Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_459360

Any Ideas for this Hurricane?

User
9 years ago

I bought this ribbed glass hurricane lamp / candleholder with a satin brass base and itt has turned out to be unsuitable for the dining table----it's too large to talk around and not high enough to talk under, iykwim.

The top diameter is about six or seven inches, and its height is 14". I would love to use it in my library, maybe as one solution to the oval cocktail table styling dilemma, lol, but I don't know what to do with it.

Any ideas for everyday? Christmas?

In the picture there is a regular height pillar candle that fits into the inset metal holder, which as you can see is not really tall enough, is it? And then the stuff around it, small pinecones and cinnamon sticks and holly berries and leaves, don't come up far enough around the candle to look right because. The hurricane is too tall for any candle in it to look proportional.

This post was edited by kswl on Wed, Oct 15, 14 at 21:55

Comments (10)

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

I see nothing! Picture where are you?

• Olychick
    9 years ago

Fill it with glass ball or mercury glass ball ornaments.

I'd use a battery operated light string:

{{!gwi}}

To use a candle in it, you could turn a glass jar or vase upside down and place it inside. Set the candle on the insert, then fill the hurricane to hide what the candle is setting on...you could even put a silver or crystal plate to hold the candle (on top of the inserted glass piece to disguise it).

Here is a link that might be useful: fabulous ideas here

This post was edited by olychick on Wed, Oct 15, 14 at 22:11

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

I think it's too tall to use on a coffee table, but it would look nice on a buffet, mantel or console/sofa table. It's too bad you don't have two because I think they look especially nice as a pair flanking another object in the center.

Interesting use of beans:

Easter styling:

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Fun2b, I could actually return this one and get two matching hurricanes exactly like this except 16" high---- even taller than this one, where on earth will I put them? I guess I could use them on the dining table if all the leaves were in the table, and put them where they don't block the line of sight between any two people across from each other. They are very casual though, and obviously can't be used on the table with silver, or on the sideboard which has a lot of silver---- coffee and tea service on a tray, Georgian candelabras, etc. I guess I could put that stuff away and do brass and gold accoutrements. It's funny that once you park silver hollowware in a room it seems to take over.

I could find some small ornaments for it and forget the candle.

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

I know what you mean about silver holloware becoming a focal point. However, you can mix warm and cool metals. You just have to balance the visual amount of each.

Your idea of using two spaced to not interfere with any diner's view sounds like it would work.

I have a friend whose spinet piano is in the living room. She puts her hurricanes on that when she isn't using them on the dining table.

• nutsaboutplants
    9 years ago

How about using it on a side board or mantle filled with seasonal items and layered with other things of different heights and shape?

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

A taller, thinner pillar inside would be simple and lovely. I've never understood why some people feel the need to fill them with a bunch of junk. Plain and simple is so pretty :)

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I didn't even know candles came in that tall size, errant. I order Root candles from our florist and just never see candles to buy. (Not that there's any place to buy them around here!). I will look for the tall pillars, thanks!

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

You're welcome! Hanna's 3x9 on Amazon are good candles :)

• musicteacher
    9 years ago

Errant, that is such a pretty picture. I kind of smile at calling a mantle decorated with 10 candles, a candy dish, a fruit bowl, a flower arrangement, two sconces and some extra bling "plain and simple". lol I do like it - especially the taller candles.