Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beaglesdoitbetter1

New family room. Blank slate.

We're closing on our new FL house on November 13. I'm getting ready to pre-order couches for the house and I am starting from a blank slate for the living room as I got rid of all of the furniture that was in the old Florida house.

Over the long-term, I would like to close up the 2 windows over the fireplace and make that more of a feature. Right now, I'm not doing any type of major remodeling/ construction. I just want to make this room attractive and comfortable and highlight the existing fireplace as much as possible.

These are the pictures from the listing. Looking down on the room:

This is the view out the double doors beyond the pool:

I am liking this couch minus the red pillows:

With these chairs:

And this rug:

But I'm not sure if the green will go with the tan. I really like the bird theme of the chairs because there are a lot of birds that visit the lake outside the door and because the glass doors to the house have a bird theme.

Do you think that this will all go OK? If so, any suggestions on coffee tables or ottomans.

If not, I am open to suggestions if you think other things will look better. The only rule is that we must have 2 couches and I don't want to spend more than $1,000 per couch since this is a vacation house on a lake w/ a pool w/ dogs that swim and w/ guests that will be visiting, sometimes when we are not there. I'd rather replace couches every few years than spend a huge amount on couches for this room (I've already ordered a Drexel Heritage formal living room set for the other room)

I also don't want to paint or replace any flooring. The flooring and paint job are newly done and are beautiful.

Comments (43)

• nutsaboutplants
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I like the sofa and the cushions you've chosen. The mauve in the chairs don't seem to mesh with the warmer tones of the rest of your selections (unless the colors aren't showing accurately on my monitor). I'd choose a different rug probably because I am not fond of orangish beige, but that's purely subjective. It's a nice rug you've chosen. Look forward to seeing your new space evolve.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

That's an interesting view ... What is that exactly we are looking at? Is it walkable?

What an airy room with all the windows!

Will the paint stay? Do you know that color?

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

nutsaboutplants I also considered this chair, but I really like the birds. Do you like this one better?

mtnrdredux, that's the picture of the lake you can see out of the big door in the room. I believe you can walk up to it. However, it is outside of the pool area and main area. Here's a better picture that I took when I was there, I was just trying to use listing pics before so I didn't have to upload. But I guess that is not the best representation of what you actually see when you look out since that's more close up.

The paint is staying for now, it is done through the entire open floor plan and I don't feel like changing it. I don't know what it is called. It is a very neutral color.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is another sofa I am considering for the room. Does this look better w/ the tan? I would not use these pillows:

• nutsaboutplants
    9 years ago

Love that second chair, but with your first sofa and cushions, I like this fabric that I found on etsy. Same family of colors and it has birds too. (searched for something cream and coral with birds.) Just for fun, want to share it with you. Hope you don't mind

https://www.etsy.com/listing/155194345/birds-fabric-coralorangeblue-greenred?ref=market

This post was edited by nutsaboutplants on Thu, Oct 30, 14 at 23:40

• ratherbesewing
    9 years ago

Is the flooring made of wood or tile? The floor, rug and sofa are all so beige--it's impossible to tell on my monitor if they all work together.

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

The OP said the light green sofa, minus the red cushions. I think the sofa, rug and chair will look nice. I love the second chair but it does not make me think of Florida lake house.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

A few comments:

I think the second sofa is more delicate and expensive looking than the first, so it gets my vote.

I like the taller bird chair, but I am not sure if it is too delicate or tall for the sofa, can you mock them up together? I am bad at mixing furniture heights in LR.

I like the rug, though not for the house. But I know you are going for something other than the common Floridian look, so I am trying to think of it in a more open minded way. Still not sure. I think it is still just too ornate. Just take it down one notch IMHO.

Lastly, history is littered with cast off furniture of people who mixed things that were "just neutrals". I think the color of your paint might be pretty peachy, but who can tell with light, 3rd generation photos, etc. If i were you, Id have my agent snap a few photos of the paint with BM color capture so I knew what color I was dealing with. THEN id pick upholstery and rugs.

