Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
threeapples

How to handle this window situation.....

threeapples
10 years ago

The master bathroom has three windows. One is normal size in the water closet. One is normal size in the main area, and one is half-size above the tub. We need window treatments for privacy. I'm thinking of a creamy white panel with white or white and gray tassel fringe. How do I address the smaller window? Do I do panels there and have them shorter and just skim the tub deck? Will it look dwarfed compared to the other two that will be a full 9 ft tall? Also, should I do sheers?

Comments (38)

• threeapples
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The other window is not visible in this photo.

• Lyban zone 4
    10 years ago

Can you do the panels on the two large windows and a matching fabric roman shade by the tub.

• theclose
    10 years ago

+1 lyban's suggestion.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Somehow, in my mind, panels are too fussy for bathrooms. I like sheers on tension rods, top and bottom as they let in light and provide privacy, and in your instance will certainly be applicable to both the small and large windows. And you can leave the top plain or do a valance.

[Traditional Bathroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_2107) by Encino Interior Designers & Decorators Dayna Katlin Interiors

[Traditional Bathroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_2107) by Novato Kitchen & Bath Designers Julie Williams Design

These are mounted directly to the window frame so they operate with the window.

[Traditional Bathroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_2107) by Los Angeles Architects & Designers Studio William Hefner

Or you can hang sheers with out shirring on rods...something like these on clip rings, again with or without the topper.

[Contemporary Bathroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_2103) by Westfield Interior Designers & Decorators Kingsley Belcher Knauss, ASID

[Traditional Bathroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_2107) by Williston Park Kitchen & Bath Designers Kitchen Designs by Ken Kelly, Inc. (CKD, CBD, CR)

[Traditional Bathroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_2107) by Beverly General Contractors The Remodeling Company

I'm sure someone will suggest shutters, but I'm not a fan. Not only don't I like cleaning them, but I like the opportunity to add softness to a bath which is so full of hard surfaces.

This post was edited by AnnieDeighnaugh on Fri, Oct 11, 13 at 8:00

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

You could also apply a window film for privacy to the lower panels...that way you'd still get the light in.

• threeapples
    Original Author
    10 years ago

All good ideas I never would have thought of. But, these are front-facing windows so I'm not sure I want curtains only on the bottom half of the windows? I could do balloon panels/shades, or is that not appropriate for the style of my house?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Ahh, I see. My fault, I didn't realize these were front facing and I now see you are in a trad'l georgian...do you have an exterior shot posted anywhere?

You might want to consider a single window treatment for all of your front facing windows so they yield a consistent look from the outside. Or at least all the same for the upper floor with maybe a central window being different. The insides can vary for things that don't show like fabrics and toppers, but the sheers or shades or linings should have the same look and color if you want a unified look from the outside. Though some don't mind if the windows have a different look...it depends on how formal you want to go with the symmetry.

Of course you can do balloons or cloud shades, or full length sheers, or sheers that cover to the sill. When you say panels, I think of full length side panels, whether they draw or not and those seem formal for a bath...though certainly it's been done.

This one with side panels, austrian shade and draped valance...a window treatment symphony!

[Traditional Bathroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_2107) by Montpelier Interior Designers & Decorators Cabell Design Studio

Funny thing...I've always loved austrian shades and have never had one.....go figure.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Oh Annie, you are the drapery master! I love, love, love Austrian shades but my home is not formal enough for them. If I had a bathroom as lovely as the last one you posted I would have a hard time leaving it!

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Plantation shutters?

• threeapples
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm paranoid about excess dust so shutters are out. I love Austrian shades!!!!

I'll post a photo of the exterior in an hour. The other upper windows have flat Roman shades. :/

• threeapples
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The top 3 windows are the master bath. The top left window is a roman shade. The bottom two right windows will have traditional panels. Is this all ok?

• deegw
    10 years ago

I think the front of your house will look great with slightly different window treatments. I would try to make sure the linings were all a similar color.

If your house were smaller and the windows were closer together and more prominent I think you would need to worry about being "matchy".

• threeapples
    Original Author
    10 years ago

All the linings will be white.

Now I'm on an Austrian shade obsession. Should they be insude or outside mounted?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I would think about inside only because in the pic, it doesn't look like there's much room for an outside mount.

• threeapples
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Not much room at the top, you mean?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Yes. On the big window it looks like there's only about an inch or so between the window trim and that gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous crown molding. You certainly don't want to mess with that!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

If you can get a tight mount such as this one, an outside mount may work.

Inside mount:

You can also do them off of a rod...

• threeapples
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, I am very happy with the moulding :)

I'm leaning towards a creamy silk the color of the trim. I can't decide whether I should reserve the Auatrian shades for the dining room
    And do them in sheers with panels in there and then just so balloon shades in the bathroom. Or do Austrain panels in both locations. I'm
    Terrible with making decisions!!!!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I prefer cloud shades to balloon shades as they are softer looking...though I did a balloon valance over my kitchen sink.

• threeapples
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'll have to look up cloud shades. Thanks.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

These were cloud shades I made for the old house. They are puffier and bunch up at the bottom as you draw them up. When they are lowered all the way, they are still bunched at the bottom.

