Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pauly_2007

Exterior Color, 1st time home builder...

pauly_2007
16 years ago

My husband and I are building a home. I never knew it would be so difficult for me to pick a color for the exterior home (already have had an interior bad color experience). I really don't have much of an "artistic" eye for these things. I don't want to commit the same mistake I made for the interior of the home. We would love to get ideas for the exterior color(s). Below is a picture of the home...

Comments (40)

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

I love the coloring you have! No?

Sand for a front yard! How interesting is that around here :) Hmmm, but it looks like the countryside behind you. Generally, where is this?

Great house!

• chicoryflower
    16 years ago

What do you think of these?

• chicoryflower
    16 years ago

Of course we're all over the new construction! : )

Don't mind me over here. : D

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

I imagine this type of color, typical to Mediterranean style homes, although this is the sun-faded version, I think :)

{{!gwi}}

• acoreana
    16 years ago

This is a home DBF sold a while back. When I saw your roof color I thought that this color might look nice, although it is a bold choice :). Let me know if you need the paint color info. Your house is beautiful, congrats.

• acoreana
    16 years ago

another option...this is not DBF's listing so I can't get color name for you, but with talented folks like chicory & squirrel on the job they can probably approximate it for you. Love the details in your windows!

{{!gwi}}

• pauly_2007
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hello! I forgot to mention the color on the home is the "PRIMER". Squirrel, I really like the brown color and I also like Acoreana's DBF home that was sold. The corner of the home has what is called "coins". I would like to "accent" those coins and the pillars. I am liking the trim around DBF's sold home. I wonder what that will look like on my home? Would you be able to show me what SW Mannered Gold would like on the home? The home is located in a Country-like surrounding. Believe it or not, it's in Florida!

Below you will see two colors I have tested on my walls. The right square is what is called SW Golden Fleece. The left square is called SW Mannered gold. A friend of mine has SW Golden Fleece on her home but it is not coming out the same color on my walls (err)! I will also post a picture of my friends exterior wall color. Acoreana, what is the color on DBF's sold home?...

My friend's SW Golden Fleece

• pauly_2007
    Original Author
    16 years ago

BTW, Acoreana thank you for your kind comments. The windows are my favorite! It's just been stressful for me because of all the color choices and all the extras inside the home.

Being as this is my first built home, I really want everything to come out looking like the beautiful "model" homes I see in GW. Putting that aside, I want to be proud of what this home looks like. So far, things are not going as I would have liked them to be (interior). It's fixable thou.

Thanks to everyone else who is helping me out on this project.

• acoreana
    16 years ago

DBF was the listing agent on that house, I *wish* he had owned it! :)

He's going to put in a call to the builder and find out the color for me. Nice excuse to touch base.

I'll let you know when we hear back. The builder's wife picked it so she'll know.

I'm going to take a looky-loo around see if I come across any w/ the coins painted in the accent color, rather than body color.

With all the hammering above my head (new roof going on) I can't get any real work done anywho!

• acoreana
    16 years ago

Now that you've seen that second house, and I don't think it was what you were looking for, I deleted it because it is not DBF's listing...overly cautious, better safe than sorry, blah blah blah :). If you need to see it again let me know.

Just wanted to explain the red x,

:)

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Sorry, I got sidetracked! Started with acoreana's golden picture and then started doodling around -- didn't get to the Mannered Gold swatch on your house! Tried a variety of things and worked my way into a Mediterranean style garden and grays and whites, too!

Tried to put these in a slideshow, but it just isn't getting into one.

#5a

#5b

#5c

• teedup1
    16 years ago

Picture #4.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

I love that one too!

• callie8799
    16 years ago

I like to vote for #18... the color of the walls are great, I'm glad the "cornerstones" were highlighted... and the landscaping (esp. the fountain in the front) is wonderful...

this could be the monitor, but could the front door be a bit redder to tie in the paint color and roof? I may be way off,...

Squirrel, do you do this for fun or is this your profession? You do awesome work and such a great eye for details that make everything so warm and inviting....

• acoreana
    16 years ago

Oh my gosh...thanks for bringing this thread back up. DBF is heading down to one of his listings on the Gulf today, which happens to be right next door to this builder's home! I'm going to remind him right now. We've been working the *sale from HECK* along with our normal day to day issues and got sidetracked. Hope to have an answer for you today,

Nat

• acoreana
    16 years ago

Color is "Island Sand" by Ralph Lauren/Behr.

Squirrelheaven, your amazing :)!

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Pauly is new, sure hope she comes back. We need her credit card!

{{!gwi}}

• mary_228
    16 years ago

IMO, using a different color paint on the corners makes the house too busy. It seems that your windows, with the fancy top part, are the focal point. The coining (sp) will show up just fine in the same color paint as the rest of the house.