Failing that, I'd get ....wait for it ... washable white slipcovers.

I'm glad you got the house you wanted and hope you have fun decorating it!

• awm03
    9 years ago

Wow, beagles, it looks spectacular. May we come visit around February when winter blues set in? That pool will cure any & all psychological ailments. :)

I don't have anything smart to add. Your tastes are wonderful anyway, and you'll make the room stunning on your own. Just be sure and post pictures of your progress!

• awm03
    9 years ago

Here's a rough mock-up

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

IMO you're really all over the place with your selections. Here is a mock up of what you have selected so far and it's not complementary to the architecture or scale of the room.

Here is a quick mock up using the Broyhill furntiure you selected. I picked some standard fabrics they offered on the website and combined it with a striped rug to keep the room a bit less formal, but more fun. The colors coordinate if you're going for a somewhat traditional or transitional style for your home. Where do you plan to place the TV. That seems paramount in your layout for the room.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I love the first sofa with the bird chairs (I love both the fabric and the chair style) but I'm not fond of that particular rug with it. On it's own the rug is lovely, though I don't think it ties the furniture together and looks discordant to me. It is so difficult to tell because computer monitors skew colors.

I agree with AWM that you have wonderful taste so whatever you decide on will be fabulous

• carolt924
    9 years ago

I like where Beverly is going with her last mock-up.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Beverly's mock up works very well but I think the OP is trying to do something more formal and more ornate, more to her tastes. Which I agree can be hard. I don't think one necessarily has to bow 100pct to the vernacular .

I'm reminded of a resort we used to go to a lot when the children were very young… It's off the coast of Miami and it's called fisher island. On the property was the former Vanderbilt estate and there were some old cottages I think from the turn-of-the-century that we used to rent. They were Floridian but they were very traditional and rather ornate interiors. Theyre what I thought of immediately. I'm going to look for some photos but I think I recall they remodeled recently…

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

I prefer the second sofa. I agree with Beverly that the bird chairs do not look comfortable for a family room...more for a formal LR. It looks like there is a lot of peach in the walls and floor and the rug, though pretty, will just fade away. I also think it is more suitable to a formal space.

I appreciate you don't want the typical Florida Golden Girls interior, but I think it still has to lean casual. Formal, traditional furniture and patterns will just be out of sync with the style of the home IMO.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Oh yeah, I went back and looked at the cottage we used to rent every year. It's all stripes and ikat now, but it used to be persians and antiques and bit of gilt. Yet terra cotta floors and potted palms and very Florida. That is what I an envisioning here.

Beagles, maybe the starting places is the rug. If you don't want a modern, casual rug (sisal, mandala, chevron, etc), then I think your choices will be unexpected and that is the place to start. Not to mention it is the hardest to find esp. within reasonable budget and durable for the FL envt.

• blfenton
    9 years ago

Either couch

The bird chair, not the red one

No, to the rug. The rug is all wrong. It's not you, it's too bland, too wishy-washy in it's depth of colour, it's not meshing with the outside.

For the rug, how about something with some blues and greens with a slightly more saturated colour to it.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks nutsaboutplants. That fabric is pretty. Maybe I could have some pillows made with it, if I decide to go with those colors anywhere in the house!

ratherbesewing the floor is travertine tile but dark hardwood going up the stairs. It is far more beige than I would have done if I was painting and installing floors, but it is all brand new and extremely nicely done so I want to work with it.

emmarene, the house is a house in Florida on a lake, but I don't think it is really what you would traditionally think of when you think of a Florida lake house, it that makes sense. Here is a picture, maybe that will help to explain what I mean:

mtnrdredux I knew you would suggest white washable slipcovers, LOL. I really don't want to get involved in that. I know slipcovers can be washed and are easy to keep clean, but we will only have cleaning help once a week in FL and I don't know how to do laundry so I think getting them washed regularly enough to keep them looking decent is going to be too much of a problem. I would love to find pictures like you were talking about of the cottages you were talking about. Will do some googling. You pretty much hit it right on the head what I am trying to do. Florida formal :)

awm03, you are welcome to come visit in February! Thank you so much for the mockup! I like the sofa and the chairs together, but this picture convinces me that mtnrdredux and everyone else who doesn't like the rug is right and the rug does not work.

