Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Me again! DR chandy - help! : )

mtnrdredux_gw
10 years ago

The existing DR in the beachhouse has no overhead light. Since we will probably use this room a lot, for games as well as dining, we want to add a chandy. Here are some photos and a pretty rough rendering of the space. Furniture stays. As for the rug, I can take it or leave it.

{{!gwi}}

long shot (ps "dirt" on the wall is actually shadows of the chairs)
{{!gwi}}

floorplan (note table is actually bigger as it is less oval):
{{!gwi}}

However, one of my favorite views in the house isn't even of the ocean, but it is one of the walls of the DR,where the windows frame a lovely hydrangea bush. When you come in the front door and look right, you see this wall (below). So I want the chandy to be light and airy and not ruin this view. (or ruin the view in the other direction --- the windoseat wall looks out to the ocean, which I certainly don't want to obstruct, either)

{{!gwi}}

DH and I both loved loved this one, until we measured it. It is a behemoth. 60wx32wx24H. As light as it is, I think it is designed for very large rooms, eg great rooms.
{{!gwi}}

We also considered this, and I do like the oyster shells ... but the marsh grass feels a bit goofy.
{{!gwi}}

Any other ideas? I've looked at Circa, Urban electric, Charles Edwards, Layla Grace, all of Lowcountry Originals, Deco et Cie, SkinflintUK ... all my usual haunts for lighting.

Comments (35)

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

You've got beautiful windows and great space.
    This is way outside the box, but I'm suggesting it because sometimes something outside the box works, and from the list you posted it looks as if you've looked at everything that fits in the box. ;-)

It's the Arctic Pear double wave from Ochre lighting.
    They also make the Arctic Pear in rounds, and everyone who can has copied it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ochre Lighting chandeliers

• Lyban zone 4
    10 years ago

I do not have any chandy suggestions for you but just wanted to say how beautiful that room is with all the curtains removed.

When you posted it before with the previous owners curtains it just looked so.so....now it shines.

Also, I guess congrats are in order , I am assuming it is now officially yours.

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

Or have you seen the Floravita reverse painted glass dome chandeliers? They are spectacular. A friend of mine put one in her mountain home in NC, over a table that looked a lot like yours.

Here is a link that might be useful: HandpaintedFloravita

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    10 years ago

Did you check out Shades of Light? They have some really unique things. These are the ones on their site I liked best for your room, but there are lots of others:
    This one, but I'd switch out that shade for something else or lose it entirely if possible:
    http://www.shadesoflight.com/mesh-screen-shade-chandelier.html

http://www.shadesoflight.com/iron-swirl-cylinder-chandelier.html

• lazydaisynot
    10 years ago

Mtn, I don't have any suggestions but I think you're on the right track looking for light and airy. The finishes of the two you've considered look right for the house IMO.

• amykath
    10 years ago

What a fabulous room! Have you considered hanging two chandeliers? It is such a large space and a large table I think two would look great. Between your two choices I prefer the first one.

• localeater
    10 years ago

OK, I am in the market for a dining room light too, so this was fun for me. An opportunity to obsess on some one else's behalf...
    Here are a couple I think a true to the spirit your choices represented (with no marsh grass like accoutrements)
    Ballard Lauranza
    {{!gwi}}From GW Photos

Ballard Cosette(which comes in a 6 light and a 10)
    {{!gwi}}From GW Photos

Currey Saxon
    {{!gwi}}From GW Photos

Another option, which helps the local Maine economy and allows you to get whatever you want, would be to order something from Ace Iron. He is a Maine Craftsman that does lovely work- have seen it, don't have it. A couple of GWers do have his chandliers and I can probably track down who, if you need me too. I have linked his site, but here are two of his 'stock' models
    {{!gwi}}From GW Photos

{{!gwi}}From GW Photos

Here is a link that might be useful: Ace Iron

• daisychain01
    10 years ago

I was thinking the same thing as artillery, what about 2 fixtures? You could have them on different switches and then could only use one when playing games at one end of of the table.

Also wanted to say that I am thoroughly enjoying your posts about the beach house. I'm sure I speak for many when I say I am living vicariously through you and wait for the next room to be tackled.

This post was edited by daisychain01 on Wed, Oct 16, 13 at 7:53

• eandhl
    10 years ago

I am not positive but I think AceIron does custom work. Possibly make a smaller, similar or copy of the one you & DH love. The company is in Maine.

• User
    10 years ago

The very first light on First Dibs looks interesting. There are pages and pages of them--- you might find something there.

Here is a link that might be useful: First chandelier on this area of the site

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

No suggestions for lighting, but you inspired me to check out the swarovski site...Yowzah! Do they do fab stuff with crystal fixtures or what! Thanks for triggering the inspiration!

• ppbenn
    10 years ago

mtrdredux
    Just want to say I am in love with this beach house. Covetously in love.
    This chandy is on my short list for a couple reasons. Doesn't break the bank, is still traditional looking, not heavy and huge, and most importantly has decent light output at 60watts X 9.
    Feiss Aura

• Arapaho-Rd
    10 years ago

Such a pretty room! A couple questions...what style do you prefer? Are you trying to coordinate with other lighting already in the beach house?

• francoise47
    10 years ago

Mtnrdredux, Beautiful room!
    I love both of the chandeliers you posted.
    I like the reeds on the second chandelier --
    reminds me of beach grass at the shore
    and feels like just the right touch of fanciful.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Pottery Barn

• Janice742
    10 years ago

Some are probably too "heavy" for your liking...

• Arapaho-Rd
    10 years ago

I see there are sconces on either side of the fireplace - can we get a better view of those? Also, you mention using the table for games, etc. My chandelier does not have shades and the glare from the light can be bothersome. Not sure if that's a factor or not for you.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, GW to the rescue, as always! Thank you for all of your help.

