Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_10471126

Hardware & corbels

User
9 years ago

Kitchen in progress. - Buying ss GE Cafe appliances. I'm staining the island for now. Tore the black base off (island) and am replacing with stained.
{{!gwi}}

Staining the cabinets this color.
Twtn's kitchen.
{{!gwi}}

This will be the new wall color. BM Shaker Beige. Beadboard splash will possibly be Shaker at 50%.
Here's a photo of Shaker Beige.
{{!gwi}}

Fabrics. Toile for window treatment. Plaid for chairs
{{!gwi}}

The questions...
Hardware:
While I like the orb hardware, once the cabinets are dark I think a satin nickel would be nice. Maybe a pewter. I obviously don't mind a mix of metals. Thought on hardware?

Iron corbels: (note - I want something, but it will be decorative not structural.)
dimensions - 13.5"L x 7"D x 1.5"W
I still like them, but will I in 5 years? Don't know. It will be easier to change them now than later though.
{{!gwi}}

If I change the corbels I was considering something like this in oak, of course.
{{!gwi}}

I'm going to have holes to patch if I remove the corbels. I ordered Famowood wood filler. - good reviews

The lighting will stay at this point. Not sure when I'll change them as it's just not a priority. Stools also stay, but I can change their appearance.

I feel like if I change the hardware color, the corbels should go.

I chose a beadboad splash because I like it, but I also didn't want tile because of my flooring. I'm not going for a country look though or even cottage really. I guess I'd call my taste traditional with a masculine bent.

Here are some LR pics if that helps.
{{!gwi}}
{{!gwi}}

Thanks!

This post was edited by sheesharee on Fri, Oct 17, 14 at 22:27

Comments (33)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Maybe you could decide about the corbels AFTER you stain the island.

Once that new range goes in, that light over the island is really going to appear dated IMO. You might want to address that before the corbels.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Beverly - you're right. I'll have to change the light over the DR table too so that bites. There's no stain under the corbels. So I'll have to remove them, fill the holes, stain to match the island, gel stain and hopefully I can get everything to blend. So if I were going to keep them, I wouldn't have to mess with that.

Part of the reason I don't want to change the light is there's nothing, in my price range or that's suitable for the house, that I really like.

Really I'm aware that my house is 'dated'. I don't care about being trendy, but things are starting to look a little tired to my eye and there are changes I'd like to make. However, I can't go replacing everything and a little updating somewhere will make the rest look more tired or stand out more. Then the cycle of decorating continues. So I find myself struggling with what freshening changes are worth it.

This post was edited by sheesharee on Sat, Oct 18, 14 at 13:36

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And here's the other side. The rug stays. The hutch stays and won't be painted (sentimental). The art is down. Never loved the pairing, but got used to seeing it and it filled up the wall space better. So yeah, I'm not sure really what to
    {{!gwi}}

I'd love to decorate with reds, (creams, blues, rusts...) but my house is filled with a lot of burgundy/cranberry. I know this isn't really relevant to the thread - just thoughts for later when we install hardwood.

• nanny2a
    9 years ago

I donâÂÂt see âÂÂdatedâÂÂ, yet agree that the bead board, which looks great, BTW, and darker stain on your cabinets will be a lovely refreshening. I think the toile relaxed roman shade and plaid seat covers will also be a lovely new elements for your kitchen, and I love the shaker beige to tie in with the color in the toile.

Stained corbels would look great with the island, too! When you mention hardware, are you talking about your cabinet pulls or knobs? If so, my choice would be pewter, which I think pairs well with stainless and, to me, is preferable to orb for your style and current plans. I canâÂÂt wait to see it when itâÂÂs all done!

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nanny - Thank you! I mean both the pulls and knobs. I like the mix of knobs and cup pulls, but was thinking the orb color will blend in too much.

I'm seeing finishes called pewter and antique pewter.
    This is what I thought a pewter finish was.
    {{!gwi}}

I thought this was a satin nickel, but it was called pewter here.
    {{!gwi}}

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Pewter is always pretty, IMO.

Also IMO, don't like corbels under island surfaces because they totally get in the way of knees and are a pain. If you put corbels on there for esthetic reasons, I'd get corner corbels. Also, I like the wrought iron corbel much better than the maple, unless you're planning on painting the maple black.