beverly27 the red chair would be an alternative to the bird chair, I wouldn't use them together. If I went with the red chair, it would change the direction of the room to red. The second rug is not really my style, I think I do like a more formal look in general. The TV right now is going to go where they have the TV in their picture b/c that is currently the only real option. When I redo the fireplace, I will put a spot for the TV above it and angle the furniture. The room is open to the kitchen in the back area so there's really only one way to lay out the room.

Thanks holly-kay :) The rug will need to be used elsewhere in the house I think. Maybe the dining room.

Thanks CarolT924. As I mentioned above, I think that is too informal for my style.

joaniepoanie, did the picture of the house front change your opinion any on whether I can get away with formal? The bird chairs will likely be mostly decorative, people will be sitting on the two sofas primarily.

blfenton, I was trying to stay away from blue because I have so much in my PA house, I want to do something different.

Seems like the greenish sofa and bird chairs will work w/ a different rug. What about these possibilities:

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Beagles,

Would you couldn't consider something that is sort of a bridge between the simpler more modern more casual and that very traditional formal persian look… For example and I know this is sort of out there ...may be an animal print? Or maybe some sort of a colorful Paisley? I'm on my phone so I can't paste a picture but there's a dash and Albert one that kind of illustrates what I'm thinking of in re paisley

Here is a link that might be useful: Maybe something of this genre

• k9arlene
    9 years ago

Is your house in PA formal? If so, wouldn't it be fun to change things up in your vacation house? Having a completely different vibe than my permanent residence would be a welcome change.

• k9arlene
    9 years ago

Is your house in PA formal? If so, wouldn't it be fun to change things up in your vacation house? Having a completely different vibe than my permanent residence would be a welcome change.

• msmeow
    9 years ago

I am mostly a lurker here, but enjoy seeing everyone's decorating and reading the posts.

I'm jumping in to put another Florida opinion in here. LOL I've lived in FL all my life, and we have everything from beach shacks with sand all over the floors to Flagler and Ringling mansions, so if you want formal, go for it!

Someone mentioned needing a durable rug due to the climate, but if the rug is indoors the outside climate won't matter.

IMHO I love the original sofa and chairs together but I think a nice dark rug would look best with all the other neutral colors. Maybe a Persian type design with a dark green background instead of the light backgrounds.

Beagles, I love the lake but it sure looks close to the house! LOL I hope it doesn't have gators.

I assume the first photo is the current owner's setup? I can't imagine watching TV in a room with all those windows. It seems like even at night you'd have a lot of light coming in.

I can't wait to see your finished room!

Donna

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

mtnrdredux paisley-esque could work. I am not 100 percent set on a traditional. Animal print is a no, no and no way no day, LOL.

k9arlene, my house in PA is formal, yes. I can't go too casual because the room is open to the kitchen which is pretty formal. Here is a picture of the kitchen from the listing, although this is a horrible representation of the cabinet color which is actually a very pretty cream and not this wood-look color:

Yes, msmeow, all pictures are from the listing. They had the TV on when I was there and it was fine. Our house in PA is pretty much all windows and we watch TV in it and it doesn't bother me. I like windows and once told my builder that I wanted windows, fireplaces and built-ins and no walls in my house, LOL.

What about this one with the green sofa and bird chairs? Too much?

