Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathryn_dunbar

What's in your foyer?

Kathryn Dunbar
16 years ago

I'm trying to find ideas. I just have a small table for the mail, and I think the room/ hall looks really empty. Anyone have pictures?

Comments (19)

• cindyandmocha
    16 years ago

Right now, there is only 1 lonely grungy fish tank and some drywall. However, we did finally paint and will soon be adding the coat hook and shelves and my husband's chef awards and some pictures along one wall.

I've waffled as to whether his awards would be tacky or self-aggrandizing, but its not like it was his idea. Some of them are quite beautiful and deserve a lovely blank wall, and I don't have any place else to put them. Some are shadowboxes of menus with a rare bottle of wine, or pics with a president, etc.

Also, for the opposite wall, my brother has offered me his newer and larger (narrower and longer) tank as well. That will go on the opposite wall along with a painting I've been eyeing.

(I have a very narrow entry foyer).

• eaglesgal
    16 years ago

Probably according to some too much! LOL! Along the staircase are all the photos I took from our honeymoon in Italy. Then I have a small bombay, more pictures, a topiary, and some antique chairs and small table form DH's childhood home:

Can you tell I like alot of "stuff"?? LOL

• boystown
    16 years ago

Eaglesgal: Your home is lovely. You sure know how to decorate. I love your wall color. Would you mind sharing the color and brand name? Thanks for sharing your pictures

• maggie3_2006
    16 years ago

I dont really have a foyer, just a VERY high wall when you enter the front door, once you turn left its all open but heres what I have.....

• DYH
    16 years ago

Our foyer is a bit unusual since it is designed for passive solar. There is a front gallery of single French doors (leading to our garden room) with windows above on the 2nd floor for passive solar; the dining room opens completely to the foyer; most of the family room opens to the foyer. This is like "central heat" in the winter. LOL

So, the main "decor" in the foyer is an antique confectoire from Belgium and an American antique chair. The pottery pieces were made by different potters. That's the dining room reflected in the mirror. I replaced the plates over the china cabinet with botanicals from the early 1800s (wild magnolias). Some of my sepia photos of Tuscany then replaced the botanicals that had been along the French doors. (I still haven't painted out all the switches).

{{!gwi}}

• eaglesgal
    16 years ago

Thanks gagesgranny!!! The paint is SW Golden Fleece. It is the third color I put on the wall in a year because I just couldn't find the right one! I am very happy with the color now!

• Robbi D.
    16 years ago

This is helping me and I didn't even realize it!! My dh puts his "stuff" all over the house when he gets home and I could move a plant and put a small chest in the entry. I think it would look very nice with a small lamp and such on it. Here I thought that part of the house was finished.....

Robbi

• patricianat
    16 years ago

Very inviting entryways, all of them.

• sue9288
    16 years ago

If it's a small space, I suggest you use some glass furniture, or glass wall mural, the space can be expanded by translucence and the variations of light piercing.

Here is a link that might be useful: glass furniture

• ttodd
    16 years ago

A ladder, 1 wall 1/2 stripped of wallpaper, a box containing 2 gallons of paint for my DR. I just can't bear to resume stripping more wallpaper.

• Sueb20
    16 years ago

Mine has an old church pew, mirror, and a few random small pieces of art. I am also in the process of using a floral-pattern window film on the windows in my front door, not sure if you can tell from the pic.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• thrift_shop_romantic
    16 years ago

I've got a mirror, my great-grandmother's lamp, some stained glass, a Duncan Phyfe type table, my bisque collection... all sorts of goodies. :)

I'll put the link to the pics below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photos of my entryway

• shellfish
    16 years ago

We have a chest with a mirror-we haven't lived in this house long, so we are still waiting on a piece of artwork to hang on one wall.

• nsb123
    16 years ago

Eagle,

You did an excellent job of arranging your photos! It looks gorgeous.

• suska6184
    16 years ago

A beautiful double halltree, quartersawn oak with lovely veining from the 1800's. Took me nearly 5 years of searching, but I got it at an auction. I really must learn how to post pictures.

• tre3
    16 years ago

Wonbyherwits, your foyer is gorgeous. Can you please tell me what color you used on the drywall portion of the walls. Thank you.
    Realizing that I need to get working on way too many aspects of our house!!

• sedeno77
    16 years ago

Not as pretty as the above posters but here's mine. I'm wondering should I remove the iron work on top of the door or add something to the sides? It look odd, right?

• ILoveRed
    16 years ago

I've got an antique oak hall tree and an antique Larson table. I don't think I have a picture right now.

Beautiful pictures here. Almost embarrassing to even show pictures of my plain house :-)

yvette--I love the iron piece above the door. I don't think it looks odd at all. Your foyer is lovely.