• tinam61
    9 years ago

I think chrome/pewter/nickel or any of the "silver" colored handles/pulls would look best with your darker cabinets. Once you do that, I wonder if you could paint the light fixtures and maybe change out globes so the lights would tie in with the updating a little better??? I see it done all the time on blogs.

I do like the wood corbels you showed and think they'd look great.

The living room looks really pretty!!

tina

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

What about spray-painting the black iron supports you have now to match the hardware you select? The "metal" finishes that rustoleum has are really pretty good. I spray painted a bunch of things "oil-rubbed bronze" and they actually look "oil rubbed bronze".

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I think I've looked at your kitchen a hundred times and am excited to see the progress. Those metal brackets have always bothered me. They feel very garden/plant hanger to me. Or as bookcase brackets. They don't have enough heft to make them believable as a countertop support.

I have seen dark pulls on dark stained cabinets and it looks very rich and sophisticated. AAMOF, I just scrolled up and noticed your entertainment center has dark hardware.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Maybe some options for your lighting

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tibbrix - I'm not sure how I'd attach a corner corbel with the corner wood pieces. If I bought wood corbels, I'd get oak and stain it to match. That was just the stock photo for that profile.

Tina - Thanks! I've seen a lot of lights updated, but it's usually spray painting something bright brass to orb or a color. I'm pretty good with spray paint/glaze/rub n buff, but I can't really picture that fixture in another color and I'm not sure what other globes I would use. It would probably be easier to replace it in this case.

Hoovb - I could do that. The only other color I could picture them in besides black would be orb.

May - Me too! I promise I'll post photos when I'm done. I think I could make a decision much easier once I see it in place. I'm just excited and impatient which is why I'm posting. Trying to find answers sooner I guess! Unfortunately the appliances will be one of the last things.

I guess I'll remove the corbels and stain for now.

Another though - if I change the hardware to something silver and remove the corbels the stools are black. Hmm.. there's black in the counter and rug though. .....Getting ahead again. Staining now, then paint, then appliances.

Stay tuned!

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Beverly - I like the two pendants, but unsure on the drum.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Sheesh, here is an example of a wrought iron corner shelf bracket

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Were all the ones you posted for the island area?

Here's a few I had in my lighting folder. Don't know that I think any of them work together.
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tibb - Hmm, I think if I remove the corbels I have I'd like to switch out to wood.

More lights.
    I do really like this style.
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

Don't really love any of these though. My foyer has a vintage brass candelabra chandelier.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Out of the ones I posted, I like these the best.
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Found this site with a huge selection of corbels.

Here is a link that might be useful: corbels and brackets

• auntie_ellen boston
    9 years ago

What about the tin behind the stove? Did I miss that you're not doing that? Everything you've picked will look great! Personally I like the oak corbels better than the metal ones. Can't wait to see how it turns out!

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tibb- Thanks for the link! Lots is right. I like that they have photos showing different angles. Some even show them on an island which is very helpful.

Auntie - Thanks! Ah yes, I am going to do something behind the stove. I'm either going to use tin trimmed out, glass, or maybe Lucite. I can't seem to get specifics for the stove as to how hot that area gets. Acrylic latex paint is fire resistant to 200 degrees. So if I install tin and add paint (which that's the only way I'll do that) is it then only safe to 200 degrees? Do you know what I mean? I contacted a company about Lucite (a brand of acrylic) and they said this,

"This could be used behind a stove. Its not fire rated, so probably would not pass fire codes if being used in a restaurant. If its just in your home it would be ok though. It can get up to 180 degrees before it starts to soften. As far as attaching to the wall, you would have to hard fasten it, or use something like liquid nails to adhere it to the wall."

I just didn't get a fuzzy feeling about that. Only 180 degrees before it softens? I'm not sure where to buy glass. GE directed me to their specs which is clear as mud. I just keep thinking what about when you clean the oven? It gets HOT in there and the air will be going through those back air vents.

Top view.
    {{!gwi}}

This post was edited by sheesharee on Sat, Oct 18, 14 at 21:52

• alex9179
    9 years ago

I freely admit that my taste is not the norm, so my opinion doesn't always jive with others.