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Beagles, I love the first rug in the group that you posted. I very much like the more formal direction that you are leaning towards for the interior. It is not a lake house cottage it is a lovely lakeside home and IMO should be treated as such. I am a traditionalist so I am always on board with a more elegant atmosphere. IMO, you are on track with your first sofa, the beautiful bird chairs, and the first rug in the group of three.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

I'm not positive about the colors... Again I'd ask someone to do a color capture for you on those walls but I like that direction ... It's what I meant by down a notch

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

mtnrdredux my realtor is going to the house on Monday. What exactly would she need to do in order to do a color capture? I've never heard of this before. I could probably also just ask the people who are selling. They have been very nice and forthcoming and I am already waiting to hear back on the color and maker of the kitchen cabinets b/c I will probably put a paneled fridge.

Thanks holly-kay. I am trying to be open to more casual, but I do always lean towards formal/traditional :)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

It's good to see the full context when it's an open floor plan like this house.

Although I can see from the architecture of the home, you might not want to go contemporary, a bit more transitional and updated might suit the home better. Don't like all the black furniture the previous owners used. The house is very big.

I would suggest living in the home for a bit. And since you don't seem interested in the latest furniture offerings out there, you might be surprised to see resale stores down here filled with very gently used preowned furniture. There's nothing like getting a Henredon sofa for $100.

I see lots of homes here in Florida where retired couples moved down with all their beloved mahogany furniture moved from up north, and then all they wear are shorts and capris everyday. Life is very different here in Florida no matter that you'll be north of Tampa.

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

I'm with holly-kay - I like the first rug in the group. I think with your lighter floors you want some contrast in the rug, and everything else you've shown (except the green and yellow) would blend in too much.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

I think Beverly was right when she said "transitional." Somewhere in between formal and casual or contemporary.....but, you should do what's going to make you happy and not what anyone thinks you should do. Love your house...it's going to be beautiful!

• sweet_tea_
    9 years ago

Just chiming in to say I think the soft green sofas and bird chairs are fine together, although I like the shape of the beige sofa better. I do think that the yellow rug is throwing it off, the rug is lovely. I love that shade blue in it, but that doesn't do anything for the green. I like both the first and second green rugs you posted at 12:59. I would try to see which of those two coordinate with the wall color the best and go with that one.

Lovely place! Make me miss FL.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks beverly27 for posting the pics :)

I don't like the black furniture either, it is not my style.

I will try to look for traditional with a transition twist, I guess. I already ordered a Drexel sofa, couch & two tables for the formal living room and I have a dining set on order with Parson's chairs that have Waverley slipcovers, so it may be too late, LOL.

We lived in Clearwater in a little house on the intercostal before, so this isn't our first Florida experience. We live casual in PA too, but still like formal furniture. I'll have to check out the gently used stores for good deals on good furniture!

Thanks annkh and sweet-tea and joaniepoanie .

I will post updates when I get there and start the decorating process.

• juliekcmo
    9 years ago

IMHO, the TV family room needs to embrace (not clash with) these colors:

The flooring color, both in that room and on the pool deck
    The color of the swimming pool water
    The color of the greenery outside

I don't find the kitchen at all formal, and think that it is just spacious. It (to me) just has a few moldings and vertical fill pieces with some reeding. (as opposed to flat contemporary or simple shaker features)

But the wood choice and color, the layout, and lack of window treatments and ornate fixtures makes it casual to me. So if that is what is driving your need to formal up the TV room, I feel that is leading you down the wrong path.

If I were not going to change paint and flooring, I would select a rug with this in mind. Then add a solid or read-as-solid sofa, pair of soft chars with pattern, and bring it home with some pillows and art.

Here is a link that might be useful: possible rug

• kswl2
    9 years ago

Lovely house, beagles! Looking at all the pictures, a few opinions to offer:

I like the first sofa and chairs together. The sofa in the picture looks to be a light khaki, with a green undertone, to I think those will be fine together. That rug is too yellow/ gold for the sofa and chairs. I would use one of the two green rugs you posted later on.

