Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msrose

Which color for door?

msrose
9 years ago

I want a bluish green for my door and I think I've narrowed it down to two. SW Herbal Wash is a little more green and BM Creekside Green is a little more blue. Which do you like better with my brick?

SW Herbal Wash (left) & BM Creekside Green (right)

Comments (43)

• gail618
    9 years ago

I like the one on the right. What did the dogs think?

• User
    9 years ago

I think the dogs like the more blue on the right too.
    That is the one they are standing in front of.
    I vote the green, only because of the color of your stones.
    Either one is great!

• busybee3
    9 years ago

I prefer the one on the right, but I think I would go a bit deeper for alittle more contrast...

• Sheeisback_GW
    9 years ago

I like the Creekside Green on the right.

• cat_mom
    9 years ago

The one on the right, has a bit more life to it.

And I can see that the doggies like it, too! ðÂÂÂ

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Agree with busybee.

• kswl2
    9 years ago

The one on the right.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

the one of the right, but I agree w/Busybee that it just kind of fades into the stone. Perhaps that is what you want, though, and no contrast?

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

Hold on. Do you have TWO frenchies?

I agree also with busy -- I like the one on the right but worry that the color may wash out, so I'd go a bit darker. Exterior colors, in my somewhat limited experience, tend to look lighter when you get them up.

• 2MayEmeralds
    9 years ago

I like the one on the right better as well.

• dilly_ny
    9 years ago

can you place the colors by the door and take another picture?

I prefer the green on the left because the other one looks grey and might look too modern with your traditional vibe brick.

• bossyvossy
    9 years ago

I want the pooches. I think your selections are in good taste and would both work but personally would hv picked a wild color like mustard or more intense shades of the color family you are favoring

Did I say I want the pooches???

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Maybe more contrast

• likewhatyoudo
    9 years ago

Can we see the door and porch area? That would help to visualize the color. Did you ever pick a area rug for your living room? I didn't see the post if you did.
    I like the color of your dogs against the brick : ) Seriously I do, take them into the paint store for a color match

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

Aww poor doggies got their noses smashed in because the door color was too close to the house colors and it confused them.

I agree with the others on a more saturated color.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    9 years ago

If this helps visualize a more dramatic color...(wish I could give credit where I saw this, but it's so old, I didn't know to keep that kind of info). Do you notice two doors? Which one beckons? :) I know these stones lack the grey you have, but same idea. Blank palette.

• gmp3
    9 years ago

I agree with the more bold color. I do like the Yorktown Green Beverly posted.

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

I wonder how BM Quarry Rock would look? Or a bit lighter: Stonybrook.

Here is a link that might be useful: Quarry Rock

• amykath
    9 years ago

Really would help to see the house. LOVE your brick!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Sherwin Williams Seaworthy?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

More intensity, same family. Maybe even ... glossy?

Dogs are so cute.

• caroline94535
    9 years ago

It doesn't matter which color you choose for the door!

Just let the dogs sit on either side of it and no one will notice anything else, just the sweet little pups! They are absolutely darling and seem to intensely share your interest in the colors!

I would go with the darker color, either the Yorktown Green or Seaworthy.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

We've been door shopping. Doors in a light blue green like the left sample look cottagey. We saw a door very close to Seaworthy, so I can confirm it makes a nice door.

• teacats
    9 years ago

The color on the right -- and just for the record -- I do like a greyed color for a softer blended color with the brick -- more visually cohesive .... and then add pops of color (like the front door or annual colors etc.)

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I would choose a more saturated color also. Love the Yorktown Green that Beverly posted and the Seaworthy that Tib posted.

• msrose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My mother also mentioned going with a darker color, but I can't find a color I like. I'll check out some of the ones you've mentioned. I can't go too wild with color, because it will have to be approved by my HOA. My front door doesn't show from the street, so I'm just looking for a color that looks good that I love.

