Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

WT fabric for "coral bedding" with navy/white accents

mtnrdredux_gw
9 years ago

Some of you may recall my guestroom for which i am trying to find bedding and WT fabric.

Pretty sure I will use Serena and Lily coral-trimmmed bedding. Would also probably use navy or aqua (or both) in the room.

Which fabrics do you like? It will be used for WT, probably a neck roll or throw pillows, and a window seat cushion.

Comments (28)

• Kiwigem
    9 years ago

What kind of WT?

• User
    9 years ago

Navy and white stripe / window seat, pillow for bed

White bedding with coral trim

Middle top fabric, coral background with white design /neckroll pillow, WT

Left top fabric, aqua background with coral sea life/ welting on coral neck roll and second fabric for WT

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kiwigem,

Not sure, I like roman shades, plus they show a pattern nicely, but I may want something more like drapes.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Actually, the navy/white is a kantha throw for the bed, but I get what you mean. I like that combo!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Wow...tough choices...tough color....in that there's little of what I think of as coral in the selections. The only one I see is the one with the coral in it.

I think what's throwing me is that the border in the bedding looks more red than coral...a lot of the fabrics look more orange than coral.

This is what I think of when I think of coral...

So you've got a pretty selection of fabrics there, but, to my eye, not a lot of coral if that's where you want to go.

Of the fabrics there, I like the center top best, but I think the bottom right goes best with the bedding.

But with those bold graphics and given the setting, I think I would mix in another fabric...so maybe use this for window treatment and throw pillow and then something else for seat cushion and other pillow...so you have more opportunity to bring in the navy/aqua...

Unless you find a print you like that incorporates the navy/aqua and coral. Not that ikat is where you want to go, but as an example...
    {{!gwi}}

Or be deliberate about mixing patterns within the pillows and window treatment so it ties the colors together like was done here...maybe like a band of the navy and white in a roman shade, and do the reverse on a pillow...

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

The lobsters strike me as more kitchen-y or bathroom-y (and I'm from the epicentre of The Lobster As Decoration).

Top right, too orangey.

I really like the floral...but I really love every floral.

Here's another photo of the coral bedding with some navy. I think it's lighter than you see in the mood board.

• joshuasamah
    9 years ago

Instead of going through yards of fabric in a fabric store I have gone to my local wallpaper store and gotten beautiful fabrics from Thibaut for a window seat and pillows. Thibaut has beautiful fabric and many patterns that would pick up the coral color. Might be worth a try

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

robotropolis, that pic is helpful as it does look more coral than in the mood board. It is pretty with the navy and white...

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I like the Jacobean type floral.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, everyone.

Annie, that's why I refer to it as coral/orange or "coral" . But since I know I want mostly white bedding, the Serena and lily set w just the coral trim is the given here. Whatever color that is, is the color I am keying into. That's why I ordered a sham to take with me and make sure I like in the room.

My favorite of these fabrics is the top middle, Lily Pulitzer's "Shell We" in "Peachy Keen". I also like the top left but wasn't sure if/how to mix it in with navy and white, which us also a requirement. I liked KSWLs ideas.

In re lobsters. DH and I are allergic. Despite my assurances that it's not familial, our kids shy away from it too! Yes we each have siblings who claim they only visit for the "lobstah" so it's kind of an inside joke. I rather like the orange with the block print look, but DH reminds me that one of our prior guest rooms had beetles wallpaper and our CT guest room has an antelope floor, so he wants me to layoff the wildlife.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Perfect...I was going to suggest getting a sham before picking the actual fabric....but, of course, you're already on the case...pun intended!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tee hee AnnieD

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

Try searching for "persimmon." This is one of my favorite colors of all time and it's baaaaaaack.

And, you can always waste lots of time at this site:
    http://www.robertallenoutlet.com/searches/search_product_finder.aspx

Here is a link that might be useful: Persimmon search results

This post was edited by kitchendetective on Mon, Oct 6, 14 at 13:40

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ahh, KD, that's such a wonderful, name. Like calling purple Aubergine.

From here on, I am dubbing it the Persimmon Room, regardless of the random color names that might actually attach to the fabric I ultimately choose. It is most apposite!

