Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debo214

Paint this door

Debo214
9 years ago

I posted this in the paint forum but I think this is probably a more appropriate place to ask the question. What color would you paint this front door?

Comments (26)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Some suggestions

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Another

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Here's another

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

And yet another, especially since I'm in my purple phase...

• ophelia7
    9 years ago

pastel colors or burgundy/mahogany.

btw, how you guys can change the color of the door only? is it pts or something about this site that idk?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I saved an image of her picture and uploaded it into Sherwin Williams color visualizer software and colored it there. Ben Moore and Pittsburgh paints each have their own version of the software so you can ... after you figure out how to use the software ... parse the areas you want to do a color change on and then color it. I then take a screen shot to upload the results here.

• Debo214
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow that is awesome! Thanks! You definitely chose colors I hadn't considered. I was thinking a brick red but I really like that green/blue too!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

How about the gorgeous Ben Moore Wenge, a purpley brown.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I prefer the pastels, but here are some deeper tones.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

My problem is, it's easier to use the SW color visualizer, but I really don't like their color selection as much as BM's.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Another

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I didn't save the color names as I figure these are just for ideas...you'd need to figure the exact shade in person.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Finally here is a brick color that you were perhaps considering.

• bossyvossy
    9 years ago

I like the brick color best. The problem is, IMO, the huge hedge under windows in the massive wall . They are so distracting that it is very hard to highlight the door. It plays 2nd fiddle to the big wall , no matter what

I would eliminate the hedge row and plant annuals by the walkway leading to door in the hopes of giving door the attention it deserves. Maybe plant a small tree between two windows and dwarf shrubs under windows to soften the brick wall. It's a monster! I think landscaping reorganizing will do more than paint, but again the brick red is nice

• Kiwigem
    9 years ago

Another vote for that last deep coral color. Gorgeous.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

While I tip my hat to the effort that Annie put into coloring the door, I find the pastels make the house look a little too Easter egg-ish. On my monitor the house appears to be a pale yellow with peach quoins and window trim. IMHO the grays and the Wenge keep it from looking too twee.

Would black be too stark?

Debo are you in a coastal area where pastels rule the day? If so, that would color my opinion (no pun intended).

• Elraes Miller
    9 years ago

I personally like the light teal the best. But am in a teal feel right now, and haven't even got there. If you like purple, perhaps an eggplant. It would mean looking at all the colors of one, but I like the dark door too and eggplant would bow to this. Add a planter to the right in a color that works with the door.

You didn't mention this, but I would (at some point) extend the porch overhang a bit beyond the post and put up a gutter across.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

I missed the coral. It does look very nice. And bossyvossy's suggestions about plantings are spot on.

• Debo214
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am in central Florida so no I don't have to roll with the costal look. I am loving the last color! As for reorganizing the landscape, I do see what you mean but i won't be able to rip out those hedges. I could possibly do a trellis to take up that large wall.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

would also paint that white trim and the trim around the windows and in those square accents. In fact, I'd paint the stucco a richer color as well.

But you asked about the door! At the very least, though, I think the white trim clashes with the peach trim on the windows and those squares, and both colors are rather dull. IMO.

• Debo214
    Original Author
    9 years ago

yes the overall house colors are rather dull but alas, I can not afford to repaint the entire house at this time. I will need new interior paint, new flooring and a kitchen reno first- lol! but a pretty new door color can give me a mini-face lift :)

And now I'm going to be obsessed with the big blank wall...what to do, what to do??

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

If you do the painting, interior and exterior, yourself, you'll save a TON of money and then can get more done! :-)

• bbstx
    9 years ago

Debo, even if right now is not good timing to have the landscaping changed, you could cut it back a great deal. Ask the county agent to advise you on how to cut back and when. Below is a link to find your county agent's office. Their advice is free.

Here is a link that might be useful: UF County Extension service map

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

I agree with Tibb about changing out the paint colors on the whole house, but since you can't do that now, I love the coral door.

• Kiwigem
    9 years ago

I don't think you need to repaint the whole place. That color works for your house and your locale. And it's genuinely attractive with the right door color.

Coral door, better landscaping. Smashing. :-)

• Debo214
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks kiwigem!!