Janice, I picked out that first one and fifth, too. So delicate! I had a question about the one you posted that is sort of boat-shaped, with glass disks, third from the bottom? Where is that from? It reminds me of the one I like that is too big. I am coming to realize that I really would prefer and elongated light.

Nsoccermom, I like the jar one; maybe for my kitchen?

Francoise, Thank you. I wasn't crazy about the reeds, but found myself oddly attracted to the ugly beauty of the oyster shells. In fact I really like this one, but DH just rolled his eyes:

Thanks, Arapaho. I'm not coordinating with anything else, except the house itself, a grey cedar shingle beach house, 1906. I kind of want to stick to the prewar era, but could make an exception.

PPBenn, that is pretty! Are those crystals?

KSWL, OMG I went through about 40 pages of First Dibs last night (and that was by eliminating anything over $6,000 ... the high end was over $1,000,000, LOL... gotta love 1st Dibs). A few of the things I really liked were shipping from Europe. Problem is the elements that made them special was usually the glass ... which would be irreplaceable if broken. I will post some of the contenders later.

Eandhl, I have been looking for Maine metal artists but they all seem to do heavy wrought iron stuff. Too bad, id love to commission one.

Daisychain, totally open to 2 fixtures. I like milk glass ones, saw a few of those. Mercury or vaseline glass, too. Thank you for your kind words! I am not hiring a decorator, so I will be leaning on you guys a lot. : )

Localeater, AceIron is too country; like a lot of the Maine artists I've found. The Cosette is so pretty. I showed it to DH and he said -- we already have that in our MBR (here in CT). He's right, it's very close --- he picked it out. I am not sure why it matters, but he says he wants something different ...

ATKillery, thank you! I really like the first one, too, as does DH. I like the shape and its delicacy. I like the light tone of the metal.

Thanks, Lazydasiy.

MLWeaving, I love the round arctic pear. I also like the idea of using something unexpected. I will have to price and size and and run it by DH. The painted glass is too colorful for me, but I can imagine they are beautiful with the light turned on.

Lyban, Yes, it is now ours! We closed Friday and spent the weekend. It was so cathartic to rip those curtains off every single window in the house! I tried to wash them and give them to good will, but most didn't survive the wash.

Beagles, I forgot Shades of Light! Will go look. I agree about losing the shade on the first one...

• jenniferPA
    10 years ago

How about two, or even three, semiflush mount chandeliers? I say this because you mention the dining table for playing games, etc. Our dining table doubles as an art table for my kids and I replaced the hanging chandelier with semiflush, it feels less crowded for lack of a better word. Also would definitely not block the view of the window.

• Janice742
    10 years ago

Currey and Co.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chandeliers

This post was edited by Janice742 on Wed, Oct 16, 13 at 13:51

• nini804
    10 years ago

Oh, I so love that first one you posted...it looks so light and French to me! They don't have it a bit smaller? Oh...and that hydrangea is AMAZING!! Please post a photo when it is in full bloom!

• Arapaho-Rd
    10 years ago

I could be way off but thought you might like this...

Here is a link that might be useful: Rejuvenation Chicago Chandelier

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

I love the one from Rejuvination.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Arapaho and Red,
    I love it. I do think it is a bit toooo informal, though. But I am bookmarking it for my kitchen. My kind of thing -- basically very simple, but with a little twist!

Nini,
    I really do like the shape for the table, and the airiness. I think it is informal but not rustic.

Happy to say, I found either the original maker of that chandy (the very first one I posted above), or someone who copies them, on Etsy. I am having her quote me one in a smaller size, and in copper, which I then want to verdigris. I also asked her to put small holes in the candle saucers (term?) so that I can, if I want, hang oyster shells or seaglass or nothing at all. I'm totally psyched.

• mae.nov
    10 years ago

I really like the two that you chose.

• Jules
    10 years ago

Would you please post the Etsy shop?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Mae,

Juju, the link is below

Here is a link that might be useful: custom lighting

• luckygal
    10 years ago

Love the view of that gorgeous hydrangea shrub!

The first site I think about for 'different' is
    "TonicHome".

Here's a "faux coral chandy" that might work if you use 2 of them as I don't think one is large enough.

There is this one that "looks like driftwood" but is likely too rustic and may not provide enough light. Very different tho.

Have fun making this decision - there are sooo many styles of chandies I think I'd choose 6 and draw one out of a hat! LOL

• Jules
    10 years ago

Thanks, mtn. It's very exciting that you found someone to replicate the first chandelier on a smaller scale because it's perfect.

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

I was also going to suggest checking Rejuvenation, and have you looked at Hubbardton Forge?

Love that room. I can't wait to come over for lunch!

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

I fell for these lights a long time ago, would love to see someone take advantage of them. Perhaps a customized Scabetti?

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

Poorly photoshopped, side view. Goal was to show that actual light would be translucent, and allow you to see through.

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

Now I'm thinking - long, rectangular, table length custom dark iron fixture). Perhaps with Edison style lightbulbs a la mamadadapaige?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Juju,

SueB, I'd love to have you over for lunch.

OldBat 2 be, those are very cool. Why does customized Scabetti sounds like it will rival the cost of a small domestic car.

All, I have found someone to make my first choice for me. I am just unsure of size. But they say the chandy should be 75% of the table width. By that measure, what i think of as a behemoth, the original at 60x32x24, is less than 75% of either the W or L of our table, which is 54" by 113". I don't know, it seems like the size of 1st grader to me...

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hmm, if I understand Pal's math for Threeapples, then my room is 22x12, and 22+12 equals 34 so i should want something ... 34 inches wide? or 34 inches in any direction?