similar comment. To add to all these constraints, the mantel itself is very narrow. Only sbout 6". So I'm limited in what I can place there. Thanks for the feedback. Please keep them coming n

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

First thing, you don't need a handyman to fix holes in the wall. You need a putty knife, putty, a piece of sand paper, and touch-up paint. It is soooo easy to do.

Next, I think you can work with that mirror, but you have to turn it the other way, so that the longest side of the mirror balances with the long length of the fireplace. Have the bottom edge of the mirror in the same place the bottom edge of it is now, so @ 3 - 4 inches above the mantel.

Once you get any old holes that can be seen patched up (using a putty knife, put a blob of putty over the hole, then with the putty knife, go over it from every angle, smoothing out the putty. With the edge of the knife, get excess putty up. Let it dry for a few hours, or a day, then sand it lightly to make sure it's smooth, then paint over it using the feathering method (very little paint on the brush, and extending it outward into the wall until no more paint comes off the brush. That will make it blend into the existing paint).

Go to Home Depot and get a mirror hanger you see in the link below. It comes with its own hardware, including drywall screws, so you don't even have to find joists. It also comes with a level that clicks right into it, so you know the frame will be level. Attach the wall piece to the wall and the frame piece to the frame, and then just lift it right onto the holder. These are the BEST picture and mirror frame holders! Make sure you get the one that can hold up to 200 lbs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hangman mirror hanger

• party_music50
    9 years ago

It's a beautiful mantel and mirror. I also think the mirror would have worked better horizontally, but realize why you cannot do that. In this case, I'd try using larger and taller elements that stand further out on the mantel.... I envision tall grey vases w/ fill appropriate for the room. :)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

the other thing you could do is get a second, matching mirror, and hang them side by side vertically.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Your mirror is lovely and certainly not a mistake. Since you can't hang it horizontally I would use two smallish pictures on each side, to make a grouping of five. Each picture should relate to the others.

Your new home is lovely and can support a layered look in your room. I have a love for antique dog prints but you could use botanicals or another subject matter that appeals to you. I think the final goal is to make the mirror look like part of a group rather than a solitary element.

• arbpdl
    9 years ago

olychick's first pic is beautiful ... I'm sure you could make your mirror work in that fashion.

I have a house with old plaster/lathe. Sometimes it's workable and allows me to hang things, but most of the time it doesn't. I've learned to lean things whenever possible rather than hanging, especially on exterior walls. This lesson has saved me tons of repair work and frustration and gives me the freedom to swap things out whenever I like (which is often). I know you're walls aren't old and crumbly like mine but it sounds like you perhaps hanging things isn't a quick & simple thing either.

• chibimimi
    9 years ago

The mirror is beautiful, but quite a bit darker than anything else in the photo. Could you introduce accessories with some of the colors from the mirror?

• nutsaboutplants
    Original Author
    9 years ago

tibbrix, thank you for taking the time to explain it so clearly. I do want to become less helpless and I'm going to try doing it myself. Will get the hangman thingy. Partymusic, hollykay, chibimimi and beth, thanks for the ideas. I do have some prints that relate to each other. I'll try hanging it horizontally with tibbrix's virtual help and if that doesn't work, I'll look for pictures or other layers. The mirror is a mercury glass mirror (not just the finish but the mirror glass itself) which is perhaps what makes it so heavy. Olychick and Shee have given some good visuals to try also.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

I prefer the mirror vertical. It provides the room with a visual 'lift'. You can always mount candle sconces or wall mounted floral arrangements on either side of the mirror for balance.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Beverly's idea is fantastic if you want to keep the one mirror and keep it vertical. IMO, a house can never have too many sconces!

• nutsaboutplants
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Beverly, that's fabulous. Thanks for the mockup. Looks nice and quite doable! Here is the rest of the room, sorry about the extraneous stuff around. Still unpacking and arranging.

• nutsaboutplants
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Open foyer opening into the living room.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I like the mirror and I think it's fine. What isn't fine is the scale of all the little items in front of it....room dandruff. Instead, you need other larger pieces that stand up to the mirror so the mirror becomes part of the larger grouping . Others have already posted some examples for you.

In this example, they placed a vase with material in it that was over half as tall as the mirror on one side. More material in front almost as tall and fairly tall items on the left.

[Traditional Living Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-living-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_718~s_2107) by Greensboro Interior Designers & Decorators Transforming Rooms

This asymmetrical arrangement makes the mirror secondary to the dried arrangement on the left with small scale items on the right.

[Transitional Living Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/transitional-living-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_718~s_2112) by Mill Valley Interior Designers & Decorators Jute Interior Design

You can add more framed mirrors to make a collage

[Eclectic Living Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/eclectic-living-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_718~s_2104) by Atlanta Photographers Patrick Heagney Photography

For a more formal arrangement, place two tall matching and substantial vases with or without the branches on either side of the mirror.

[Traditional Spaces[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-home-design-ideas-phbr1-bp~s_2107) by Grapevine Interior Designers & Decorators DecRenew Interiors

• nutsaboutplants
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A broader view. Again sorry about the stray stuff still being unpacked and triaged.

• Jon 6a SE MA
    9 years ago

Paint the wooden frames of the mirror white, add compatible light color with the pieces you place on the mantel.

• nutsaboutplants
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Annie, thank you! Those visuals help immensely. I was going for a slightly asymmetrical look, but I think the last option you posted with tall vases (or the sconces variation as Beverly suggested) on either side is going to be the more doable option.

Johny, there is no wood in that frame. It's all silvered glass. Don't know how to describe it but I don't see a paintable portion there.