If you have dark cabs, I'd like to see a contrast. Your preference for nickel/pewter is right on. I have distressed pewter for my (white) cab hardware so, of course, I think it's pretty. I'd consider a dulled nickel/pewter finish for the metal, or a dulled brass. Your shades are yellowish and I'd be inclined to stay in that family for the metal finish...unless you change it all. Then, I like the clear glass urn shape from the foyer you posted in the Shaker Beige example.

The corbels. I don't think they're important and would put similar stained ones at the ends of your island to blend.

The lantern trend is pretty but it's so plentiful these days. Your style is not the current trend, thank goodness. I love the rich colors and fabrics!

Nice to "see" you, by the way! Are you enjoying motherhood? I kind of freaked out. But then there were 3, I had a week or two to prepare, and we thought they'd go back to their mom ;) They're pretty awesome when they aren't driving me crazy. Makes for funny stories, though!

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Alex - Hi! Nice to see you too! Little Shee chats up a storm now so that always keeps things interesting. :) We asked everyone we came in contact with tonight what their name was..... We're planning to expand after the new year. I remember you saying about the additions to your family. I'm glad it's going well!

I like contrast too which is why I'm a little nervous with the current game plan. My preference would be for light counters and light or wood flooring, but it is what it is. Contrast is the reason I was considering the hardware color change. I'm hoping between that and the new paint it will be enough for me. I still have the birdcage style antique brass hardware from before I changed to the orb. It blends into the light oak too much, but wouldn't with something darker. I like the style of my orb hardware better, though.
    I really like that urn shape from the foyer pic too, but it looks like such a pain to clean dust and bugs. Ok, that sounds bad about the bugs. We're not dirty, but we end up with an occasional outside insect from time to time.

I agree the lantern is more trendy and wondering how long it would take me to tire of any new lighting. What I have is I think 5 or 6 years old.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Took a corbel off. I remember now we attached wood to the inside of the cabinet for support since they are iron and quite heavy. I didn't remove those screws yet. Hopefully that Famowood wood filler is awesome. I'm probably definitely going to need to put something else back up to cover some of this mess.
    {{!gwi}}

• jerseygirl_1
    9 years ago

Hi Shee,
    Do you really need corbels? There is not much of an overhang. Do you like having them?

My vote is for the pewter hardware. Don't worry about the foyer Chandy metal matching anything in the kitchen. I like the toile fabric. Would like to see that in a roman shade. I would suggest looking at some sumbrella fabrics or something with texture in a faux leather or ultra suede (there are some great looking ones out there) for your seats that would be more child proof and will clean easier.

I was at a friends new home in SC this summer. She had cushions for her kitchen chairs made in faux ultra suede alligator that were fantastc looking.

Gosh, I remember when you bought your home. Time just flies by.

• erinsean
    9 years ago

When we built our island we put three iron corbels (like yours but painted silver) on the seating side. We found out that our grandson kept scratching his leg on the iron corbel on the end when he was sitting on the stool. We had to remove it so am sure a wooden one would be better.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jerseygirl - The overhang is 11". I like the look of them, but maybe I'll change my mind once the iron ones are off for a while.

Recently Trailrunner posted a photo of a chair she recovered with faux leather. It was a fabric actually and looked really great. I already have the plaid though and since everything is going to be pretty brown I wanted to inject some more color. So far food, etc. hasn't been an issue with the old chair fabric so I'm hoping that holds true for this one!
    Yes, way back then! You were one of the first posters I remember helping with my LR. I was looking for an entertainment stand and bought my gondo one from CL. Ha, the scale is so wrong, but I didn't know any better at the time. Oh well. I still think it's pretty and it's very solid. I've learned a lot from being here and about myself over the years.

Grandmaof3 - With only the two so far it hasn't been too big of an issue. I'll definitely keep wooden ones out to the sides though if I replace the current ones for that reason.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Dun dun daaaaaaaaaaaa....
    {{!gwi}}

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Quick update.

This stuff is so easy to work with. I read that over and over, but am still surprised. And one coat looks so much better. (Will be using more.) It added just enough red and now the wood works with the counters and floors. Very excited.

• User
    9 years ago

Great news about the gel stain success, Shee! I love what you have chosen and would only chime in to agree with using the maple corbels stained to match the cabinetry and also to suggest antique brass for your hardware. It's making a comeback so your kitchen would be on the leading edge of that (dare I say it?) trend :-)

Your fabrics are great and I'd use the houndstooth check cut on the bias as a 1" or 1.5 inch border on the sides and bottom of the roman shade (width of border dependent upon the overall width of the shade). That's one of the little details that looks expensive but isn't.

