Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kellyp123gw

*Updated*Help me choose Picture over Mantle

kellyp123
9 years ago

Updated***Please see post toward bottom of paint choices***

Hello everyone, Our picture is up and we could now use help choosing paint for a fireplace accent wall. Plan to keep adjacent wall colors the same. Leaning toward blues and greens for the accent wall, but am open to all suggestions.

We love the picture and the cell phone pics do not do it justice! Will need to post better ones when time permits. Following are some paint colors we liked when looking online. Opinions and other recommendations would be appreciated. Thank you so much!

First Pic is BM evening dove.

This post was edited by kellyp123 on Thu, Oct 30, 14 at 22:03

Comments (35)

• kellyp123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is what it looks like now with red paint. The red has to go! We are redesigning the whole room, even furniture and accessories to go with the picture.

• kellyp123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

BM old Navy

• kellyp123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pacific Teal. Sherwin Williams

• sixkeys
    9 years ago

I like old Navy! It seems to pull from the middle of the picture and I love what it does to the beautiful picture frame.

• kellyp123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Adjacent wall is a Glidden shade that I don't have the name of but I think it is a shade lighter than water chesnut. I wouldn't mind something a little darker in here, but my husband opposes right now. The kitchen (darker shade) is Glidden Water Chesnut.

• kswl2
    9 years ago

Navy!

• voila
    9 years ago

Navy or aubergine, if you could get away with jewel tones. There seems to be a lot of pink or purple in the sky.

• kellyp123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I forgot to mention that I could use ideas on decorating the mantle as well. Thanks again.

• lynn_r_ct
    9 years ago

Personally, FWIW, I would beef up the top of the mantle itself - I am just eye-ing it, but maybe by about 6". Right now, IMHO, the tall picture, which I love by the way - especially with the blue wall colorings, makes the mantle look skinny. Vice versa, the mantle makes the pic look skinny.They seem to be competing when they should be complimenting each other. One of the things I avoid in a room is to have "straight lines". As I see it now, it looks as if the top of the pic is equal to the top of the window casings. The extra beefing of the mantle would change that assuming you would then hang the pic a little higher. If you are adding curtains to the room and plan to add them above the casings, that would also resolve the issue. As always though, IMHO.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

old navy is beautiful with the picture and the fireplace.

• cozyplace
    9 years ago

My fav is BM Old Navy, but do like the first blue as well. Blues are the hardest color to match in a room. My friend decorated her entire home in blues and greens and I just love it. That picture is beautiful. ENJOY!!

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I like the navy. I think a pair of large candlesticks are all I would add.

• kellyp123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the opinions. It looks like Old Navy looks the best, which I was leaning toward. My husband likes the lighter one but he listens to your opinions. :) We will try raising the picture too.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I think the Old Navy is beautiful and looks great as the backdrop for your lovely art.

• theclose
    9 years ago

Love Old Navy! And the artwork is beautiful.

• rmsaustin
    9 years ago

I like the navy. I agree that the picture needs to be moved up -- maybe centered between the ceiling and the top of the mantel?, but in any case up.

• Oakley
    9 years ago

Old Navy, it's beautiful. Either topiaries or candlesticks would be nice flanking the picture.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Have you looked at BM Hale Navy? On my monitor, Old Navy looks purplish.

• kellyp123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have not considered Hale Navy. It is lovely though. Thanks for the recommendation.

• salonv
    9 years ago

I love that painting and love it with both blues (but I think I actually agree with your husband and prefer the first one).

• Olychick
    9 years ago

I like the darker blue. The lighter blue seems to pull the pinks out of the picture so all the colors (wall and art) appear to have the same value, but the navy highlights the blues, while the pinks recede, (which I prefer).

• Christy Bell
    9 years ago

Navy

• hilltop_gw
    9 years ago

My thoughts-
    Old navy has a more nautical feel, vibrant and matches the theme of the artwork. Plus it looks like it would blend with the adjacent Glidden paint.

Evening dove is calm and soothing, relaxing, but too pastel for the adjacent Glidden paint.

Pacific teal doesn't match the colors in the artwork

• nhb22
    9 years ago

I love the first, but the Old Navy is also pretty. My concern would be that the Old Navy, in person, may come out darker than your mock-up and in turn, cause the room to be too dark. Perhaps take a look at the other BM blue suggestion. May be a happy medium.

Yes, move the print up a couple of inches. I would also consider purchasing non-glare glass. ;)

This post was edited by newhomebuilder on Mon, Oct 27, 14 at 11:33

• luckygal
    9 years ago

Old Navy is my preference for a wall color altho I have never painted any wall to match or compliment a print or painting. I always choose wall colors based on other factors to do with the room and house. My art works because I like it altho having just rehung all our art I know certain paintings do look better on certain wall colors.

Having said all that, the Old Navy wall color does enhance the colors in the print. Have you thought of using a darker mat on the print? IMO that might enhance the print.

• cawaps
    9 years ago

Wow, a rare consensus. My opinions are in line with what you've already heard: First choice is the Old Navy followed by the Evening Dove.

• Sheeisback_GW
    9 years ago

I love the navy too!

Since I saw some others mention Hale Navy I'll mention I have the sample and it's a pretty deep, dark, navy. Wasn't quite blue looking enough for me.

A different blue suggestion that I think looks like your mock up of Old Navy is BM Van Deusen Blue. I have it in a bathroom and love it!

• lynn_r_ct
    9 years ago

I do love the Old Navy, but as lucky gal mentions, while you should buy art you like without worrying about whether or not it 'matches', However, I do think you need to take into consideration the other furniture and layout in the room before you pick a wall color. Have you posted your room in a previous post?

• kellyp123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Updated **We painted the wall with samples of both old navy and hale navy. Now I am leaning toward hale navy. Old navy is just too dark for my little space and looks almost black at night. Hale navy is a little grayer than I thought I would want, but I don't think I will find a better blue. I don't want anything too bright - just a sophisticated rich blue that will be easy to decorate with. What do you think? Old Navy is the darker one.

• kellyp123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Old Navy and Hale Navy

• kellyp123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another view. If that helps at all. Thank you for all of the comments and recommendations. I looked at the other colors that were recommended as well. Lynn r ct - I am buying new furniture in the near future. A lay out of my room will be coming as I plan furniture and accessories.

• carolt924
    9 years ago

Hale Navy, I like how it picks up the shades of blue in the pic, plus I like the frame better with it, contrast, but not so much as with the Old Navy.

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

Hale Navy

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Yes, the Hale Navy looks fabulous. I love the Old Navy on it's own but in comparison to HN the HN wins out.

• crl_
    9 years ago

I love the hale navy. And I agree that just a simple pair of candle sticks might be nice. Beautiful art!

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022