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

I like the coins painted an accent color. Squirrel, I love all the landscaping your're doing. It looks fantastic. I prefer the 1st of out of this last batch but I think I like the golds better from above!

I hope Pauly comes back too! I'd love to see what she decides.

Lindy

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Thanks, Lindy! Having a lot of fun with the garden :) I think the ironwork should work better with the window pattern, but haven't found the right image. I do like some curvy filigree in there though :) What do you think?

I think she probably is leaning towards the golds too. Her interior is much that same color though, which might be a bit much. Decisions, decisions!

• msrose
    16 years ago

Pauly - What did you ever decide on the inside of your house? Did you paint the ceiling white?

Laurie

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Changing the color back to gold, for Lindy :)

{{!gwi}}

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Looks like I managed to get your roof color warmer in the last shot, and the skies are stormy :(

Here's the Mannered Gold swatch from your house. I don't know this color IRL, but I think it might be a good idea to get a Sherwin Williams color consultant out to help choose the shade so you don't end up with something too bright and intense. Colors usually go up exaggerated and the yellows are even harder to gauge. People here have said it's only $40.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Oops, the pic above is actually the Golden Fleece swatch from your house.

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

I totally agree about the Golds. My next door neighbor had to change her color choice after the swatch went up because it was way too intense. But when you get the right one, it's pretty. I like the one you just did Squirrel. I wonder what happened to Pauly?

• msrose
    16 years ago

Pauly? Are you there? We're all curious to know what you decided.

Laurie

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

She was over on Paint too. Looks like she hasn't been around since the 25th and was going with the Golden Fleece, which was coming out lighter (last virtual) than her neighbor's (posted earlier).

• msrose
    16 years ago

Thanks for the update, Squirrel!

Laurie

• mimi_2006
    16 years ago

Wow squirrel, those are beautiful! I have a different opinion here and prefer the ones that are not so gold. The red roof/gold paint combination just comes out looking yellow and red to me. I love the ones around #7, #9, #18. A lot through there are so similar but I like those colors much better with either the terra cotta colored door or the blue door. Great house and I do like the accent color on the corners or coins. Beautiful windows!

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Thanks! I like the neutrals best also, or a soft gold on the beige side like #3 or two pics up at 2:04. I hope the Fleece isn't coming out as yellow as the virtual from her swatch. I think that's way too bright and yellow. The interior of her house is much the same color (ceilings too), which she wasn't real pleased with. I'm sure the sample cards look much softer.

Hope all is going well and she's happy!

• pauly_2007
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LOL, I am sooooo sorry I have not been in here for a bit. I must say, I feel really bad about not being here. Not making any excuses but, I've been stressed out about this whole ordeal (having nightmares about this). Also, both my boys have been and still are very sick. I have not had much time to come to the computer and follow up with you all. Again, I am sorry.

I want to thank all of you for helping me out with this project. It really does mean a lot to me. Those pictures really give me a better vision.

So, here is the update...
    I went with the SW Golden Fleece color for the exterior. The side coins are an off white color. Actually, the exterior color looks like Squirrels #5a photo. I will admit (only to my buddies here in GW) that I am not fond of how it came out. It looks "okay". I will be making a trip to the home just to take a picture of it and post it in here.

Interior home: Great news! After consulting with a "2nd" opinion professional painter, He pointed out a few drywall & texture problems. Unacceptable problems that only one with experience would see. He told me to tell the builder to come out to the home and see for himself. The sloppy job done in my interior walls. So, I did.

Builder went to the home and I pointed out to him all the unacceptable walls, which included the great room ceiling hahahaha!! Turns out that some walls (drywall & framing) AND ceiling have to be redone ~~"Do over"~~, YeY!! Which means that they will have to repaint the ceiling at no ADDITIONAL cost to me ;0)

Guess what color I am getting for the cieling, yup'ers.... DOVER WHITE! However, this will only be in the great room. I am fine with that because the great room is pretty much the majority of the home. I feel good about having someone, not affiliated with the builder, come out & give me great advise.

Landscaping: I absolutely love, love, love the last photo Squirrel posted. I can't wait to show it to my husband! It is totally what I had in mind. I just love every detail you put into the landscaping. WoW, just amazing. You watch and see how I am going to do the landscape just as your photo shows.

Timing: Unfortunately,my home will not be completed in time for us to move in for Christmas (Errrr). Looks like maybe by February we will get the keys :(

As you know, I am new with GW. I am still trying to figure out how I can go back to the threads I have looked into. Right now, I go to each page and look for the subject (time consuming). Is there an easier way to look into threads I have looked into?

