Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
franksmom_2010

Favorite paint for furniture?

franksmom_2010
9 years ago

I usually use Behr, and the only problem I've ever had with the paint is blocking. It seems to stick to every single thing that sits on it, and this can take months to fully resolve/cure.

I'm about to paint a table that has several leaves, and the whole sliding mechanism is wood, so I don't want any blocking. It's going to be my sewing table, so it needs to be a sturdy finish.

I have used ACE cabinet and trim paint before-horrible product that I would never use again. BM Satin Impervo- also not worth the drive to get it.

Any other suggestions? I just actually read some positive reviews about Rustoleum's Painter's Touch in a can. I do love their Heirloom White...

Comments (11)

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

Franksmom, I paint vintage furniture and sell it in an antique mall. I tried regular latex paint in an eggshell finish, but when it got wet, it peeled off like you would expect rubber to peel off. I also found it didn't brush on smoothly since it's a thicker paint.

I now use an acrylic paint I get at Hobby Lobby. I use 2 coats and get very good coverage. I don't know the name, but it comes in a jar, not in the small plastic bottle, or tube, only because it's the color I prefer~I paint all my furniture blue. I have used the smaller bottles also with success. I finish with a water base poly which gives a nice smooth finish. I've never tried any of the chalk paints since I've been very satisfied with what I've been using the last 5 years~ why fix it if it ain't broke?

• gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    9 years ago

latex paint takes at least 30 days to fully cure, maybe more depending on humidity.

• Elraes Miller
    9 years ago

Patty...I'm so glad some else is using craft paint for furniture. It has never let me down and the color options are huge. Even when I haven't sanded, the paint goes on like a dream and stands up to a lot of abuse. Of course this depends upon the project. Oddly, have suggested this before on some posts, but the idea is ignored.

I also buy the larger bottles and mix colors if wanted. Wait for a sale and one coat is all that is needed. Not sure how the cost works out, but I'm not changing proven results. Also, depending upon the finish wanted, I like soft and use Pledge on the finished product.

Think the paint you are using is for acrylic artists..which comes in a jar. Interesting to know the difference, although it is much thicker than hobby acrylics.

Love knowing I have a paint buddy.

Don't know if this is successful, but ACE told me that Porch/Floor paint does a great job on cabinets. Paint confuses me with so much offered at this point. And not sure, even with proven success on furniture, if I would use craft acrylic on kitchen cupboards.

• tuesday_2008
    9 years ago

Rustoleum American Accents is a wonderful furniture paint. Brushes on like butter! I have never had any stickiness with this paint,

Here is a link that might be useful: Rustoleum American Accents

• madeyna
    9 years ago

I used rustoleum on my nightstands and it hardened up really nice. I used craft paint on my daughtersdresser and its doing fine after 13 years but its never had hard use.

• graywings123
    9 years ago

If you are going with white or a pastel color, Cabinet Coat might work for you. I use it on my windows and trim.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cabinet Coat

• franksmom_2010
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much for the suggestions!

Now that you mention it, I have used craft paint on the insides of drawers, and it's held up great. I'm one of those that likes the WHOLE piece to be finished, including the drawers and back.

I may also try the Rustoleum. I'll go to town and see which of the two options is available. If I end up using the small bottles of craft paint, is the coverage comparable to other paints? How much would you buy to finish a small dining table with two leaves?

• louislinus
    9 years ago

I painted my dining room table, 8 chairs and a buffet this summer and it turned out great. I used Rustoleum Painter's Touch. Spray paint is oil based so it is a very durable finish. I also added 2 coats of Polycrilic after the paint. My only complaint is that using spray paint was very expensive compared to using a gallon of latex. I was amazed at how quickly a can of spray paint was gone. But the finish was really terrific and no brush marks.

• Michael
    9 years ago

Krylon makes a very good paint for furniture tops.

• cat_ky
    9 years ago

I used the painters touch in qt can (not spray), for my coffee table and side tables in the living room. Also used it for a 4 poster bed, dresser, and chest, and night stand. I let it all sit and cure for about a week, and then put on two coats of polycrylic in satin finish. So far, no nicks on anything, and there are 4 little ones in my living room playing, a lot. I used black. I did however use a bonding primer after a good sanding.

• franksmom_2010
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, the "big" HD that's on my way home from work had just about every color and sheen of Rustoleum in a can...except heirloom white. Rats!

I think I'm stuck on that color now, since I already have some accessories for the room painted with the spray paint, so I've decided that it's the perfect color and medium, and nothing else will do. This means that I won't be able to find the brush-on locally, will have to order online, pay for shipping, etc. That's just how I seem to roll these days. Not a thing is fast, cheap or easy.

*sigh*There's another HD and a few Walmart's I can hit this weekend and see what they have. If all else fails, I'll take a swatch of it to the craft store and get the craft paint. Will any brand do, or would you use the permium brands?

I just don't want to spray paint it. I spray a lot of things with pretty good success, but my attempts at larger pieces just don't work out.

I think the biggest issue is that there are too many surfaces to cover in too many planes-as opposed to say a flat picture frame. The sheen never comes out right, there's overspray, drips, etc. Spray paint is my go-to makeover for small accessories, but I just do a much better job with a brush on something like furniture.