But--- I don't think anything you've posted will work with the wall color. If the screen color is anything like the color in real life, this is one of those flesh colored tans so popular in Florida in the 1990s / 2000s that is virtually impossible to decorate around. If it were me, I would paint the entire house a cream color chosen to work with the sofa and chairs. I know it's an inconvenience and a huge expense to paint an open plan like that, but IMO that background will make any furnishings you use look like they don't belong.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Hi Beagles,

I just noticed that I never answered the color capture question. It's a Benjamin Moore app that you can d/l free to your iphone or ipad. You simply take a picture of something and it tells you the closest paint color match.
    In this case, take a few photos of different walls in different lighting. Then, go to the paint store and get the strip, and you shop with it when you are picking out rugs, fabrics, etc.

Of course if the seller knows the color, that's easier. But if you d/l Color Capture its addicting!

OTOH, we are responding here with respect for your wishes to keep the color. But, IMHO, it's not a particularly au courant color and it is not a neutral color by any means, and it will have you tearing your hair out trying to coordinate with it IMHO.
    : )

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

juliekcmo, I don't know if the kitchen is coming across very accurately in pictures. It is a very french country white in real life, not the light wood look that it appears in these pictures. With that, it reads a little more on the formal side to me. Either way, I just like more formal style. I agree, I need to think about the pool deck, pool and greenery. I"m not a fan of red so I'm trying to bring out the pinks I think...

Thanks kswl and mtnrdredux. In defense of my tan, it is not really a peach. It was repainted some time between 2009 and now b/c I've seen pre-2009 listing pics from before the current owners had the house and the walls were different colors. If I have to repaint, I can do that... I guess... But I am really hoping I'll get the furniture in and it will look OK w/o repainting. I truly don't want to go through all that mess if there is any way to avoid!

Old listing picture, as an example. This was before the new owners replaced the floor. The house was only built in 2005 and has already had a kitchen remodel, new floors and a fireplace remodel!

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

Hi Beagles, congratulations on your new home! How about a spin on the popular vintage Florida colors? I really love the green rug in the first picture (ignore the furniture) it also has some cream and burnt peach in it. I noticed that the po used green on the walls, I’m not much of a green person but do like the ole Florida burnt peach/coral, green and cream combo. The last rug is pretty too if you wanted more vibrant. The green rug is my favorite though because the eye could continue to the outdoors.

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Tue, Nov 4, 14 at 18:23

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Jterrilynn, I for one, love the rug in the last photo. Very much Beagle-esque to me, but just a bit less ornate and less formal for the space. I think it's a great direction and I even like the colors too.

Of course I'm just a bystander but that's my 2 cents!

• kswl2
    9 years ago

Jterrilyn I LOVE all the photos you've posted! Real peach is a beautiful color, and that green wall color is fab!!

• dakota01
    9 years ago

Both your homes are stunning!
    For your Florida home with all that glass I see a more transitional look for the furniture and rugs. As a twist maybe a piece of wicker?

Just my 2 cents. My last 2 homes were tradional and now I've switched to transitional and I'm liking it. I still love tradional homes, but I needed a change

• voila
    9 years ago

Many Floridian's prefer traditional décor. :-) Don't be afraid to go with your heart's desire. That being said, along with consignment shops, take a look at Craig's list, too. So many people move in and out of the state, there are always interesting things listed, including lovely antiques. Don't know if this palace sized rug could be used anywhere in your new home, but worth a peak. Enjoy your beautiful new home!

Here is a link that might be useful:

• voila
    9 years ago

Here is a link to the rug listing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Craig's list

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks jterrilynn. I really like the second and third pictures you posted. Do you know where that third rug comes from (what store)? The green rug is a little too green for me, I think.

Thanks jeannie01. I am really considering the transitional, we'll see if I can make the leap once push comes to shove and I actually start decorating!

Beautiful rug voila! Unfortunately, I think it may be too big for any of the rooms in the house. I will definitely check craigslist to see what I can find!

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

Hi Beagles, That rug is called the "Aamanda" and is from the Jaipur - Poeme collection. There are several real nice rugs in the Poeme line.

This site has a link for an additional 15% off but I have never shopped at this site.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jaipur rug