Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nyrgirl35

Paint Color?

nyrgirl35
9 years ago

My house is pretty much open concept. Each room flows into the other with no small doorways. Right now I have a BM livingston gold in my Living room and entry way. Should I continue it into dining room, kitchen, and hall way to bedrooms or is that too much of one color throughout house? I do love the color but it is a dark color.

My side entryway is a narrow hallway, walk up 5 steps to L-shaped LR, walk up 5 steps to DR with cathedral ceiling and 10' opening to kitchen on left and then up 5 steps to hallway to bedrooms.

Comments (9)

• nyrgirl35
    Original Author
    9 years ago

View from LR, you can see my entry door and up is DR

• nyrgirl35
    Original Author
    9 years ago

View from DR down to LR (excuse the mess in the middle of kitchen Reno

• nyrgirl35
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is DR and kitchen. Just started kitchen Reno and knocked down the curved wall and wall to the left to extend kitchen length.

This post was edited by nyrgirl35 on Mon, Oct 13, 14 at 21:54

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

What a beautiful color on your LR walls. I'm so into these golds/tans/browns right now - so underused, IMO.

You absolutely can shake up the colors, but you do want them to segue nicely. For instance, I have a half bath in my LR which had BM Cape Hatteras Sand on the walls. I repainted my LR last week in BM Lenox Tan (lighter, but similar to your Livingston Gold) and the bathroom walls looked horrible segueing from the Lenox Tan (when the bathroom door is open, obviously), so I repainted the bathroom in BM Whitall Brown. Now it's a beautiful seque.

I repainted my dining room BM Putnam Ivory. On each end of the DR are the entrances to the kitchen and master bedroom alcove/suite, both of which are painted blue. Much to my delight, the segue on both ends, from Putnam Ivory to SW Languid Blue (BR) and BM Van Courtland Blue (kitchen) is beautiful.

Definitely can be done.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

You can do a few things in your instance.

One is to paint it all the same.

Two is to paint it in shades of the same color...look at Ben Moore's color preview swatches...not true for all mnfctrs...but they use shades of the same color on the swatches...so you can pick a color, say kahlua and cream and use it in one room, then change to acorn yellow (2 steps down the strip) for another room so all the colors will blend nicely.

Three is to go with different but coordinating colors. Ben Moore's affinity colors are all supposed to play nicely together. But also, if you go the same number of steps down on the color preview deck, you will see that those colors of similar depth will also all pretty much go together.

Awhile back there were a number of threads on design seeds...I posted in there some ideas for taking a color scheme and using it throughout the house without making each room the same color. The threads are long, so you'll have to scroll to find them...

Here is a link that might be useful: using design seeds

• nyrgirl35
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok thanks everyone. Question the color I picked in BM was livingston gold, which is the darkest color on that swatch. The other colors that were lighter got lost in my living room, I never even thought the darkest color would work best. So now since my dining room and kitchen have vaulted ceilings and have much more light then my living room I feel like I would need to go dark up there to appreciate the color but I already picked the darkest color, thoughts??
    I will check the link you posted tonight when I have time to look it over thank you!

• ophelia7
    9 years ago

I think pastel colors will work, like Goethe Haus in Weimar. Or how's about completely white to extend the feeling of low ceiling?

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

How about BM Amazon Soil for the dining room? A dark brown purple?

or a dark brown?

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Wow, nsm, that purple is beautiful.