Can't wait to see it all come together! I know exactly what you mean about updating bits of decor here and there and the impact it can have on other areas. I have a traditional style also and care more about comfort and that indefinable look and feel that is pleasing to all the senses even though it may not be au courant. IMO that's what makes a home uniquely ones own, and you're doing a wonderful job of that.

• jerseygirl_1
    9 years ago

Shee,

Glad you are having an easy time with the stain. Can't wait to see the results.

I just measured our countertop overhang . It's 9 inches and we do not have any type of corbel. It's been fine for 8 years with people hanging on it during dinner parities. No issues.

You have an island which is much deeper and has much more support. If your choice is to not use any type of corbel, I believe your countertop will be strong enough.

That's JMHO. I'm the less is more type.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

KSWL and I are on the same page. Yes to maple corbels and a big yes to brass fixtures. I wanted to use antique or burnished brass in my kitchen but it didn't look good with my cabinets so I used a burnished bronze.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kswl - Thank you!
    You said maple corbels, did you mean oak? That was just the stock photo, I was going to order wood corbels in oak to stain.
    I believe I will do that with the roman. I bought some cheap practice fabric. I can rig an outside mount (still below the crown) so I'll try that as well as an inside to see what I like better.
    My old hardware, that I still have, was antique brass bird cage style. I did think about using them again. I really like the look of cup pulls though and I'm not sure if I'd like the birdcage knobs mixed with cup pulls. I'll have to do some searches. My hutch has antique brass hardware and all my doors are builder brass,

Jerseygirl - I filled the holes on the island and the Famowood did a good job and did stain, but it's still not flawless. The holes are more noticeable on the one side (color issue) and it's the side you can see from one end of the couch in the LR. My eyes go right to it. The darker stain should help cover it somewhat, but I'll probably end up putting something back to help hid some of the holes.

Holly - You're saying maple too. Maple with oak cabinets? Hmm...

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I goofed, I should have said oak corbels to match your cabinets. What can I say? It's Monday and my brain is out to lunch.

I love your home. I have admired your living room many times and I think your entertainment center is lovely.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Holly - Aw, thank you.

A chatty update:
    I absolutely under estimated how long this project is going to take. I knew it was big, but the reality has set in. I enjoy doing the doors (for now), but the restâ¦not so much. And that island⦠l.i.t.t.l.e, t.i.n.y grooves. ItâÂÂs funny, I actually thought I would get one coat on the backside of the doors and everything else in one evening. I was so confident about this. (I tend to be overly optimistic with projects.) It took three hours to do the backs of the doors. I only have about that much time in the evenings to work on it and IâÂÂm ready for a break after that. ItâÂÂs easy, but quite time consuming. All gel stain stories I read had everything done in a week or two. They either didnâÂÂt have many cabinets or worked pretty much non-stop. At the rate IâÂÂm going dry time isnâÂÂt an issue. IâÂÂm working on the front of the doors tonight and coat one will be complete.

IâÂÂm hoping to get away with only two coats, but needed three on my sample pieces. The color goes from blah to rich. ItâÂÂs kind of amazing. Then I was planning four coats of poly. IâÂÂm very glad I picked water based for that because of clean up and fumes. The gel stain sort of smells like cherry at first. Kind of nice, but the chemical smell is right behind it.

To my surprise, the doors being off the cabinets arenâÂÂt bothering me. I better organized the insides for the time being and thatâÂÂs helped a lot. The kitchen actually looks bigger even though I wouldnâÂÂt want it this way long term. I was concerned about the cats and DS messing with the cabinets and whatâÂÂs inside, but that hasnâÂÂt been an issue either.

IâÂÂm pretty sure IâÂÂm not going to use orb hardware because I want more contrast. IâÂÂm excited to get painting. We are going to change the lights. I thought DH wouldnâÂÂt be on board, but he was good with it. IâÂÂll be asking for help with that when everything is all done and the appliances are in place. I think DH and I will be very pleased when itâÂÂs finished.

Oh, IâÂÂm hosting Thanksgiving in this mess. :) Ah, well.