Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lnia

Paint Color Decorating Advice for Den and Dining Room

lynn
11 years ago

Good Evening Gardwenweb Decorators,

I would like some color advice for our dining room and den.

In the den we have a coffered ceiling that will be painted BM Dove White, along with all the other trim. We were thinking of BM Weathersfield Moss for the wall and BM Nantucket Grey for the ceiling to further accentuate the coffer. Do you think these two colors work together or would you recommend different combo?

Since we have a relatively open floor plan, the majority of the 1st floor will be Lenox Tan. We were thinking in the dining room we would have the Dover White Wainscotting and Trim, with Lenox Tan above the wainscotting. We have a niche that we were considering popping with a color like Georgian Red or more neutral woodstock tan. This room also has a tray ceiling. The tray would be the BM Dover White but we were thinking about a different color for the ceiling. Any color advice or should I keep with the lenox tan for the ceiling? I was originally thinking the niche and the ceiling should be same color but the color options I have identified are too dark for the ceiling, or at least I think so.

I would appreciate any advice you may have.

Many thanks!

Comments (7)

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Can you post photos of the whole space?

• lynn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

See pictures! Thank you for the suggestion to post pictures, bronwynsmom!

Picture of dining room:

Picture of niche in dining room:

coffered ceiling- trim will be painted white.

• lynn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi,
    Are there guidelines around ceiling colors having to be lighter than the walls? I found on BM's website complimenting colors for lenox and weathersfield, but some are darker. Not sure if this would be acceptable or if it would make my room feel smaller.
    Thanks.

• sheesh
    11 years ago

Just today I put the finishing touches on the exterior of my house in Lenox Tan with Micro Tan trim. They are gorgeous together. The Micro Tan is a beautiful creamy buttery color, not tan at all, but perfect with the Lenox Tan. It would be great on your ceiling and wainscot. FYI, my front door is now spicey curry, sort of an orangey-reddish shade, neither dark nor light, but just right, certainly not orange, but I don't know how else to describe it.

• lynn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Shermann. I will definitely check it out. So definitely go lighter for the ceiling?

THanks!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

You can put a darker color on the ceiling if you wish. I have darker ceilings in my master bath, DH's study and am just painting the coffered ceiling in our hallway eggplant. It tends to bring the ceiling height down, but your ceilings look plenty high so it won't be an issue.

I have lenox tan in a bedroom and it is very dark. I don't mean dark in color, but dark in that it absorbs every ounce of light we put in the room.

It looks to me like the other colors you've chosen will also read dark on the walls. If this is the look you are going for, fine, but if not, you might want to look at something similar but with a little more life like dry sage....which they suggest goes with maple leaf red....

It's hard for me to say though as I have no sunlight today...very overcast...so my color samples aren't reading true.

wethersfield moss
    {{!gwi}}

dry sage
    {{!gwi}}

• lynn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Annie D on your insights. I do like the dry sage color you recommended as well as it is a little lighter/livelier. The room faces West so we will have plenty of light.. So many pretty colors to choose from...I guess this is a good dilemma to have!