Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deejayjay_gw

changing carpeted stairway to wood.

deejayjay
9 years ago

We replaced all carpet in our split entry house with laminate last winter. Have a split entry stairway which had wrought iron railing around the top. Railing is removed. Want to replace stairs carpet with treads to match color of new floor, and white risers. and some type of wood railing around top that is painted white like our woodwork. Has anyone done this that has pictures or suggestions. We may have to do this ourselves, as we have had a difficult time finding a professional to do the job. Thanks.

Comments (12)

• deejayjay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

wood under carpet is real cheap pine that is in poor shape, so it can't just be stained.

• User
    9 years ago

I hope you get lots of ideas. I need to do this in my old house where the carpet was glued to the steps. All I can think to do is replace everything. I can't imagine I would be able to get the rubber backing off.

• selcier
    9 years ago

I swear on a home show all they did was replace the treads with good quality wood. I'm sure there are tons of tutorials online.

• caminnc
    9 years ago

I am in the process of doing this right now. I am painting the treads black instead of stain. I think I could have stained them but I wanted them black. I may put a runner down but that remains to be seen. It's turning out to be easier than I thought. I removed carpet, sanded pine treads, used wood filler to fill any bad places, then primed. Next comes at least two coats of paint. We are covering the raisers with a good 1/4" plywood. I rolled the raisers with a sponge roller so there isn't any streaks from a brush. I don't think the padding will be too hard to get off. You should give it a try.

• deejayjay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What puzzles us most is the railing around the top. And how to finish that laminate floor edge butts up to the stairway hole. It's a split entry, so there's quite a large hole in the floor that needs to be finished off. Yet maintain the floating floor.

• bonnieann925
    9 years ago

http://southernhospitalityblog.com/week-20-how-to-install-new-stair-treads/

Here is one way to do this on a budget. Rhoda has done many DIY projects and is a wealth of information.

• deejayjay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the link. I was sure hoping to get more response from people on here who had done this themselves, and perhaps had pics. Thanks for you who responded.

• User
    9 years ago

I am SO glad I stopped back here! Quarter inch plywood skin is the answer! Stairs just got moved up on the list.

• User
    9 years ago

"wood under carpet is real cheap pine that is in poor shape, so it can't just be stained."
    Not always. I had pine under mine and painted them. Do you know what's undeath the carpet? We had a local flooring guy remove the carpet and staples and I painted the treads a dark brown (SW Woodsy Brown) and the risers white. Looking back, I wish I would've used General Finishes Gel stain, but that's another story. The link Bonnie posted above was the first person I thought of. Thriftydecorchic did her stairs as well. My treads looked like this when the carpet was up.

Reading what you wrote again, I don'y think my link is very helpful at all. Could you post a photo showing the top of the stairs where the flooring is? I'm having a hard time picturing what you're saying.

At the top of our stairs we have an oak landing tread and carpet buts into that. (Our railings are all oak)
    Doing a quick search, this is what ours looks like.
    http://www.directstairparts.com/collections/wood-treads/products/lineal-landing-tread-3-1-2-per-lf?gclid=COudpO6tocECFQQT7AodY34A3w

Here's a photo.
    {{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Thriftydecorchic

This post was edited by sheesharee on Fri, Oct 10, 14 at 1:41

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    9 years ago

Camin,

How do you apply the 1/4'' plywood to the risers? Nails? Glue?

Linda

• caminnc
    9 years ago

Haven't done it yet, but small nail gun and probably glue as well. I will ask DH tonight. He has been working 7 days a week at his work.

• caminnc
    9 years ago

delete double post

This post was edited by caminnc on Sat, Oct 11, 14 at 6:50