Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robotropolis

Help me design a bar/buffet?

robo (z6a)
9 years ago

Hi all!

You gave me lots of good advice and feedback in my previous thread cheap and cheerful oddball dining room.

We have finally decided to do a floating credenza along the back wall to serve as bar and glassware storage.

Back wall - where the barn window is.

Current "solution" - expedit. Not quite enough storage.

My thought is to use kitchen cupboards to achieve a floating credenza like this:

And maybe do some open shelves above.

Here are my problems: EVERYTHING. I have no idea how to design this thing!!

Here's a photo of my kitchen - it is immediately open to the dining and has shaker cuboards, beadboard panels on peninsula.

Given that context,
* What kind of cupboards should I buy? Shaker? What color?
* How long should the credenza be? The wall is 106".
* Should I center credenza on the wall? Or run it into the corner?
* How high should it be mounted? Table is 30" high.
* How much room between bottom of credenza and floor?

* Should I take go minimal with the open shelves?

Or do like the "Wall o'shelving?" (I did always like the idea of a library/dining combo)

I need so much guidance. Please help! If you do have some ideas, thank you very much in advance.

Comments (21)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I think you need to find some inspiration. Have you been nosing around houzz.com?

I think you also need to do some measuring to figure out just how much storage you need. Right now it looks as though you are running out of room due to all the bottles you have. Also it looks like not a lot of glassware...do you need storage for more? Also consider how much surface space you need for mixing drinks, ice bucket, etc. You want it to be both attractive and functional.

Is there any reason you want to float it? That does mean you lose potential storage space....
    Do you have room for regular base kitchen cabinets? If so, we have a pullout that is very functional for bottle storage...

Normally I would think of glasses on open shelves above...maybe with the wine glasses upside down on the under shelf cleats. But with so many bottles, maybe putting them above would be better.

[Craftsman Home Bar[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/craftsman-home-bar-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_12302~s_2116) by Seattle Architects & Building Designers Board and Vellum

I don't really see bar/library as coming together so much...though I can see a brandy and snifters in a library...

• pps7
    9 years ago

I love open shelving, I really do. I have it in my kitchen. But personally, I wouldn't do it in the bar. Unless your stemware gets used every week. I would do glass front cabinets to the ceiling. 106" is a lot. You could do 2 30" cabinets with open shelves in between if you really want open shelves I'm not sure I'm loving the floating credenza idea. You are losing storage space and you will need to clean under there. But if you really love the idea, it will work. I would put it so the top is counter height-36".

I see pretty stained cabinets in a similar style as your kitchen. Counter surface could be anything you love but were too scared to use in the kitchen such as a white marble. You could use some really pretty hardware to add some bling.

I think you can go into the corner. You will love it. We use ours all the time.

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I agree the bottle situation is OUT OF CONTROL. However, my husband has to live here too, I guess, and he just loves having the bottles out.

I have to house 8 linear feet of booze, 12 bottles of wine, and 6 linear feet of glassware plus some barware and linens and stuff (not a ton).

I had considered doing glassfront cabinets above for booze and/or stemware.

The painting installed on the adjacent wall comes to within 10" of the corner. So full depth kitchen cabinets won't work as they would impinge on the painting.

But I COULD do the shallow IKEA besta wall cabinets above. They're 8" deep.

One advantage of doing kitchen cabinets is I can keep the buffet depth to 13" or so, which is an advantage in my tight dining room.

I could do IKEA orsa birch, which would match the floors (maple) and butcher block (birch) and cabinet profile (shaker) but am afraid it would look extremely kitcheny.

Maybe black?

This post was edited by robotropolis on Thu, Oct 23, 14 at 12:12

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

PS Thanks to both for the inspiration pictures -- they are both beautiful!!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Use Besta from IKEA. It is designed to hang off the wall with no base below You can combine it with some of the shelves IKEA offers and do something spectacular. It's inexpensive, versatile and looks great when it's installed.

• teacats
    9 years ago

Love the Besta solution above -- and here's is a pin from Pinterest -- another Ikea solution ......

Yes -- add shelves --and go long! LOL! :) The key to the look is to use all of the wall space -- plus you could slide baskets under the floating buffet to hold additional items -- in the future .....

Here is a link that might be useful: another Ikea solution

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Should I go like THIS INTENSE on the besta?

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

One side with open shelves?

• teacats
    9 years ago

ahem -- the decision for/against open shelves really depends on your Dust Level Tolerance (DLT) ..... both of your possible designs really look wonderful .... but the Open Shelving Question really depends on your DLT and how often you would need/use items on the shelves ....

P.S. did you measure your taller liquor bottles to see if some will fit into your closed cabinets? Just a thought .....

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

I remember this room! So cool! I forget, what did "we" decide last time? And did you do it/get it/buy it.

• teacats
    9 years ago

LOVE the artwork Besta .....

Maybe this idea for the glasses/rack????

Here is a link that might be useful: Besta -- check out the glass rack under the shelves

• Boopadaboo
    9 years ago

I like the artwork besta best :)

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We sort of decided to wait for the perfect teak modular system to arrive in my province. And it basically never will. Poor me!

But also I think I need something a little sleeker and more built in just because the dining room is a bit tight. Teak credenzas tend to be in the 18-22" deep category and I'd be happier in the 12-15" territory.

There will always be SOME bottles on the bar thanks to my husband's notion of hospitality.

I'm hoping to wean it down from what you see above. Having glassfront cabs should help in that regard.

The shelf units are 25" high wi/adjustable shelf so they should be able to hold all liquor bottle heights.

My dust level tolerance has gone WAY up since I got help around the house. We use the glasses fairly often. My tolerance below waist height is not good however b/c I have three furry cats.

This post was edited by robotropolis on Thu, Oct 23, 14 at 18:14

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

This is not your kitchen so you don't want to match the cabinets. No shaker doors in this room. Something more sleek and entertaining.. You have a load of bottles to store and the full depth of the Besta is what you need. I'd advise closed cabinets and mounting the base cabinets high enough that it can be used to blend drinks or serve a buffet. The nice thing about the Besta is that if your needs change in a few years, you can reconfigure the cabinets in a different form.

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I like your ideas beverly!

I have a major husband issue..the husband insists the liquor is visible. For him it's a major part of hospitality. So I either need open space or glass doors.

Oh, and I also have an art issue because the full depth besta interferes with the giant art on the adjacent wall.

But I AM interested in this sleek approach!

This post was edited by robotropolis on Thu, Oct 23, 14 at 20:33

• rockybird
    9 years ago

I love your kitchen and dining area!

I think you need a sleek floating credenza.

Here is one I really like:

[Contemporary Living Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-living-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_718~s_2103) by Vancouver Architects & Building Designers Portal Design Inc

Or can you also have a separate bar cart?

[Contemporary Home Bar[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-home-bar-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_12302~s_2103) by San Jose Interior Designers & Decorators Maggie Stephens Interiors

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi rocky! Thanks so much for your photos. I really like the first one because it helps me visualize a credenza in a corner with an opening to the left. I also love everything else about that room. I like the bar cart idea but unfortunately my husband's scotch collection has outgrown the bar cart. He's not into the whole "curated" thing.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

If you husband wants to display the bottles, (and I suggest that since this is his idea he dusts the bottles) why not turn the color bottles into the art of the room. Place the bottles in a single line on those display ledges sold at West Elm and IKEA.

• gsciencechick
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

So, Robo, what actually did happen with the space?

I saw one of those vintage bar carts rockybird posted at an estate sale, and I am kicking myself for not grabbing it!