I can't express to you how excited I am to have read all your comments in this thread. Makes me feel really important , LOL. ~Muah~

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

Yay! I'm glad you get to change the ceiling color. I'm sure you'll be happy with the dover white. And maybe the exterior color will look better with landscaping. I love Squirrel's 5a picture above, so I bet it looks great. Can't wait to see your photos!

As for keeping track of threads. I do what you described...just look through the subjects until I see one that I was interested in. I rarely go back more than 2 or 3 pages and I bet I miss some things. The only other thing that I've done occassionally is to search my own screen name and see if there are any threads that I didn't go back to. It is very time consuming. Maybe someone else has another idea.

Good Luck on your house Pauly and sorry to hear about your sons illnesses.

Lindy

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Pauly finally came back! Looking forward to seeing the pics. Give yourself time to adjust to the real-life version vs. your expectations. You may just end up loving it! Especially once the landscaping fills things out.

Doodling away finally hit the mark! in the last virtual. Always amazing :)

• pauly_2007
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I went by the house today. I am really disappointed with how the exterior color came out. I am wondering if I should add another coat of the golden fleece? Keep in mind the builder is considering the "primer" the 1st coat and the paint color a 2nd coat.

Yes, I know he is cheating me out on the 1st coat- 2nd coat paint. The primer should just be what it is... PRIMER. Not 1st coat. Anyway, I have to take care of it on my own.

Below you will see a picture of my house as it is now. Excuse the trucks parked in front. The drywall guys were there today fixing the ceiling.

My house in "Golden Fleece"

Different view

Now here is the interesting part. This is my neighbors Golden Fleece. Does it look like the same color to you?

I just want to scream!!!! ((( AHHHHHHHH,ERRRRRRRRR )))!!!

• acoreana
    16 years ago

Hellooooo there!

Hope your kids are feeling better!

It looks great. Once the sand has been covered over by landscaping, lawn, etc., it will look phenomenal.

Are you putting in any palms?

I like the way squirrel had the entry columns in the trim color, maybe that's what looks different?

I really like the way it came out. I know there are always two sides to every story, but your builder sounds like PIA to deal with. I'm not an expert, but hopefully someone knowledgable will have input about the number of coats. Actually, this thread is a big pic heavy (i.e. long load time if you don't have high speed) so you might be better off starting a new thread and asking about it.

Best of luck!

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

I think it looks great Pauly. The only difference I see in your neighbors house is the lighting. The picture is closer with some shadowing. In your house, the picture was taken from far away with the bright blue sky in the background. It's just the lighting that is playing tricks on you. My house color looks so different between night, day, bright sunshine and clouds. Some days it's gray and some it's brown.

I agree about changing the front columns to the trim color too! Beautiful house!

• pauly_2007
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I just realized something. You know, I've been so focused on the color of my home; I failed to realize what a beautiful day it was today. The sky looked so pretty this afternoon. It almost looks like an artist painted the sky into the background of my picture ;0)

Maybe a palm tree or two would look good. Not exactly sure about the landscape. Now that the painting is done, my next mission is the flooring. Thank God I already picked what we like for the floors! I'm just curious to see how it's going to come out. Oh,... my cabinets too. My goodness, it's never ending!

I was really happy to see the drywall guys re-texturing the ceiling today. If the builder had some kind of "brains", he would of saved himself a whole lot of money & time had he just painted my ceilings dover white from the beginning as I requested! Since he wanted to be a PIA, I found a reason for him to re-do most of my drywall (at no extra charge to me).

I was told that the "sagging" on my ceiling would have not been seen had it been painted "white". Apparently it's all do to the color a ceiling is painted. "The darker you go, the more flaws you will see"- per professional painter.

Thanks for the color comments. I'm going to have to take new pictures of the home. This time no cars in front. Then I will start a new thread.

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

Pauly, take another one close up too that is a similar shot to your neighbors. I bet they are closer than you think!

• chicoryflower
    16 years ago

Pauly, I don't think the color is bad at all, but I think you need some color on that front door and the columns should match the accent stone. Just my 2 cents. Do I know what I'm talking about though? Likely not. : D

• pauly_2007
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Better picture! no trucks this time.

Below you will see a better picture of my home in Golden Fleece. The picture after that is a photo of my neighbor's house in Golden Fleece. Do you think it looks the same??

Shall I add a 2nd coat? Here is what I am thinking... My neighbor's color is far much "richer" which is why I see a difference. I am thinking that if I add a 2nd coat to my house, it will look just as rich. Right now, my house paint looks washed out. What do you all think? I am posting a new thread. Subject: Exterior Golden Fleece ??