Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sochi

A few things for the cottage I love

sochi
9 years ago

Most of the rooms in the cottage aren't ready yet from a design sense - still waiting for a DR table, coffee table, beds, etc., so I won't post much of the rooms right now. As I finish putting it all together over the coming weeks I will definitely share as I ask for advice.

In the meantime a few items I purchased for the cottage that I love:

Salt and pepper grinder, white oak (from etsy):

Saw this hand carved cherry bird at a local art sale and loved it. The vanity is silver maple, still needs to be oiled.

Another bird, local antique store. Not sure where he will live permanently:

Small wooden planters purchased from Etsy:

Plus cheese/serving platter and old wooden bowl (from local church sale)

Candle sticks (maple) also from same seller on Etsy as the planters and flame birch cheese board.

The tableware is from (!) Indigo books online.

A few more of the house.

All lit up:

With a few leaves down after rain this weekend a clearer view of our bay:

Not my photo obviously, will post once my bed arrives. Linen sheets - the white pillow cases and bed sheet are from Rough Linen (couldn't resist given the high praise the sheets scored here), plus the indigo linen duvet cover from Restoration Hardware pictured here:

Comments (30)

• sochi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry I can't edit the title, should be a few things I love for the cottage, but anyway, you get the idea.

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

I dunno, I think your title says it well.

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

Me too - the wording works flipped either way.

Beautiful pieces and they really show the dynamic in the cottage. The picture of the chest of drawers stopped me - had the exact same piece when first married - wish I'd kept it.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

The house at night took my breath away. I am a convert to the dark side; modernism. Or whatever ism it is!

• daki
    9 years ago

Earthy simplicity...so very wonderful :)

• Bunny
    9 years ago

The photo taken outside at night brings a tear to my eye. :)

• nutsaboutplants
    9 years ago

Love everything! What an eye you have and how lovingly you choose everything for this space! The bird sitting on the chest of drawers is my favorite though I love everything.

• rockybird
    9 years ago

Great choices! I especially like the bird. I'm checking out those sheets also. Will have to search reviews of them.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Sochi, everything you chose is just perfect for your cottage. I'm delighted that you are purchasing Rough Linen for your bed. I just love the wonderful feel of the sheets. It is truly a pleasure to crawl into bed each night.

• ck_squared
    9 years ago

That night shot is breathtaking! Just gorgeous! Love all your little treasures that you've found.

• Patty C
    9 years ago

I love everything about your cottage. It is incredible; so serene and in touch with nature, and with such a unique spin on modern/contemporary. I love the dishes too; the different colors you have chosen are perfect!

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Love everything!

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

I'm enjoying all of your pictures of your cottage. It looks like a wonderful place to live. I like the bird on the dresser. While that one is antique, I think you said, it reminds me of Jonathan Adler's designs.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

So impressive! So well thought out...love the lights under the cantilever!

• Kathy Harrington
    9 years ago

beautiful! Perfect home for the perfect location. caught a glimpse of your floors. What wood are they and stained or natural?

• cat_mom
    9 years ago

So nice!!!

• TamaraTomNC
    9 years ago

Sochi, I just love your dinnerware. How long have you had it? Are you happy with its durability? Are the colors pretty similar to how they look on the !ndigo website?

TIA

• allison0704
    9 years ago

Can someone post a link to the !ndigo website? My computer won't let me even search for it with the ! TIA

• User
    9 years ago

allison here you go....it looks different from what sochi has...

Here is a link that might be useful: indigo canada

• sochi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Trail's link is correct. Sorry about the confusion with the exclamation mark, Indigo/Chapters is a book store here in Canada, I was surprised to find dinnerware I liked so much there.

I bought mine last fall, but only started using them a few weeks ago. So far so great. They are currently on sale buy three get one free. Anyone in Canada or close to the border can see them in the stores. Some of the colours I chose don't seem to be available now, but some are. They are the hand glazed ones.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Those pics look like they should be in a magazine. That nighttime photo is amazing.

I hope you have the ability to open windows to listen to the running water and the wind in the trees! What an incredible spot you've got.

• sochi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Tibbrix! Many windows do open, as do the DR doors, loving the sounds of falling leaves at the moment.

Just noticed that the 4 for 3 sale of dinnerware ends tonight at midnight, pacific time. I'm buying a few more. Look for the artisanal collection. Mine are a mix of grey, green, matte black and blue.

• likewhatyoudo
    9 years ago

What a stunning "cottage" you have. You have such a good eye for photography. Did you build this or remodel? Can't wait to see the rest of the place.

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

Will you be lighting any of the trees?

I can only say I envy your good eye for knowing what will work. Especially that bird. I would have overlooked that.

• sochi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

rtwilliams, thank you. Here is a link to a post from a couple of weeks ago with some other pictures of the cottage. It is a new build, not totally finished yet, still need an interior railing, a bit of work done in the upstairs bathroom, finishing of rooms, etc.

emmarene - yes, I would like to light up some of the trees. Since we don't have window treatments I think that will help with the big black holes that the windows turn into at night.

Here is a link that might be useful: cottage pictures

• loribee
    9 years ago

Enjoying this journey, too. Please keep sharing... :)

• User
    9 years ago

Unifying principles of beauty, simplicity, and organic shape---perfect!

• LanaRoma
    9 years ago

Awesome pieces! Love how the simple shapes make the beauty of the materials stand out. They are so in tune with the house overall: simple and organic.

What I love about your house is that it immerses you in the natural setting. No elaborate decor to distract from the nature's beauty.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Sochi, I"m assuming you're all set with lighting, but I came across this gorgeous contemporary pendant and thought of your "cottage".

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

Awesome, that is all I can say.