My door is currently painted Behr Terrace Taupe, but I've always thought it looked bluish green. My son says it looks gray and my mother isn't sure what color she sees. The Creekside Green actually is close to it, but it's a little deeper and has a little more color. I'm having my house painted, so that's why I'm picking out a new color for the door. I don't care it's similar to what I have if the color looks good.

rt - This is the rug I ended up with. I actually sent the one in the picture back and got a bigger size, but I don't have a good picture of it.

I should call my dogs shadow 1 and shadow 2. I love them to pieces though.

This post was edited by msrose on Thu, Oct 9, 14 at 19:45

• lazydaisynot
    9 years ago

They are so cute! I like both colors you're considering. I'd probably go with the green.

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

I think Behr Squirrel # 790D would look real nice in a gloss. I have used this color before and really like it. It does have a bit more green but is in sort of a greige color family yet it has a bit more sophistication. *gloss*

EDITIED to addâ¦please disregard the color mentioned above. It is not the color IâÂÂm thinking of for your door. The color name is completely blanking in my head. When I think of it IâÂÂll post, I painted my sons screened patio exterior section with it and it is lovely.

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Fri, Oct 10, 14 at 7:40

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

BM Yorktown Green

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

Love them! Here's mine.

• msrose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Beverly - Have you seen Yorktown Green in person? The pictures I found online looked too blue. I likd the color in you mock-up if I decide to go darker.

sueb20 - What a cutie!

This post was edited by msrose on Fri, Oct 10, 14 at 20:26

• amykath
    9 years ago

If it were me, I would go with a deeper richer tan. I would stay away from the grays. The brick looks like it would read better with a rich khaki. I think adding gray will bring out a bit of pink (from my monitor)

• likewhatyoudo
    9 years ago

I think you should consider a black door! With a black door mat and a nice pot in front of the side light. I am partial to black entry doors.

This post was edited by rtwilliams on Fri, Oct 10, 14 at 16:19

• lovestowalk
    9 years ago

Your dogs are adorable!! I like your current door color so no help there ...

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

I like the idea of something more saturated. The soft colors are lovely but a bit of boldness might be good.

Your pups are adorable.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

The Yorketown Green clashes. It makes the gray look more blue-gray. I'd steer clear of blue greens.

• msrose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

may_flowers - What's wrong with the gray in the house looking blue-gray? How do I want it to look? Are you thinking a yellow green as opposed to a blue green would look better or something besides blue and green.

I'm still not sure about the darker color, but I found this picture of trailrunner's kitchen that looks like a possibility. It's an Olympic color. Ideally, I'd like to find a SW color, because that's what the painters use. If I go with a different brand they will still have it mixed in SW and I worry it won't be the exact color.

This post was edited by msrose on Fri, Oct 10, 14 at 22:35

• Gracie
    9 years ago

With the gray looking more blue, the green clashes.

In your photo, your blinds have taken on a blue tone. They look much better with the brick than the green.

• Sheeisback_GW
    9 years ago

I prefer the deeper colors. I like Trailrunner's paint color. I also think black would look sharp even though I don't believe you want to go that direction.

If you do have another color mixed in SW, take your sample and have them scan the color right from that. Then they should test the new paint right on the sample, blow dry, and make any necessary tweaks. I usually always have BM colors mixed in different paint brands. The two places I frequent, both make adjustments if need be to get it spot on. Even if they start by pulling the other paint brand formula from their system, I'd still have them test it on your sample.

• msrose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

shee - That's a great idea. I had a sample of BM Louisberg Green mixed at SW and they just used the formula in their computer. I do love black doors, but you're right, it's not what I'm invisioning for my house. Now if I had a red brick house, black would be my #1 choice. I adore red brick with white trim and black shutters/doors.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Black ALWAYS looks great with brick, very sophisticated and elegant.

• msrose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So confused now! I'm going back to the store to pick up any paint samples I think may be a possibility.

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

IâÂÂm NOT suggesting you paint your door psychedelic like picture below but after mocking up some of the warmer shades in your brick and the colors that read grayish purple (on my monitor) my pick would be a warm dark aubergine or a muted purple/redish brown, in gloss.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler