Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linley1_gw

Off-center table & DR chandelier

linley1
15 years ago

We are finishing the remodel on our new house and I'm trying to decide on lighting. In the DR, we added a set of 4 panel French Doors which open are centered in the room and are directly across from the arched entry. The current chandelier is also centered in the DR.

I have a breakfront I love which I want to use in the DR but it will mean that the DR table will then be off-center. I know that normally the chandelier is centered over the DR table but will this look bad since the French Doors are such a focal point in the DR?

Comments (8)

• budge1
    15 years ago

While ours is an older home, we have a similar set up (windows not doors though). If we didn't have the buffet, our chandelier could be centered on the table. Honestly though, I don't think anyone has ever noticed and it doesn't bother me at all.

• 2ajsmama
    15 years ago

Builders always center the chandy in the room even when there's a door(way) in the way! Except mine, that I had him move the chandy to where the table was going to be and then they centered the sconces on the wall instead of behind the table (sigh). Anyway, unless you're prepared to rewire with light box and patch/paint the ceiling (and you can't "bury" a junction box so it could mean ripping out a lot of the ceiling), just live with it. Maybe it's not a big deal since you're remodeling anyway? If you don't move it and it really bothers you, you can swag the light over.

• johnatemp
    15 years ago

My sis had a designer help her while building her house - the smartest thing the designer did was take into account her buffet in her DR. She then centered the light over the table.

If you moved the box to be centered over the table - you could always use a medallion to cover the old hole.
    But then again, most people will never notice. I never noticed Budge1's & I love her chandelier.
    Smiles:)

• jerseygirl_1
    15 years ago

The chandy does not need to be centered to the room nor does it need to be centered with a window or door. It's so easy to have to the box moved and to have the hole from the previous box spackled over.

I moved ours in the breakfast room and will to doing the same in our DR. It bothered me not to have the lighting centered with our table. But then that's me.

• 2ajsmama
    15 years ago

Jerseygirl - how did they run the wiring to the new location? If you made the connection in the old box and then spackled over it, it's a code violation.

• jerseygirl_1
    15 years ago

I had a electrician do it. As a matter of fact, it was one that worked for the builder. I should have said "add a box" not have it moved. I know for sure he added a new box and did not remove the old one. We did spackle over it. I am not sure how he wired it but I know being in code was part of the conversation.

I have other neighbors who have done the same.

• Barbaras14_aim_com
    13 years ago

my dilemma is in my formal living room. The chandelier is now centered in the room, which looks nice. however, i'd like to have my electrician move it about two feet so is can be hung a little low and centered over my coffee table (which is a large square 48"x48". Just not sure if i'll like the end result. Any ideas or opinions??? PLEEAASSEE!!