Balloon shades that tend to lie flat on the face side and then bunch up underneath. This is the valance in my current kitchen which is made more like a balloon shade.

It's a subtle difference, but especially if you want to do sheers, I think the cloud shade can give a softer look.

Maybe the drawings will show it better.
    Balloon

Cloud

Austrian

• threeapples
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That's very helpful--thank you.

I'm going to do a taffeta in the bathroom
    And sheers and panels in the dining room.

I'm thinking about London balloon shades in the bathroom.

Yours are professional looking. Was this hard to do?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

The kitchen valance is very easy...rod pocket and gathered at the top, then hem and fold up pleats for whatever fullness I wanted and stitch them. Once stitched and hung, I just poke the pleats open to make the balloon bottom.

The cloud shades were more involved. The pencil pleats at the top were done with pleater tape, so that was easy. I didn't want any ring tape to show through, so instead I sewed on all the rings by hand which was tedious. Then I had to string it and mount to a board which was mounted to the wall with L brackets.

• deegw
    10 years ago

I just wanted to throw this out there because I know you are interested in being as authentic as possible with your home and decor. Are there window treatments that are specific to the Georgian period?

I know you mentioned that you don't like shutters because of the dust. It seems to me that window treatments with lots of fabric and folds would collect more dust and be harder to maintain. Shutters were often seen in early American homes.

I'm sure whatever you choose will look great but I didn't want you to discount shutters because of dust concerns. I find them much easier to keep clean than drapes.

• threeapples
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Deee.

I will probably use painted shutters and drapes in our keeping room.

I think another reason I don't want shutters in the bathroom is that I don't want that look on three prominent windows on the front of the house. You make a good point about the dust!

I'll look through my Georgian books again, but I recall seeing a whole gamut of styles. Many had fringe or tassels.

I'll browse through my books and post some photos.

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

There probably would have been solid interior shutters or wooden venetian blinds in most houses of the period. (Windows being drafty and fabric being expensive)

The fabric treatments would have been a fixed pelmet or swags and jabots, and maybe long panels.

I think the balloon or London type of thing will stand in well for the pelmet or swags and jabots.

This post was edited by ineffablespace on Sun, Oct 13, 13 at 8:59

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

The link below shows cloud shades and austrian shades as well as toppers and side panels and cornices for traditional georgian window treatments.

Here is a link that might be useful: canter lane

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I'm not a fan of venetian blinds or shutters in general because of dust issues...I hate cleaning them, but you could use a combo of solid shutter and sheer...this is from James Buchanan's Wheatland. Solid shutter would be much less dusty, though allows for no light or air penetration...which I guess was the point in those days.

• threeapples
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Can you mount solid shutters on regular windows that are not deeply set back? Can't wait to check our your link.

• nini804
    10 years ago

I am really puzzled how people think plantation shutters are dusty and difficult to clean. I think my draperies get dustier and are MUCH more difficult to clean than my shutters! The shutters are wide, and don't move or bend like blinds...one quick sweep with a swiffer cloth and they are perfectly clean.

Anyway, I think, particularly for your smaller, tub window, shutters would look clean and not fussy. And while I am certainly not an expert in Georgian decorating...I think since there weren't actually bathrooms during the period that you get a pass for function in this room! ;) BTW, love the exterior shot of your home...absolutely stunning! When do you move in?

Here is my easy to clean pair of shutters over the tub.

• threeapples
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, nini. Very pretty bathroom you have.

That exterior shot is so old (we've been building for over two years). We get a new front door soon and the cupola area and widow's walk should be done in a few weeks so I'll take another photo and post it then.

We moved in a few months ago. It's nice to finally be here, but I'm growing tired of it not being done and having subs in the house all the time.

I have no idea what to do. I'm so indecisive and window treatments seem like an important decision as I'd rather do it once and do it right instead of replace them in a few years.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

That's a really pretty paint color, so soothing, nini (as well as the bathroom!). What color is it?

tia

• threeapples
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I went with taffeta silk London shades. I love it. My husband accidentally drilled through the silk on the front top, however, so there is a hole. I just hope it doesn't get bigger. Thanks for help deciding on this.

The paint is Farrow and Ball Cornforth White. :)

• theclose
    10 years ago

Wow! Just gorgeous. So glad you found something you love!

• threeapples
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, I'm really pleased :)

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

They're lovely! Don't gasp, but unless you do something to secure that hole, it's likely to grow with operation of the shade. So, here's where you gasp - I'd paint the hole with some clear nail polish. It's a lot more secure than fray-check, and a lot more resistant to humidity. You're not likely to notice it and it'll keep that hole from growing as tension is put on the fabric.

The other thing you might consider because it's a bath on the front is getting one of those films that you skim on to obscure the glass. At least for the lower 1/2 of the windows.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Oh my gosh, they are lovely. Your home is stunning. I adore Georgian
    architecture.

• threeapples
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the tip. The nail polish wont yellow over time?

The tub and shower are in different areas so we are ok with the clear glass. I'm ordering the other two shades for this room Monday. :)