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

I do like the top middle for its color and shape with the linear stripes elsewhere.
    But then I also really like the sea horse fabric. Itôs fun but not too cutesy. Can you use them both? The others are either too red or orange, and/or too flowery or kitcheny or.....

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, NoSoccer, I did get samples of both the Top left and Top center. KSWL recommended using them both. I like that idea because I also have aqua in the hall bath on that floor and in the MBR suite.

So soon, I will have the fabrics and the pillow sham in hand, and take it from there.

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

Have you seen the Currey and Co. La Mer sconces?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I had trouble sleeping last night...very unrestful...and for some reason around 1am, I woke up and remembered a jigsaw puzzle I had done about 30 years ago of a chinese dragon...it had a navy background, and a persimmon colored dragon, and it had seafoam green and gold as accents too...so lovely.

Not sure if chinese dragons are in or out of your scope, but I wanted to share the night time inspiration. I'd never find a fabric to match the puzzle, but they do come in some interesting colors, and silk brocade would make lovely WT or pillows. (Somehow lobsters would bother me, but dragons not so much. Go figure.)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

KD, Yes, I have seen them. Colors would be great. I don't think i want sconces; too modern in a way?

Annie,
    Have your tried Chamomile tea? I love Scalamandre's coral dragon fabric, in fact i have it right here on my desk. But, somehow I just can't figure out why dragons? That part doesn't work for me.

Thx anyway. Chamomile would be quicker, though. : )

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

No, I haven't...I'll have to try it. Thanks. I think my thyroid meds are off and I feel like I'm strung on wire.

Be that as it may, why dragons? Well, cap'n's manse and the tie in to the beautiful imports they made scads of money on from ... at that time... the orient. Or think of them not as dragons, but as sea monsters...

From wikipedia:
    Chinese dragons traditionally symbolize potent and auspicious powers, particularly control over water, rainfall, hurricane, and floods. The dragon is also a symbol of power, strength, and good luck for people who are worthy of it.

So that's appropriate for a beach house...

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

The scalamandre dragons are really nice...and I prefer a more intricate reference than an obvious one like lobsters or coral.

Schumacher also has dragon fabric, and then there's this Robert Allen one I hadn't seen before.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That is such a pretty fabric!

• bbstx
    9 years ago

What about Schumacher's Chiang Mai Dragon in the aquamarine colorway ($150/yd)
    {{!gwi}}

or the very similar but much lower priced ($22/yd) Robert Allen Dragon Slub in Aquatint (same as above but different colorway)
    {{!gwi}}

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

FYI, I just started looking at the Nov House Beautiful and they have a lot of coral, including the bedding that you are so interested in. In one room, they mix it with navy, in another with teal.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Annie,

Yes, I saw that! Look, at me, I am such a trendsetter, HB has a whole spread on coral.

I thought i'd vacillated enough on this forum so I spared you all the last. When I finally got the sham, and put it with the dragon fabric, it went so perfectly, I was sold.

To wit:

So I am doing a an oversized neckroll pillow in the dragon, and roman shade. The bedding is the coral-banded Serena and Lily. The rug stays. I chose a navy and white arabesque for the window seat. Only problem I have now is the blue/white kantha arrived and the white is very grey. So I am back on the hunt for a blue (toward navy but not terribly dark) and true white casual throw.

Moodboard:

As far as the back, adjoining guest room, I was at the house Monday and the fact is when you are in that room you won't even see any of the dragon or coral in the front guest room. I don't think it will drive the design too much. Right now I am leaning toward white blousy curtains maybe with just a bit of trim on the leading edge (i think Marcolo suggested that), coupled perhaps with this Missoni inspired rug I've always liked. I think it pulls in the bedding colors but also sort of ages them nicely.

P.S. Don't look Mom, I know I need to iron all this bedding!

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I love it all MTN. You have such great taste. I love how the rug from the back guest room picks up the colors in the bedding. Just beautiful!

• funkyart
    9 years ago

I absolutely adore the coral and navy bedroom-- every choice is perfect. I will glaze over a lot arabesque patterns but the one you selected is gorgeous. Is it a raw linen background?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, Funky. Actually I don't have a sample so can't really tell you why the windowseat fabric has that texture.

Thanks, Hollykay, I really have embraced color in our beachhouse (albeit with mostly white walls!) and I am having fun with it so far.